Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Winter prep

dan2016

Hi guys

So thinking of coming winter and keeping van warm overnight, live in a flat and can’t run extension lead.

So was thinking of getting something like this

BESTEK 300W Power Inverter DC 12V to AC 230V 240V Transformer Car Charger Lighter Adapter with 3 Pin Plug and Dual USB Ports https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00INW611Y/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_api_PsbDBb4FGE7F3

And run it from a second leisure battery in order too run a 60w greenhouse heater?

Any thoughts?

Works out it will use 5amps per hour according too my calculations? [emoji848]

Then every couple days just charge the leisure battery. Means will give me some ambient temperature at night time.

Any thoughts??

Regards

Dan

If I couldn't get an extension out to the van I would just run everything dry on a night and hope for the best.

I did this all winter just gone and only got caught out a couple of times with frozen pipes but it soon thawed out with van heater on full.

If that does the job, to me its a good idea. I had my van in a rentrd garage n reel was frozen solid.  Thankfully i have a drive n got outside socket fitted so have a small oil radiator. 

I'm also in a flat and last year was my first winter with wfp. I take my pole in every night anyway and the only other thing I done was put that silver bubble wrap around my pump and reel and a big bit around my tank. The only problem I had was one night I didn't cover the end of the hose and it was frozen the next morning.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I prepared for winter by making a box for the pump and battery so I could disconnect the hose using in inline tap and bring it indoors.. same with the reel and pole.. pretty simple. Water thaws pretty rapidly time I've got to my first job.. why waste money on heating and lagging insulation when you can just stick it near the front door.. just my 10 pence worth 

Turn the heating up a bit and embrace a few days off.
If it's to the point of freezing then is there really any point risking your life? The thanks from customers won't be any better and if anyone cancels in the time it's too dangerous to drive then do they really deserve that time on your books? I'd rather have messages asking where I am than my children standing by a hole asking their widowed mother why I went to work!

Run the pump dry and put as many blankets around everything as much as possible. Maybe even get an oil filled radiator, heat it up in the house and then take it down to the van. Obviously it's not gonna last all night but it should give you a few hours of heat to stop things falling below zero for a while.

The first few inches of hose from the outlet on the tank to the pump can freeze up pretty quick along with the hose reel, Take hose reel inside and concentrate on insulating the system hose and fittings that can't be removed from the van. 

You can also install a hot water diesel system. The one I am looking at has automatic frost protection and work like a Webasto heater.

You can also install a hot water diesel system. The one I am looking at has automatic frost protection and work like a Webasto heater.

Where are you getting yours from?

Regards

Where are you getting yours from?

Regards

I just take my hoses indoors, 25L barrels stay on the van. Can’t really be bothered taking them off every time i “think” it’s going to freeze. If they’re outside and it’s that cold they’ll split anyway so there’s no saving them unless in a heated garage. Never had one split so far.I pray & hope for the best. I only fill them up to 20L so they are easier to lift, in the winter this helps as there is room for expansion when it freezes rather than the barrel cracking

Just to make lads aware for now I have hidden posts regarding the heated system due to a supplier advertising products without permission until it has being reviewed. 

In the past there have been window cleaners who installed Propex hs2000 warm air gas heaters in their van.

Its the gas cylinder regulator leaking gas that would put me off. But I would consider it if I installed a proper vapour tank with an external gas filler.

http://www.autogasleisure.co.uk/

Last edited by a moderator:
Back