Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Website

Panorama window cleaning

Hey chaps,

I wasnt going to bother with a proper website just yet, but as im struggling to pick up customers canvassing, I wanted to try get a basic website up and running to see if it'll get me a few more leads (ive heard from others that it helps alot)

I want the site to look good but dont want to spend too much. I looked at GoDaddy's website builder and it looked quite good but not sure thats the way i want to proceed.

Also, they say it has built in SEO...does this mean you dont have to do too much to rank high on Google? Ive heard alot about backlinks and keywords etc but have no idea where to begin.

Im About to start all the research today and over the weekend so ill prob be up to speed soon but id appreciate your 2 cents if you have any experience with this stuff

I can see myself having to take on a part time job soon if i dont start getting more regular income [emoji21] ,better than joining the rat run again though....no more suits for me thanks!

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Get a Word Press site. You could ask the forum owner Gav if he can do you a website package. He knows how to do a professional website for this industry and maintain it.

SEO you need a professional to do it. Not something you can pick up overnight. We did have a great guy called Kieran who did our SEO for us and was great on price. Hopefully he will comeback soon as he's taken time out. 

Just activate your Google business page and then use Google sites to do a webpage. Simple, free and good results. I also believe a large part of your SEO is done for you as it's throughgm Google services.

I have a "fancy" webpage and pay for hosting, but might change to Google sites for the simplicity, and because its "good enough".

ill take a look at that, thanks Nudel

Get a Word Press site. You could ask the forum owner Gav if he can do you a website package. He knows how to do a professional website for this industry and maintain it.

SEO you need a professional to do it. Not something you can pick up overnight. We did have a great guy called Kieran who did our SEO for us and was great on price. Hopefully he will comeback soon as he's taken time out. 
Wordpress looks pretty good these days (never used to like it much) and some of the new plugins offer that pro look - especially for content etc

No disrespect to @Nudel but if you live in a large town or city with a good few window cleaners with good ranking sites then the chances of you ranking anywhere on the first page of Google is almost non-existent, But to get you going then yes a basic website is ideal as starter you also need to use Facebook if you don't already and canvass like mad 

Not claiming you don't have to do SEO with a Google sites website, but part of it is done if you follow basic website design and have some good content.

I think im going to go ahead with wordpress, been watching tutorials and its mindblowing what you can do with the plugins and a bit of tweaking...can make it look so good.

No disrespect to [mention=3558]Nudel[/mention] but if you live in a large town or city with a good few window cleaners with good ranking sites then the chances of you ranking anywhere on the first page of Google is almost non-existent, But to get you going then yes a basic website is ideal as starter you also need to use Facebook if you don't already and canvass like mad 
There's 1 main company in my area, all other ranking companies dont seem to even have websites. Im sure i can get up the ranks with time. But yes, i do have a facebook page and i will keep canvassing...im going to build website on wordpress and see how it goes too.

Not claiming you don't have to do SEO with a Google sites website, but part of it is done if you follow basic website design and have some good content.

We tried everything.  Spent ages on page one of google... got 1 enquiry every 3-4 months. 

Now we had it overhauled.  Top page one and 3-5 enquiries every couple of days. May not sound like much but for web business that is damn good.  

Visit my page https://greenproclean.co.uk scroll to the bottom and you'll find a link to our web guy.  Drop Yazz an email and he'll look after you well. He does work for many window cleaners and understands our industry. Drop my name and he'll be sure to get you sorted. 

We tried everything.  Spent ages on page one of google... got 1 enquiry every 3-4 months. 

Now we had it overhauled.  Top page one and 3-5 enquiries every couple of days. May not sound like much but for web business that is damn good.  

Visit my page https://greenproclean.co.uk scroll to the bottom and you'll find a link to our web guy.  Drop Yazz an email and he'll look after you well. He does work for many window cleaners and understands our industry. Drop my name and he'll be sure to get you sorted. 
I thought you meant you had a new site built recently, not your old one which I would guess is on an a older platform from 3+ years ago ago.

County Durham Lad

Just as a side note. Although you would expect Google sites offering to be SEO friendly, they are not their coding isn't great and not that SEO friendly but that's only one small part of SEO so as a quick throw it together for free thing it's ok. Will it rank maybe if there is no competition at all in your area and the on-page seo is good but again the Google sites code can mess with this a bit. 

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have your site built by a professional they will do some SEO for you, Once it's up and running you can login into your WordPress dashboard and tweak the meta tags if you need to at some point and Yoast SEO uses a traffic light system to highlight if the SEO on each page is good enough so red for ban and green for good, But you won't get a green light for every page such as the contact page due to the limited info that can go onto a contact page personally for me I tweaked mine to suit me as to how I wanted the meta tags to read in a Google search. 

Funny enough, i already checked out yours and a few others sites to get layout ideas (not copy and paste ideas so dont worry). Really clean and pro looking. I noticed the company at bottom of your site so will def give him a shout to check out costs etc now that you've mentioned him...thanks Darren,appreciate.

If you have your site built by a professional they will do some SEO for you, Once it's up and running you can login into your WordPress dashboard and tweak the meta tags if you need to at some point and Yoast SEO uses a traffic light system to highlight if the SEO on each page is good enough so red for ban and green for good, But you won't get a green light for every page such as the contact page due to the limited info that can go onto a contact page personally for me I tweaked mine to suit me as to how I wanted the meta tags to read in a Google search. 
I saw a video on youtube about the Yoast plugin, looks great. Will give that a go

Funny enough, i already checked out yours and a few others sites to get layout ideas (not copy and paste ideas so dont worry). Really clean and pro looking. I noticed the company at bottom of your site so will def give him a shout to check out costs etc now that you've mentioned him...thanks Darren,appreciate.

I saw a video on youtube about the Yoast plugin, looks great. Will give that a go

I used to work for a web hosting company (Fasthosts) They taught me the basics of building a website so I knew what my customers were on about. I didn't need a huge amount of technical knowledge as I worked in customer retentions. With the basic knowledge they gave me I went away and built a site with the help of a YouTube video. I tweaked and tweaked at it and the site got to between 1 & 5 in Google. This was in 2014, now the same site is on page 5 and is being rebuilt by a web developer.

I overloaded the site with Plug-ins etc. Put too many pages for areas covered. Take the link @Green Pro Clean Ltd put up for example. That has 6 different pages to areas covered, this was a great strategy between 2010 and 2015 but that now lowers your Google ranking if it's spotted by the ''bots''. Darren has avoided this by making all of the 6 pages slightly different. Back in the day you would literally have had 100 of the same page with only the place name changing from page to page and this would get you to the top of Google.

What i'm getting at is you need to keep your site fresh and updated but the golden rule is KISS... Keep It Simple Stupid. You aren't Steve Jobs and you're not building a multi million pound website, just an information page for a local company. If your site is simple then its simple to update and change things regularly which really helps your standing on Google. You need to start building back links too. The Google My business page should be your first, then Yell, Facebook etc etc etc. The more relevant links your site has the better.

I do some web design in my spare time.

If you just set up a basic site, link it to your Google profile and your profiles on yell etc.. make sure it has a .co.uk domain (99p) you should be good to go.

Your website will be found from basic searches for window cleaning in your area.

Thanks, yep i hablve a .co.uk.domain. I am almost done creating my website and I think it looks pretty good for a first attempt so will mess with Yoast and see how I get on in terms of ranking.

Thanks all for your input

Latest Posts

Back