Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

When to take on a empolye

WCF

Help Support WCF:

COR

Hello all,

I have been reading the forum and this is my first post. I have been cleaning windows for roughly 4 years now and have my own round around 3 years. I have picked up a good amount of work but am thinking about taking the next step to take on a part time employee roughly 1-2 days a week. What would you all recommend to be cleaning to take someone on part time? many Thanks 

Many people on hear have very different ideas, personally would avoid like the plaque, others think it's the best way to go. All I would say is if you can find a good employee then treat them well as they're few and far between.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the advice part timer I am currently working till late and think help on 1 -2 days i will be able to do 2 big days and a reasonable amount the rest of the week. How many properties would you reckon is enough for 1 man a day.

Thanks for the advice part timer I am currently working till late and think help on 1 -2 days i will be able to do 2 big days and a reasonable amount the rest of the week. How many properties would you reckon is enough for 1 man a day.
How longs a piece of string, on a compact round of standard 3 bed semi's using WFP one man should be able to comfortably do 20 houses.

I’m having trouble with my employee at the minute. Word of advice don’t employ family. Twice now I’ve done it and. Great workers but let them away with one thing and they will always do it. I don’t know wether to sell some work off or to try and find the next headache 

It's all down to numbers mate.

Calculate all the expenses (future and present), and I mean ALL the expenses (accountant necessary) and

a percentage for unforseen expenses,

then profit (30% max typically),

then work out what that number would be as turnover on a daily basis,

Then see if a worker could do that number consistently in winter (shortest days of the year) 

If not (up your prices until they can)

Then get some savings behind you, take someone on when you don't have completely enough work for them and let them do some of yours as well as the extra so they're working full time. Then you shall canvass with urgency cos you'll eat your savings if you don't ? 

Then start the whole process again for the next one, and keep going until you don't have to physically clean to make a living etc.

The only hard bit, is actually doing this and sticking to it. Nothing worth having comes easy. 

Back