Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Carpel tunnel

WCF

Help Support WCF:

An old wifey told me that her hands were full of arthritis because she was a cleaner and always had her bare hands in water. I always wear trutouch gloves when cleaning windows. I don't know if its true but had a look at my mates hands who has been doing windows for over 30yrs with bare hands. His hands are all swollen so maybe its true, as for carpel tunnel it may come from RSI. My plumber mate had carpel tunnel and he got an op on his wrist which helped. He said he got it from his work. I think if one does any repetitive movement and proceeds through the pain barrier then one is in for problems later on.

I developed issues with my wrist when I got my extreme 47 and used that as my main pole with all extensions on for six months or so. To the point where I couldn't even support my body weight with my hand, nor pick up my daughter.

I bought some new pole ends and took off the bottom four sections. I also bought a proper wrist protection glove-thingy, and used that for a year. The pain is gone now, and I don't have to use the wrist protection any more (though I do during prolonged use of the 47 feet).

I'm am sure it wasn't the weight of the pole that was the issue, but as @Part Timer says, the girth of the pole that was too large.

Our everyday poles are 25ft full carbon we only use bigger poles when needed they ‘went’ when I was redeveloping our garden Easter Monday
The doc said the impact from shovelling would have been the cause.

I’ve got to go for nerve analysis first but I’m only 33 the doc said it’s odd somebody my age getting it (especially my first 10 years of work being a desk monkey)

If I have a day doing gutters it certainly tweaks it

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I had all the symptoms of carpel tunnel, all of a sudden  I was waking with pins and needles every morning from my elbow to my fingertips and my two middle fingers were locking in the full bent position. It was 100% work related as I coensided with silly season and a tonne of filthy first cleans. I’ve changed poles from a heavy budget pole to an slx18 with a lighter brush and my symptoms have reduced significantly and I can see it won’t be long before it will be addressed. It was an eye opener for me but I’ve learned to buy better equipment and listen to my body 

Back