Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Death of a Gardiners Extreme

Green Pro Clean Ltd

Ok so not a death, just a serious injury.  Using my 25ft extreme and put it up to a bedroom window to hear CRACK - Yep my pole had folded back on itself where top section meets second. 

20180810_075120.jpg

Oh well these things happen.... not to worry, it's under warranty as only got it in October.   

Answer a few questions and send some pictures says the email from Gardiners.... so I do.  The response was.....  

Due to the fact the fact that the stop tape was missing I had failed to maintain the pole properly and it had worn unevenly due to no stop tape on the pole (even though you can see the remnants of the tape and how even that has worn un-evenly)  the break is not covered by warranty.    What a seriously weak excuse. Not that anyone with 10 years experience on WFP needs a stop tape to know where to clamp a pole. 

To replace this section is £78.  No big deal but sure it's possibly a big chunk of the profit on a pole like this so I can see their reluctance to just replace it.  I would probably have just bought a new section had the excuse not been so weak. It's got me a touch miffed. 

Not yet decided what to do about the pole but when you spend ££££s on a top suppliers pole you expect some kind of guarantee, some kind of peace of mind. 

I have used Gardiners exclusively for a long time now cause of the product reputation and the customer service reputation, in fact just last month ordered another 30ft SLX from them however now feeling my blind faith has been somewhat misplaced.  

I guess it is time to attend this years show and get a good look at what else is available these days as warranties dont seem to be worth the paper they're printed on. Perhaps even the new offerings from WCW even though the thought of their customer service makes me nauseous.   

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok so not a death, just a serious injury.  Using my 25ft extreme and put it up to a bedroom window to hear CRACK - Yep my pole had folded back on itself where top section meets second. 

View attachment 14531

Oh well these things happen.... not to worry, it's under warranty as only got it in October.   

Answer a few questions and send some pictures says the email from Gardiners.... so I do.  The response was.....  

Due to the fact the fact that the stop tape was missing I had failed to maintain the pole properly and it had worn unevenly due to no stop tape on the pole (even though you can see the remnants of the tape and how even that has worn un-evenly)  the break is not covered by warranty.    What a seriously weak excuse. Not that anyone with 10 years experience on WFP needs a stop tape to know where to clamp a pole. 

To replace this section is £78.  No big deal but sure it's possibly a big chunk of the profit on a pole like this so I can see their reluctance to just replace it.  I would probably have just bought a new section had the excuse not been so weak. It's got me a touch miffed. 

Not yet decided what to do about the pole but when you spend ££££s on a top suppliers pole you expect some kind of guarantee, some kind of peace of mind. 

I have used Gardiners exclusively for a long time now cause of the product reputation and the customer service reputation, in fact just last month ordered another 30ft SLX from them however now feeling my blind faith has been somewhat misplaced.  

I guess it is time to attend this years show and get a good look at what else is available these days as warranties dont seem to be worth the paper they're printed on. Perhaps even the new offerings from WCW even though the thought of their customer service makes me nauseous.   
Could go back to water genie viper?

I have done exactly the same thing 3 times with the top section of my extream 18 I find they last about 8 months : the sections are thinner than the slx that’s how they make them lighter and any ware at all significantly weakens the section , mine had also worn away the end tape it’s supost to act as bearing to stop the end of the section moving up and down and rubbing on the second section , I like the extream poles but they are no ware near as robust as a six and I treat mine with respect , I don’t have the time to be taking a pole apart and fiddling with it every week checking and cleaning it and replacing tape , I have a six pole cannot remember how long I’ve had it but it’s one of the original ones when they first came out with the old style clamps never been taken apart or cleaner no tape replacement and it’s seen some serious amount of use and is still in daily use no issues at all  , I like the extream but the six is a far superior pole for longevity 

This is very interesting.

Im close to replacing my 3 poles and was considering the extremes.

One of my SLX poles is over 4 years old and hasn’t been dismantled once.

I do pour soapy water down them at the end of each day.

Extremes are obviously lighter, but the SLX tougher. Choices, choices......? ?

That response isn't great. There may be some disagreement about it being covered by warranty or not, realistically i'm sure they know you well enough to know you won't need them to put the pole together for you, just send you the replacement section. Even if they said have it for £40 as a gesture of goodwill.... just anything the show they are tryna resolve the situation.

I had a similar issue recently, on a much smaller scale and probably more my fault than this was your fault.... Bought a new shut off valve as the barb on my old one broke and I had to bypass it. The old one lasted 10 months and the new one is meant to be stronger. 3 weeks in and 2 barbs broke an the handle snapped off. I send in a pic and was told it was down to the item being dragged along the floor. I don't drag it anywhere but it does go on the floor a lot, if I'm up a step ladder, in the back of the van etc. The response from the tech team was....

''These will have been broken by the the same abrasion that is wearing away a fairly new valve body - see attached photo showing this.  Such abrasion should be avoided by changing the method of use.

