CMcB

6mm or 8mm hose reel

CMcB

Hi guys, looking at getting a van mount in the near future. Currently using a backpack and barrels. Is there any working difference between 6mm and 8mm reel hose, if there is which do you recommend? I've never used either

If this has been covered can you send a link to the thread. Thanks in advance

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

steve garwood
2 hours ago, CMcB said:

Hi guys, looking at getting a van mount in the near future. Currently using a backpack and barrels. Is there any working difference between 6mm and 8mm reel hose, if there is which do you recommend? I've never used either

If this has been covered can you send a link to the thread. Thanks in advance

I used to use 8mm many moons ago. Switched to microbore (6mm) and will never go back.

The simple reason for me I the 6mm is much easier to handle imo, so makes reeling in and out a doddle 👍

solarpanelcleaningltd

6mm is easier on the body.

steve garwood
11 hours ago, Redditch windy said:

it just kinks easier in the heat!

When I use hot water or the weather is hot, my microbore never kinks.

The poxy pole hose does occasionally though.

Still waiting for a company to make a breakthrough with a non kinking, lightweight pole hose.

Tried them all!

Pjj

6mm is lighter and easier to pull around properties and easier to reel in we wouldn’t use anything else now 

tench0771
15 hours ago, steve garwood said:

When I use hot water or the weather is hot, my microbore never kinks.

The poxy pole hose does occasionally though.

Still waiting for a company to make a breakthrough with a non kinking, lightweight pole hose.

Tried them all!

exceed is the best ive used

6mm saves a lot more water to imo

RhysEvans88

Circuit hydraulics ltd sell very good 8mm and 6mm hiviz hose. Used it for over a year now and still going very strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

Iron Giant

I had used Gardiners 6mm hose for years now, But decided a change was in order so got some Super Tuff Hose I have been using it for almost 4 weeks now and it feels  a lot lighter than the Gardiners so I can notice the difference when reeling in. 

tench0771
8 minutes ago, Iron Giant said:

I had used Gardiners 6mm hose for years now, But decided a change was in order so got some Super Tuff Hose I have been using it for almost 4 weeks now and it feels  a lot lighter than the Gardiners so I can notice the difference when reeling in. 

my m8 has just ordered this cheep as well the only thing i dont like is its blue i do like to use yellow

Iron Giant
2 minutes ago, tench0771 said:

my m8 has just ordered this cheep as well the only thing i dont like is its blue i do like to use yellow

The blue is just as visible as the yellow, you could always try this Pink Hose 😁

tench0771

does blue make a difference when it comes to H.S  on a public area or is it a case of as long as u have cones out your ok? 

Iron Giant
11 minutes ago, tench0771 said:

does blue make a difference when it comes to H.S  on a public area or is it a case of as long as u have cones out your ok? 

No idea @tench0771 if someone was to trip on it and state the hose wasn't visible it would be hard for them to argue as bright blue hose against black or faded grey tarmac is very visible as visible as as yellow 

Pjj
9 hours ago, tench0771 said:

sorry to high jack the fred but whats the best hose for hot water ?

We use normal yellow gardiners microbore but ime thinking of trying Grippatank 6 mm hot hose as I believe it’s the same weight as normal microbore 

Lennie
9 hours ago, tench0771 said:

sorry to high jack the fred but whats the best hose for hot water ?

52 minutes ago, Pjj said:

We use normal yellow gardiners microbore but ime thinking of trying Grippatank 6 mm hot hose as I believe it’s the same weight as normal microbore 

I can definitely recommend the GrippaTank hot water hose. Not sure whether it’s heavier or lighter than others, but it certainly seems robust. I have been using it for a while now with no problems at all. I run mine across roads with cars and fully loaded lorries going over it and still going strong. It doesn’t twist, kink or get tangled that easily either. 

David K

Had a 6mm , got a 8mm , it was a nightmare to drag around , switched back to 6mm and really apreciate it now , easy handling . 

spruce
12 hours ago, David K said:

Had a 6mm , got a 8mm , it was a nightmare to drag around , switched back to 6mm and really apreciate it now , easy handling . 

I hope so. I've always had 8mm and have just had a roll of 6mm delivered yesterday. Will try to fit it onto my hose reel sometime in the school's empty car park.

steve garwood
30 minutes ago, spruce said:

I hope so. I've always had 8mm and have just had a roll of 6mm delivered yesterday. Will try to fit it onto my hose reel sometime in the school's empty car park.

Bet you love it spruce. I remember changing and being really happy I did 

Jaykay

I'm ordering a hose and reel. And wanted people's opinion on what size hose to get. 6mm or 8mm?