Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

pure water advise please

noobwc

Hey people 

Doing research before starting up and wanted to know if anyone would be kind enough to share their knowledge with me regarding pure water

Now i understand the full reason why to use pure water but what I'm seeing is a very mixed opinion regarding my area 

The water where i'm based is Slightly hard see attached chart.

So some people are saying a DI vessel will do but others are saying you need a full RO/DI system so before i go out and buy all this stuff i thought i would ask because if i can do it and save start up money that's great! 

Capture.PNG

Hey people 

Doing research before starting up and wanted to know if anyone would be kind enough to share their knowledge with me regarding pure water

Now i understand the full reason why to use pure water but what I'm seeing is a very mixed opinion regarding my area 

The water where i'm based is Slightly hard see attached chart.

So some people are saying a DI vessel will do but others are saying you need a full RO/DI system so before i go out and buy all this stuff i thought i would ask because if i can do it and save start up money that's great! 

View attachment 14632
Go to a window cleaning supplier (window cleaning warehouse, the cleaning warehouse, Gardiner's,) and buy a TDs meter. Cost about 20 quid but from your reading you'll have a better idea

@Part Timer doesn't live far from you if I remember correctly, maybe he can help

Last edited by a moderator:
Go to a window cleaning supplier (window cleaning warehouse, the cleaning warehouse, Gardiner's,) and buy a TDs meter. Cost about 20 quid but from your reading you'll have a better idea

@Part Timer doesn't live far from you if I remember correctly, maybe he can help
Mine is currently over 400ppm, where abouts in Newcastle are you. I do a bit of work on the northern outskirts, Wideopen, Brunswick, etc so if you want to have a chat let me know and I'll give you a shout when I'm that way

Mine is currently over 400ppm, where abouts in Newcastle are you. I do a bit of work on the northern outskirts, Wideopen, Brunswick, etc so if you want to have a chat let me know and I'll give you a shout when I'm that way
I'm hoping my TDs will be here mon - tues so ill have a check and that would be brilliant getting some advise from a local would be amazing ?

Last edited by a moderator:
And I'm based in the east end byker/walker area but if you are in another area just let me know and ill have a drive down  not a problem and i'm grateful for the offer

In my other job I do some work with Jebb Metals and due to go there next Friday afternoon. I also have a job in Shiremoor and Dudley
Ahh yeah i know Jebb Metals its literally a few mins away from me if you like ill dm you my number and if you get a bit of free time just drop me a message or call and ill pop up 

I've found the ones off eBay are usually knock offs and no good, hence the recommendation.
I compared the readings to my other hand held tds meter bought 10 years ago for £17 (either from Gardiner's or soap national, can't remember which) and it agrees exactly. The only physical difference is a lack of a HM Digital logo and no faux leather case. 

I compared the readings to my other hand held tds meter bought 10 years ago for £17 (either from Gardiner's or soap national, can't remember which) and it agrees exactly. The only physical difference is a lack of a HM Digital logo and no faux leather case. 
Well if you don't get the faux leather case then you've been done ?

Pretty sure Newcastle is hard water around a 110ppm so you are far better off with a R/O not sure if it varies across Gateshead and Newcastle but @phillip might be able to tell you as he is  a Gateshead lad, once you know your tds you will know which R/O to buy 

I'll sell you one for a fiver ?
HAHA i bet you would!! i was born/grew up in co-Durham so know all the tricks haha 

Pretty sure Newcastle is hard water around a 110ppm so you are far better off with a R/O not sure if it varies across Gateshead and Newcastle but @phillip might be able to tell you as he is  a Gateshead lad, once you know your tds you will know which R/O to buy 
And yeah i would assume they will be close soon find out when this TDs meter turns up!! 

I picked one up from Xline im sure its a cheap one off eBay its not the same one on their website comes unbranded in Chinese packaging £17 and  vat

messaged them but no reply

I picked one up from Xline im sure its a cheap one off eBay its not the same one on their website comes unbranded in Chinese packaging £17 and  vat

messaged them but no reply
Yeah i got one and did all my tests and had a good chat with part timer so well on my way just finished building my own trolley system and ordered my pole and what not so will be starting up sooner than i thought ? then just gotta get round to sorting a van system out again i might do this my self depending on what time i have free. 

Back