Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

RO

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Sorry for the lack of info part timer, tap tds 427, not sure how to check tds after ro

Tap pressure unsure of but it ain’t great lol

Thanks

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app
Disconnect pipe going into your DI, usually hozelock, and test water there, wait a few minutes after start up before doing so. If you're tap pressure has dropped recently that will affect your RO

It's not actually that bad, nearly 93%, and could just require a booster pump. You now need [mention=125]spruce[/mention]to pick this thread up because this is unfortunately the limit of my knowledge

Cheers mate much appreciated, so could the low tap pressure cause me to use more resin, I’ve always had low tap pressure but am using more resin as it doesn’t stay a zero ppm for long maybe 3-4 days used to last longer ??‍♂️

Cheers mate much appreciated, so could the low tap pressure cause me to use more resin, I’ve always had low tap pressure but am using more resin as it doesn’t stay a zero ppm for long maybe 3-4 days used to last longer ??‍♂️

Could be  :1f4a9: resin,could be you're using a small DI, could be pressure, could be you're doing a few thousand litres a day. With this type of question the more info the better. It sounds like your resin is duff but I can't guarantee that without knowing all the above.

Could be  :1f4a9: resin,could be you're using a small DI, could be pressure, could be you're doing a few thousand litres a day. With this type of question the more info the better. It sounds like your resin is duff but I can't guarantee that without knowing all the above.

Use about 350L a day, Resin is Tulsion MB115
Using a 11L di vessel

Cheers

Use about 350L a day, Resin is Tulsion MB115
Using a 11L di vessel

Cheers

All the above seem fine, do you allow for tds creep, if not search for it on here. Your resin should be lasting longer than that, google resin calculator, not exact but should give you an idea of what you should be using, resin wise. This is as far as I can help with my limited knowledge.

It's not actually that bad, nearly 93%, and could just require a booster pump. You now need @spruceto pick this thread up because this is unfortunately the limit of my knowledge

How do you work out the efficiency of the ro and whats the tell tail signs that the membrains need replacing ? I know about taking longer to fill but that’s about it 

Cheers for your help
emoji1303.png

Many factors come into play when trouble shooting and r/o's poor performance.

The first question is always going to be water pressure and flow related. If you water pressure is poor and your r/o isn't receiving enough water then it will perform poorly.

A water pressure gauge from Screwfix or Ebay is a good start.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/monument-tools-mains-water-pressure-test-gauge/82412

If your supplier has reduced water pressure then this is going to affect your r/o's performance.

How old is your membrane?

Are you replacing prefilters according to the manufacturers guidelines?

Provided there are not other poor performance reasons, I would say that 93% rejection rate is membrane changing time considering your tap water tds. Resin is going to cost your much more than if you were in a soft/medium water area as @Part Timer and myself are.

How do you work out the efficiency of the ro and whats the tell tail signs that the membrains need replacing ? I know about taking longer to fill but that’s about it 
Lets take an easy example to being with.

If our tap water's tds is 100 and our water from the r/o is 3 then the membranes efficiency is 97% as its removing 97% of all the dissolved solids in the water. So that was so easy we did it in our heads without thinking.

So then let apply this 'formula' to a more complex example. Our tap water is 427 and our pure tds is 24 from the r/o. To find the efficiency we take the 427 and then minus the 24. 427 - 24 = 403. What this is telling us that the membrane is still removing 403ppm of the dissolved solids in the water. To turn this into a % makes it easier to understand. So we take our calculator and enter 403 and then divide that by 427. We get a figure of 0.94379........... Then multiply that figure by 100 to get a percentage; 94.379%. That's your efficiency is about 94%.

Another term membrane manufacturers use is rejection rate instead of efficiency. Efficiency makes more sense to me. Rejection rate is membrane manufacturers speak.

My water tds is currently 400+ ? 250 is the best I've known it 

Oh dear. I always thought you were on the same water supply as we are.?

Lets take an easy example to being with.

If our tap water's tds is 100 and our water from the r/o is 3 then the membranes efficiency is 97% as its removing 97% of all the dissolved solids in the water. So that was so easy we did it in our heads without thinking.

So then let apply this 'formula' to a more complex example. Our tap water is 427 and our pure tds is 24 from the r/o. To find the efficiency we take the 427 and then minus the 24. 427 - 24 = 403. What this is telling us that the membrane is still removing 403ppm of the dissolved solids in the water. To turn this into a % makes it easier to understand. So we take our calculator and enter 403 and then divide that by 427. We get a figure of 0.94379........... Then multiply that figure by 100 to get a percentage; 94.379%. That's your efficiency is about 94%.

Another term membrane manufacturers use is rejection rate instead of efficiency. Efficiency makes more sense to me. Rejection rate is membrane manufacturers speak.

Oh dear. I always thought you were on the same water supply as we are.?

Thanks spruce very very well explained as always ?

Many factors come into play when trouble shooting and r/o's poor performance.

The first question is always going to be water pressure and flow related. If you water pressure is poor and your r/o isn't receiving enough water then it will perform poorly.

A water pressure gauge from Screwfix or Ebay is a good start.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/monument-tools-mains-water-pressure-test-gauge/82412
If your supplier has reduced water pressure then this is going to affect your r/o's performance.

How old is your membrane?
Are you replacing prefilters according to the manufacturers guidelines?

Provided there are not other poor performance reasons, I would say that 93% rejection rate is membrane changing time considering your tap water tds. Resin is going to cost your much more than if you were in a soft/medium water area as [mention=2712]Part Timer[/mention] and myself are.

I got my system October 2016, pre-filters are changed regularly current filters changed about a month ago

Could you explain rejection rate please

Thanks

Back