Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Business van insurance

Dave h

Your Real Name:Dave 

The Location You're In:Aberdeen 

How Long You Have Been Cleaning:9 months

Brief intro about yourself: Worked for Royal mail for 20 years then got ill health retirement due to a bad back so started up my own window cleaning business.  

I'm looking for some insurance companies to try for my business van insurance.  Tia. Dave 

Hi Dave, welcome to the forum are you using wfp or are you just traditional most insurers will cover you but all depends if you are looking for something more specific. 

Hi Dave. Im with Admiral they have no problem with tanks in van and have always given a good price. Often Insurance prices can be down to where you live ! Some others on here are with company's who provide a courtesy van with fitted system inside. Can't remember the names tho !

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Hi Dave, welcome to the forum are you using wfp or are you just traditional most insurers will cover you but all depends if you are looking for something more specific. 
I'm using the wfp system, I remember last year I had a problem with some companies not insuring window cleaning vans.  So was looking for a couple to call.  Cheers.  Dave 

Hi Dave. Im with Admiral they have no problem with tanks in van and have always given a good price. Often Insurance prices can be down to where you live ! Some others on here are with company's who provide a courtesy van with fitted system inside. Can't remember the names tho !

Thanks Marc.  

A Plan provides a fully kitted courtesy van in the event of a collision where your van will be off the road, I have been with A Plan 7 years now and they always got things sorted, Although I am considering jumping ship this year if I can get a much better deal elsewhere.

Avis also insure van with tank installed think they wanted approx £200 but had my son put on the policy for £300 

Avis also insure van with tank installed think they wanted approx £200 but had my son put on the policy for £300 
I can only dream of a quote like that 8 years ncb and have yet to get below £700 in my current insurance year for my 64 plate Vauxhall Combo,  Mine isn't due for renewal till November so will see what the best is nearer the time 

Last edited by a moderator:
I can only dream of a quote like that 8 years ncb and have yet to get below £700 in my current insurance year for my 64 plate Vauxhall Combo,  Mine isn't due for renewal till November so will see what the best is nearer the time 
That’s with 2 years ncd my transit connect is quite old 56 plate was with direct line but they stopped insuring vans with tank fitted think that was approx £260 just me on insurance so was better off shopping around when due anyway.

my wife as been with direct line for 10 years last week her insurance reminder for renewal came through the door maximum ncd for a 60 p,ate diesel fiesta they wanted £368 went online exact same policy with LV £217 with ncd protection.

I think I'm with admiral from memory

4 year old bipper with full ncd protected (no blameworthy accidents since 1992 lol)

Wife named on policy with business use for her business also

Declared as window cleaning van but only small tank strapped in so no mods

Under £300 for the year

I am going to shop around more this year as I just stuck with A Plan out of convenience, But this year with ditching the pickup which my wife and I used as dual purpose vehicle jointly and me getting a van she got her own car last  ahead of me getting the van in January and upon deciding to go with Admiral insurance A Plan tried to tell me that the policy Admiral would be offering my wife was a bonus accelerator policy which is 10 month policy not a 12 month policy so if you decide to switch you ain't got 1 years ncb just 10 months which is basically no ncb 

I am going to shop around more this year as I just stuck with A Plan out of convenience, But this year with ditching the pickup which my wife and I used as dual purpose vehicle jointly and me getting a van she got her own car last  ahead of me getting the van in January and upon deciding to go with Admiral insurance A Plan tried to tell me that the policy Admiral would be offering my wife was a bonus accelerator policy which is 10 month policy not a 12 month policy so if you decide to switch you ain't got 1 years ncb just 10 months which is basically no ncb 
So thought I would update on this and explain a bit more, my wife has always been the policyholder and me the main driver as she had some ncb and I had none upon switching to Aplan over the years I was advised this to be the best cost-effective option and my wife has gained maximum ncb and 60% discount, Now my spidey sense had been tingling for a good while

So this year after chasing up the renewal I got a price including a wfp courtesy van @ £82 a brokers fee @ £60.00 and legal cover @ £29.00 plus the insurance cost paying over the year = £500 so I queried and asked a few questions but still wasn't happy and something had been bugging me, So I shopped around with me as the policyholder and main driver with no ncb at all,  Aviva wanted £1,400 with water tank ?  

