Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

When's too late to go round to a customer's?

i’d say turning up after 3 oclock on a saturday is a bit antisocial. People need a break from it all and time with their families, as do we. if you’re working until 6 or 7 surely it means by the time you get home, fill up and sort the van/garage out you’re not sitting down with the family until 8 or 9?

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Yeh on Saturdays I would feel uncomfortable turning up before 10 and after 3 on a Saturday if I hadn’t booked them in before. 
Haha, I started this morning at 7:30.... Got a chap who lives above a shop and they insist on it being done before they open. Good thing is, early start means early finish ?

No one wants a window cleaner at their windows 6-7pm any day of the week, I finish at 4 pm or before most days unless there is a need to work a bit later but in 8 weeks time it will be dark at 4pm anyway 

I’ve worked to 6 or so before, it’s embarassing after 4 imo , especially when people are getting in from work and are prepping their dinner

The latest I’ve worked till on a domestic property is 7:45. But at 5:30 I asked them  would they mind if I worked through the evening as it was a really big job. They were completely fine with it. Felt completely knackered then next day. 

I often work late.  Some don't seem to mind.  I guess after 5 30 always ask, but no harm going round.  I always start after 9 30 too

i’d say turning up after 3 oclock on a saturday is a bit antisocial. People need a break from it all and time with their families, as do we. if you’re working until 6 or 7 surely it means by the time you get home, fill up and sort the van/garage out you’re not sitting down with the family until 8 or 9?

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app t

9-3 is the best time to clean windows

usually by 9 most have buggered off out and kids gone to school, after 3 kids start coming back from school, school run etc, roads getting busy.

If you have put enough graft in those hours and not fecked about you should be tired but not totally wiped out and earned enough brass.

If you are cleaning residential windows after 5 pm on a saturday something  is wrong

Last edited by a moderator:
I work late regularly, finished cleaning residential today at 7:30pm, never had any issue, when the dark nights set in I’ll not work much after dusk. I’m a slow starter so regular don’t  start until 10am though as the days get shorter I’ll start earlier but don’t enjoy it...

I didn't finish one today until 6:15, felt the need to apologise to the customer for working so late. No one ever minds but I know that when they come home from work they don't wanna see a window cleaner pottering about the garden. Had another afterwards but they are putting the house on the market so I said I would squeeze them in at the end, they were just grateful I put them in, even gave me a tip. Most people work from 8 or 9 till around 6ish, I always plan to be on the first door at 8:30 and hopefully finish by 4pm but I don't worry about it until it starts getting on for 5 o'clock but I've never actually had an issue.

My local bucket bobs start at 8am which I personally think is too early. I don't wanna be cleaning someone's windows while they're still in their Jimmy Jams having their coffee and toast  and five fags ? 

These days I tend to try and work 9am - 2.30pm working through my dinner to get plenty done and get home for the day.

8-4 Monday to Friday, maybe a little later if need be. 10-3 Saturdays again if need be. Never work sundays. Back when I first started for myself I only had enough work for around 25 hours per week so I worked 3-3 1/2 good days then had the rest of the week off. Don’t see the point in doing 5 part time days unless you have other commitments.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

People are all different so will vary so much. I do a lot of work in villages, and find that they like there privacy more. So don't work past 3.30 when they start getting home with kids. Never a Saturday unless booked in advance. Local towns a different mentality. I still don't work past 4 but that's my choice. I see two of the reqular trad guys out till 5.30-6pm. I work 9.30-3 odd Saturday if behind.  

Back