Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Scraping Windows / Window Scrapers

Kips

Hey fellas.

Bit bored here so thought I'd write up a little post/question/bit of personal experience.

Basically since I started window cleaning a few months ago my scraper was one of the silver unger ones that a friend gave me - the other day tho I was buying some new kit on wintecs and thought hey why not get a new one/my own one so I ended up buying a 6inch ettore one - and I'm really glad I did

It does the same job as the little 4cm scraper for removing bird poop and etc but where I have found it severely useful is wherever I come to do a first clean or a window which is really filthy, I just soap up the window and scrape the whole thing - on first cleans it's really good because you know 100% you're getting rid of all fly squats, bits of stuck on stuff, everything, and it basically works almost as well as a squeegee, so I can see the bits ive done. Once I've scraped the window I soap up and squeegee off again and because the window is so clean from the scraper the squeegee really flies - leaves the windows beautifully clean.

It does take longer than usual of course but I'm convinced it's the way to go to ensure quality and it's gotta be quicker than going back with a scrim to scrub out all those little fly squats and etc.

Anyone got any thoughts / views?

I got a little one but one I use mostly is same as one on right there, I cut handle down by half and put rubber back on it. I found a place just up road from me that sell the blades for about £1.50 for ten as well.

I got a little one but one I use mostly is same as one on right there, I cut handle down by half and put rubber back on it. I found a place just up road from me that sell the blades for about £1.50 for ten as well.
one on the right - £1.41 for a pack of 10 from toolstaion

one on the left - £0.99 for a pack of 10 from toolstaion

these are the ones i use
3006824943244040_1.jpg
140.jpg

Those are like mine Mark except instead of the green unger one I got the ettore one because it was £1 cheaper and I wasn't sure if I'd end up liking it or if it'd end up in the cupboard of forgotten things....!

Blades for it are expensive (something like £11 quid for 10!!!!) but they seem to last a long time..

one on the right - £1.41 for a pack of 10 from toolstaion

one on the left - £0.99 for a pack of 10 from toolstaion
Bout same then, not bad. Scraper only cost me a quid as well lol.

What do you think of scraping the whole window on a first clean tho - anyone else doing that?

i use these scrapers myself,

just depends what im doing and need them for!
The one on the right is a wall paper scraper, Ive tried using the one on the left buy the blades for them are to thin. Arent they bothe from the pound shop?

The one on the right is a wall paper scraper, Ive tried using the one on the left buy the blades for them are to thin. Arent they bothe from the pound shop?
no they are from toolstation the one on the right is great for builder cleans nice and heavy duty for gettin plaster off the windows.

I use to have the metal unger 4cm.. They rust up, get jammed and are a nuisance!

I bought a 4 inch unger for £6.. And £6 for the blades.. All first cleans I do the same, soap, scrap, soap, blade.. Great for removing paint, silicone etc too..

My scraper is always under my scrims in my pouch

I found that BC with the small unger ones, I was putting it in my boab and it was always rusting

Yeah the one one the right is sold in some places as a wallpaper scraper and in others as a glass scraper and yes pound shop lol but wilkos sell it as well. Works an absolute treat on glass though.

Yeah the one one the right is sold in some places as a wallpaper scraper and in others as a glass scraper and yes pound shop lol but wilkos sell it as well. Works an absolute treat on glass though.
I found the blade to be a bit thick, There a bit on the large side for me. The larger one never came with a cover wither. I prefer the unger ones, the fit perfect in scrim bag or pocket

Back