Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Why isn't my resin lasting longer

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Dragbag

my resin is only lasting about six weeks,(in 11l Di) I use about 200 L a day four days a week and the tds going into the 11 D I is 10

according to the resin calculator 25 L bag should last 88 weeks?

Last edited by a moderator:
How fast do you run the water through the DI? It needs to be fed through slow for the resin to work and be worn as little as possible.

How fast do you run the water through the DI? It needs to be fed through slow for the resin to work and be worn as little as possible.
Runs through the 450 ro comes out of the di about  1 l of pure in a 1 min 30 so not fast

We assume you are using good quality resin.

Maybe you are using more than 200 liters a day @Dragbag - that sounds a little low for daily window cleaning - or your problem is di vessel related.

If you give your di vessel a shake, does it improve the outcome? Water going through a di vessel does create channels or path ways in the resin which means all the remaining dissolved solids in the water aren't being removed by the resin. I do this a couple of times before finally changing the resin.

The other problem could be a fault with the di vessel. If the o ring in the 'head' is missing this apparently can mean that only half the resin in the vessel is being used. If the riser tube not seated properly in the head can also cause the same problem. When you do you next resin change, look for these issues. Also save your resin and put some in a clean container with some tap water. If the resin takes the impurities out of the tap water the resin is still active and your problem is di vessel related. 

does day to day driving round "shake" the resin enough or should I remove it from the van and give it a good shake as well?

This is true. A di vessel on the back of the van should get shaken about enough. This could be an issue if the vessel is together with his r/o and storage tank.

It's a relatively new di vessel from daqua spectrum! I do my  Filtration in the garage but I did give it a shake a few times  when the ppm hit 2 and it dropped to 1

there is no o ring on the riser producing a seal with the lip of the vessel?

it doesn't leak when I screw it up. Any one have a pic of what it should look like?

No there’s no o ring in the head where the white plasiic bit clips in to the head.There is a o ring in the tube fitting.

A7138B39-C533-4D10-84D1-6BEAA4D025F1.jpeg

I’m having a similar problem tbh. I have a 300 gpd RO system and then twin DI (long story but I ended up with 2 vessels so thought would use both, the first Vessel just has the old resin in). The first Vessel is my oldest one and fills up with water and currently brings the water down to 4/5 ppm. The second one is only 4 months old but I can’t get it below 1 ppm and I’ve just put new Tulsion resin in from Daqua about 2 days ago. One thing I’ve noticed is the new vessel doesn’t fill up with water like the other one, in fact when you shake it it sounds like dry resin. But it must be doing something to bring it down to 1 ppm, but should defo be bringing it to 000.

My vessel has the same problem. I created a thread a while ago about the seal. I had it fixed and it it’s started doing it again 

I’m having a similar problem tbh. I have a 300 gpd RO system and then twin DI (long story but I ended up with 2 vessels so thought would use both, the first Vessel just has the old resin in). The first Vessel is my oldest one and fills up with water and currently brings the water down to 4/5 ppm. The second one is only 4 months old but I can’t get it below 1 ppm and I’ve just put new Tulsion resin in from Daqua about 2 days ago. One thing I’ve noticed is the new vessel doesn’t fill up with water like the other one, in fact when you shake it it sounds like dry resin. But it must be doing something to bring it down to 1 ppm, but should defo be bringing it to 000.
My resin is quite dry to, thought it was because i don't use it in a van system, and the flow wasn't as high as a static system 

My vessel has the same problem. I created a thread a while ago about the seal. I had it fixed and it it’s started doing it again 
Do you mean the o ring riser pipe seal or the head seal? How did you fix it?

My resin is quite dry to, thought it was because i don't use it in a van system, and the flow wasn't as high as a static system 

Do you mean the o ring riser pipe seal or the head seal? How did you fix it?

It wasn’t fitting in properly when I was tightening it, the head seal I think. Just took a bit of playing around to get it 

my resin is only lasting about six weeks,(in 11l Di) I use about 200 L a day four days a week and the tds going into the 11 D I is 10

according to the resin calculator 25 L bag should last 88 weeks?
to be honest I think those resin calculators are way out. Im only working part time at the mo, and use maybe 250 litres every 10 days or so ( as do a few trad as well) Now the calculator says mine should last over 400 weeks! well im now having to change it after a year so thats tosh. our tap water is terrible (540 odd) but the 40 21 gets it down to about 15 and then onto the 11 litre di which came ready with the ro as a set. was fine for about a year but now up to 3 after the di. So in my case the calculator says about 4 times longer than the reality. It was top notch resin from daqua, I just wouldnt trust the resin calculator figures.

We assume you are using good quality resin.

Maybe you are using more than 200 liters a day @Dragbag - that sounds a little low for daily window cleaning - or your problem is di vessel related.

If you give your di vessel a shake, does it improve the outcome? Water going through a di vessel does create channels or path ways in the resin which means all the remaining dissolved solids in the water aren't being removed by the resin. I do this a couple of times before finally changing the resin.

The other problem could be a fault with the di vessel. If the o ring in the 'head' is missing this apparently can mean that only half the resin in the vessel is being used. If the riser tube not seated properly in the head can also cause the same problem. When you do you next resin change, look for these issues. Also save your resin and put some in a clean container with some tap water. If the resin takes the impurities out of the tap water the resin is still active and your problem is di vessel related. 
I changed my resin the other day and so have taken your advice and put some old in a glass beaker about 2 inches with about 4 inches of tapwater which is 400 ppm and this is what the resin took it down to

449D0062-A999-4F8D-96A9-2BA6F8CED351.jpeg

I changed my resin the other day and so have taken your advice and put some old in a glass beaker about 2 inches with about 4 inches of tapwater which is 400 ppm and this is what the resin took it down to

View attachment 14733
I have linked your findings to @doug atkinson The way I see that is the resin still has life left in it so isn't totally spent. That small amount of resin has removed 274ppm of dissolved solids in the water so its purifying properties when it was in the di vessel aren't totally spent.

I have spoken to doug this morning, and we have come to the conclusion that the Di vessel sound so is the riser Doug suggested that I wait till the next resin change & then send him a sample of the old resin for testing...so that’s what I will do for now

just a side thought...

maybe the water isn't being distributed efficiently enough within the di, I noticed there are some di units by spectrum claiming  better resin efficiency. May have a look once we have sorted is out.

ps many tx to Doug for his help so far?

Back