We recommend holding the valve off the ground in use - (Link to Youtube Video).  
Other clients tape the valve to the handle of the pole so it is close to hand and does not get damaged.

Another option is to fit Protecta-Balls either side of the valve.''

I had already watched the video on this and feel I was pretty much doing everything asked.....

Anyway, long story short this thing cost me a tenner and they just said tough luck. A few weeks before I had an issue with a solenoid shut off. When I first plugged it in it lit up, all of a sudden it didn't light up. Previously it lit up regardless what was plugged in and all of a sudden it wouldn't light up at all. I tried calling and it tells you they are an internet based company which really discourages you from ringing so I thought, I know I'll send an email. In the email I said at the bottom.... ''Please feel free to call me and discuss if it's easier'' They just asked me to send my solenoid back.... They found no fault, apparently the light should only come on when the tank is full which is fine. They tell me its £6 to get it back... I asked them to throw it in with my next order but I told them I thought they should re think that as they didn't offer me technical support over the phone first where that could have been resolved easily and quickly.

I haven't forgotten all the help the guys have given me there since I started. I haven't forgotten the girl who sat on the phone for an hour with me for my first order, talking me through step by step every step of the system I was building and what I would need. But as I say above, a gesture of goodwill, for you perhaps offering the pole section for £40 or so, for me returning my item for free etc etc. I appreciate they can't offer these gestures to everyone all the time but if they go profit mad then they lose the ability to look at situations from other peoples point of view!

I am real Gardiners fan like most but I have always been apprehensive about the current Xtreme wear rates and your pic @Green Pro Clean Ltd proves it my thoughts are the only think to do is laquer the pole from brand new out of the box and continue to do it at least once a month. I would just swap the section for a old SLX section you will hardly notice the difference 

Yes the Extremes are lighter but that was not why I found it to be a great choice it was because of the stiffness. 

Back in 2007 I I was hospitalized for 9 months in the USA after a bad off-roading accident where I broke almost every last bone in my body and due to this I suffer with what can only be described as a chronic RSI in my left elbow ever since when using WFP due to how the poles flex and the energy gets returned. This was happening 3 to 5 times a day causing my elbow to painfully spasm and my left hand to shoot open droping whatever I'm holding.   

From day 1 using an extreme and due to the stiffness this pole has the problem TOTALLY vanished.   

I dont buy the pole to say 'oooh I have an extreme' but because it literally allowed me to keep working.  

I'm not fussed it broke... s**t happens.   I will most likely end up replacing the top section for £78 which also bothers me not.   It was just the total B.S. reason they gave for why it happened.  As I say I have been loyal and a big advocate of theirs for a long time and will continue to speak well of them for the most part however it is definitely time to visit the show and start broadening my horizons.  

Two final points:  

1: After 2 days on the SLX 30 my employee Andy says he actually prefers the SLX and wants to keep that one in his van. 

2: When Fiona at Gardiner called me to let me know that the service department had made a decision and sent me an email with their decision I asked her to outline it briefly for me as I was busy on a job. The poor girl sounded almost embarrassed as she read the report back to me.   

The poor girl sounded almost embarrassed as she read the report back to me.

Its not easy for anyone to pass on a message that the customer will be unhappy about.

So does this mean that you have added Gardiners onto that long list of suppliers you recently highlighted as ones you won't deal with; Brodex, WCW, Xline to name a few. ?

The poor girl sounded almost embarrassed as she read the report back to me.

Its not easy for anyone to pass on a message that the customer will be unhappy about.

So does this mean that you have added Gardiners onto that long list of suppliers you recently highlighted as ones you won't deal with; Brodex, WCW, Xline to name a few. ?
Not at all @spruce 

I avoid Brodex as you dont know from one day to the next whos running the company.  

As for X-line as you know James Daykin screwed me over personally in quite  a large way but I think you know that tale. 

WCW came down to a few things - primarily in 2015 we had the builders clean for New St refurbishment in Birmingham for six weeks.  I placed an order for enough gear to keep 12 lads working trad for six weeks (wagtails, poles, s-lines etc etc etc)  paid for next day as lads needed the stuff.......   next day a part (a small part) of the order arrives.   

I phone them to see where the rest is... 'Oh dont worry it's on back order and will be despatched once we have it' ... 'hold on... your web site said nothing about the items being out of stock?'

..  'Oh no it's too complex to have a system integrated that can track stock levels'

Seriously? 

Turns out that all items on their web site may or may not actually be in stock. 

In April this year I gave them another shot and ordered a pole hose from them.  It turned up and was defective. Very poor extrusion to the point it had caused pin holes in many feet of the hose. Received in early April and by start of this week (2nd week in August) Still no refund.  

When I ripped into them earlier in the week.....'oh it was overlooked' 

Yes I have been refunded this week after only 4 months. 

I lived in the U.S. for almost 2 decades @spruce and the one over the top thing they do right is Customer Service.  

Brodex need to sort their stuff out as it's not bad stuff.... just poor management as they seem to go bust every other weekend. 