So thought I would do a basic online quote with Admiral it came to £203, so I phoned them up as there wasn't an option in modifications for a water tank and explained my circumstances to ensure that I could and possibly would be covered and they said yes no problem at all, but I did need to add a courtesy van and legal cover so this upped the cost overall to £290 over the year now it is an accelerator policy which is a ten month policy which means I have to stick with Admiral for insurance year 2 to get a full first year ncb no biggie even if the cost is higher than I might expect next year as the water tank is on the insurance policy and never was with A Plan 

That’s exactly the same as me I had a bike on the road for years and was always on my wife car’s insurance (multi car direct line) the last ten years anyway fast forward a couple of years my van with aviva plus water tank was approx £205 for me my son added Approx £300 this does include 2 years no claims.

are you in a high risk are?

That’s exactly the same as me I had a bike on the road for years and was always on my wife car’s insurance (multi car direct line) the last ten years anyway fast forward a couple of years my van with aviva plus water tank was approx £205 for me my son added Approx £300 this does include 2 years no claims.

are you in a high risk are?
No not in a high risk area, tank is strapped in so thinking that was the high price factor with Aviva. But ultimately every insurance company is different hence I spoke to each one I wanted a quote off the on the phone.

County Durham Lad

Damn next year I best shop around more ..... My van insurance is near £800 with maximum ncb [emoji849][emoji849]
Far better to shop around says me [emoji849], I stuck with A Plan for 7 years in all honesty as of this I felt I was been lied to over the phone last week theysaid if my wife contacted them as a new client the policy would have cost £800 but because we had earned loyalty with them over the years we were getting better prices apparently[emoji57]

County Durham Lad

Far better to shop around says me [emoji849], I stuck with A Plan for 7 years in all honesty as of this I felt I was been lied to over the phone last week theysaid if my wife contacted them as a new client the policy would have cost £800 but because we had earned loyalty with them over the years we were getting better prices apparently[emoji57]

County Durham Lad

I choose Aplan reading guys comments on threads here for vans covered with tanks in and replacement WFP van should accident happen..... But if there's others out there getting cover cheaper definitely shopping around more next year £800 with maximum ncb [emoji50][emoji50][emoji50][emoji50]

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Allways worth a shop but be sure it suitable and prices are like for like. 

Insured my Saab earlier this year. No NCB. as used up on other vehicles.  Direct line wanted over £1100.  Im 46 over 10 years no claims, live in a decent area..   Went on Compare the Market and got it for £380.  Also been to the movies on 2 4 1 almost weekly and the wife loves the 2 4 1 meals  as well.  

The vans are around £700 each but cover any employee of the company on any vehicle as well as tools etc etc. 

Can I throw two things in here. 

1: APlan told me there are only two companies in the UK that insure WFP vans properly. 

2: When shopping around it's all well and good for the broker / insurer to say 'yes that's with a tank fitted etc'  but please get them to confirm it in a written email.  Just to be on the safe side. 

Can I throw two things in here. 

1: APlan told me there are only two companies in the UK that insure WFP vans properly. 

2: When shopping around it's all well and good for the broker / insurer to say 'yes that's with a tank fitted etc'  but please get them to confirm it in a written email.  Just to be on the safe side. 
I would be inclined to want it written on the policy documentation letter headed paper and the modifications in black and white, this is something someone on here said earlier this year and has had me thinking since

County Durham Lad

Just looked over my policy I have a formal letter from them

Paragraph below

• The commercial vehicle insurance policy will provide cover for the vehicle only (the insurance company are aware that the vehicle has a water-fed pole system fitted inside) - Yes I know it doesn't cover the wfp system but I have tools cover included in my liability insurance [emoji106]

Latest Posts

Back