Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Window cleaning in winter

Cameronmalson1985

Hello I have only been window cleaning for afew months and I have just had a mate ask me how I’m going to manage for money come the winter. He’s mentioned how people’s not going to want there windows cleaned cos if I clean them and it rains they will be dirty again. What do everyone think of this thanks 

Hello I have only been window cleaning for afew months and I have just had a mate ask me how I’m going to manage for money come the winter. He’s mentioned how people’s not going to want there windows cleaned cos if I clean them and it rains they will be dirty again. What do everyone think of this thanks 
Tell him he’s talking [emoji90] and crack on[emoji106]. It’s the bad weather and limited working hours that will affect you more during the winter rather than customer preferences.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Yeah spot on daylight hours & extreme weather are the main concern.

If you’re just starting up Then take my advice the biggest market in the winter is gutter clearances (just pray for a wet winter and not a cold one), you really need to tap in to this if you’re going to survive your first winter as you wont get many calls for window cleaning during the winter months. Lots of money to be made by doubling up on plastics cleans as well. Always ask “just cleared out, or cleaned as well?” You’ll be surprised how many say “oh go on then price up for the clean as well while you’re at it” i reckon nearly half of our gutter cleans become FSG’s sometimes.

Start tucking money away now, don’t blow it at christmas because it’s a long 3 months after it until the end of march which is when the market explodes again. Winter is long and boring at times. I lost about 10 days in a row to ice or snow this year. I nearly went crackers. Just batten down the hatches, try to hold your nerve, and wait it out!

Didn't lose more than 3 or 4 half days due to torrential rain last winter

Cold doesn't stop me either

When I stopped subbing work and re started up for myself I did it in winter and gained a lot of new customers

Just get out every day for as long as possible and you will be fine

Never had more than a couple of days off each winter since I started in 1991

Didn't lose more than 3 or 4 half days due to torrential rain last winter
Cold doesn't stop me either
When I stopped subbing work and re started up for myself I did it in winter and gained a lot of new customers
Just get out every day for as long as possible and you will be fine
Never had more than a couple of days off each winter since I started in 1991
What part of the country are you in Dave?

The customer wants the windows spotless in winter so it lets in as much light as possible. I thought the same as your mate but the customers enjoy seeing you cleaning their windows in the winter. Sometimes you are the only person they see that day. There is always other things to clean anyway. Cleaning windows is the tip of the iceberg in this cleaning game. PVC, Conservatories, FSG, Garage Doors, Roofs, Driveways, Patios, Decking, Solar panels, you name it and we can clean it. :1f609:

The term Daylight Robbery came when the UK Gov implemented a window tax, so I was told.

I started late last summer, I picked up customers throughout the winter but in all honesty I had a full time job and knew it would be the new year before I could go full time, ended up being April. I never had a customer cancel last winter but with around 20x the amount of customers I had last year i'm sure I will have to face some of that this year. I think its just a race against the clock now for any newbie out there, we have approx 2 months to pick up as many customers as possible. The only plan I could think of is to aim for 10% more customers (Monthly income) Than I need and assume that natural wastage will cost me 5-10% through the winter. If I can maintain the same customer base then all the better.

About 20 miles north of west London
And yes shorts and t shirt most of the year unless it's snowing?
I asked the postman why he always wears shorts. He said that your legs dry faster than your trousers. I’ve given it a go the last 6 months. On Sunday I put a pair of jeans on, first time since April I think, felt bloody weird [emoji23]

If it gets too cold my duff knee plays up.and really aches nowadays (motorbike accident)

Them unfortunately the trousers have to go on now

Never used to bother me but age seems to make it worse

I wouldn't worry about it. I have 3 customers who don't want it done in the winter. Yes shorter hours and more chance of bad weather but I work Saturdays if I have to just to not let work get behind. Probably lost a week working last winter. All the beer boys vanish in the winter as its too cold for them and I always pick up new customers in the winter

Been window cleaning for 5 years and I think the majority of my customers I actually picked up during the winter months. Strange but true. 

Until the snow and freezing temps last winter, I had worn shorts all the year round for the last 3 years, but I wimped out as it was way too cold for shorts.

County Durham Lad

Latest Posts

Back