WCW - need a system that tracks stock in real time (probably already in place) and a more attentive customer service. Then who knows?

X-line will never see business from me but that's cause of how Daykin personally screwed me over. 

Here's the kicker @spruce. Within 12 hours of bringing the problem to Gardiners attention we have a resolve..  sure not to my liking but still a response and resolve all the same.  Of course I will continue to buy from them but lesson learnt... I now have no faith in the warranty on their poles so before dropping £700 on one I may as well see whats out there. Remove the warranties, guarantees etc and base the poles on just the poles without their 'added value' of a warranty which turns out to have no value anyway. 

No disrespect to Alex Gardiner but regarding my brand new swivel connection for the reel that  leaked from day 1 I was told just to stick ptf tape around it. Surely that shouldn’t be the case either with something that is new 

No disrespect to Alex Gardiner but regarding my brand new swivel connection for the reel that  leaked from day 1 I was told just to stick ptf tape around it. Surely that shouldn’t be the case either with something that is new 
If you are on about the elbow which is threads onto the side of the reel it's standard practice to use ptfe tape on the thread.

County Durham Lad

Hi Green Pro

I have been away for a week with the kids so this is the first I have seen of the issue (still away waiting for a cooked breakfast overlooking the Aisla Craig).

It is always disappointing when a product fails, breaks or performs in a way that is not expected. 

Looking  at the Xtreme Pole in the photo - the importance of the joint overlap cannot be over emphasised on any of our poles but particularly on the thinner wall Xtreme poles. It’s primary purpose is to prevent section on section wear. Most wear happens on sections from the abrasion between the tube sections. 

As outlined in the Xtreme care guide it is important to follow some maintenance steps to get the most from your pole. Summed up, this is to flush the pole out at the end of the week & check and replace the overlap tape every two months if needed. 

Looking at the photo you have posted, most of the linear wear that can be seen would not have happened if the tape had been renewed every two months during its life. It is this linear wear that has thinned the tube section & probably caused the break. 

I am happy to arrange to have the whole pole collected & I can take a proper look in the workshop to confirm this and give the pole a complete check over. I will then be in a better position to discuss specifics on this pole. 

Drop me an email & I will arrange this for you on Monday. 

Hi CHWS

I did make a couple of suggestions for you to try out with your swivel elbow after you sent me a video - if these do not work we will be happy to replace the item for you. 

Often clients like to know if there is a ‘quick-fix’ for an issue - this of course does not replace our warranty back up on faulty products. 

If you are on about the elbow which is threads onto the side of the reel it's standard practice to use ptfe tape on the thread.

County Durham Lad

No there was another guy had the same problem . It’s from the actual swivel 

Hi CHWS

I did make a couple of suggestions for you to try out with your swivel elbow after you sent me a video - if these do not work we will be happy to replace the item for you. 

Often clients like to know if there is a ‘quick-fix’ for an issue - this of course does not replace our warranty back up on faulty products. 

To to be honest I’ll probably not even try it because i practically rung the threads where it screws on to the hose reel because the last time I tried to tighten so tight to stop the leak. 

No there was another guy had the same problem . It’s from the actual swivel 

To to be honest I’ll probably not even try it because i practically rung the threads where it screws on to the hose reel because the last time I tried to tighten so tight to stop the leak. 

I think you must have misunderstood my previous instructions. The leak is not coming from where the brass swivel screws onto the hose reel. The leak appears to be coming from the middle shaft that is fitted into the male plug shaft. To tighten this, undo the whole brass fitting from the hose reel and inside you will see the middle shaft has a hex shape. It is into this you will need to fix a large hex key and tighten. This should stop the leak quickly and simply. The fitting can then be put back on the hose reel. 

If it doesn’t stop the leak, then you can undo this hex key part, put a little PTFE tape in the brass thread and reassemble with the hex key. You do not need to use PTFE tape on the male thread on the side of the hose reel as the brass fitting has a rubber seal which makes a water tight seal. 

If these quick fixes do not stop the leak then please get back to me via email and we could sort a replacement. 

I think you must have misunderstood my previous instructions. The leak is not coming from where the brass swivel screws onto the hose reel. The leak appears to be coming from the middle shaft that is fitted into the male plug shaft. To tighten this, undo the whole brass fitting from the hose reel and inside you will see the middle shaft has a hex shape. It is into this you will need to fix a large hex key and tighten. This should stop the leak quickly and simply. The fitting can then be put back on the hose reel. 

If it doesn’t stop the leak, then you can undo this hex key part, put a little PTFE tape in the brass thread and reassemble with the hex key. You do not need to use PTFE tape on the male thread on the side of the hose reel as the brass fitting has a rubber seal which makes a water tight seal. 

If these quick fixes do not stop the leak then please get back to me via email and we could sort a replacement. 

No i know it is not but what I’m saying is i rung the male thread when I got it originally because I over tightened it so much as I didn’t think it was possible for the leak to come from the swivel part

Back