Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Wfp On A Tight Budget Using A Pressure Sprayer

Dodger

For any tradder that has a window or two thats hard to reach or that wants to just dabble a little with WFP but doesn't want to fork out loads of money for a battery powered backpack or a complete van system. Also would work great for spraying virosol etc at high levels if you just want something that will do that.

I've been using this now for 3 months and to be honest unless I need to totally upscale with a van mount I'll be sticking with it although I am going to build one with 2 vessels pumped with one handle on a trolley set-up simply for the water capacity.

I'm only estimating here but with just one vessel I think the pressure at the brush when tap is fully open (at maximum pressure) exceeds 60psi so with 2 vessels I'm presuming the pressure will multiply, maybe not 2x but at least 1.5x which brings this in line with pumps used by the van mounts.

Because of the increased pressure I expect to get from 2 vessels I'm presuming that (A) I won't have to pump so much to reach a workable pressure or (I'll be able to look into using microbre hose instead of common garden hose.

(note that common garden hose or similar inside diameter has to be used throughout to achieve these kinds of results)

I made some more modifications after these pictures were taken that increased the pressure at the brush by at least 100% so take note of the last two images, I took out the trigger which was replaced with a Hozelock type tap which widened the diameter as the trigger was just too narrow (be careful some of these taps are too narrow inside diameter) and used the plastic Y piece from a washing machine single inlet pipe to split the hose at the jets.

I also put the hose through the pole rather than using the coiled one around it. The benefits are not having the coiled hose getting in the way when handling the pole and it uses less hose so less weight (coiled hose very heavy when full of water).

ALL YOU NEED IS:

1 Garden pressure sprayer (this one cost £7.00 from JTF warehouse)

10 metres garden hose (Got mine out shed so £0.00)

Hozelock type connectors & tap (Shed again so £0.00, buy them for around a fiver)

Slow set epoxy resin (£3.00 from Wilko's)(using slow set allows time for adjustments)

1 Y piece (Yep shed again so £0.00, Hozelock type would do but can buy these just as cheap)

Assorted tie wraps and some gaffa/duct tape will come in handy.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SEE THREAD IN DIY SECTION ON HOW TO MAKE A WFP WITH A HARRIS

1 5m Harris Decorators pole (£15.00 from B&Q)

1 Benson sweeping brush (£3.00 from Tesco or similar)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

pump1m.jpg

pump3.jpg

pump4.jpg

Note the difference in output between these two images, first one was with trigger still attached and second was after it was replaced with a wider inside diameter tap.

pump5.jpg

The walls 8ft away from the brush head

dsc00682dx.jpg

Alas that may never be but I came second in the end so I'm happy as a pig in muck with that lol (beat Mark yey)

Not sure I'd get any votes after recent events but what the hey lets go for it lol.

I reckon the one I have in mind as a conversion to a 25-40 litre container should clinch it if I save it till 29th lol.

Yep and it works fine up to second floor, possibly third as well but the 90psi chapin or solo knapsacks converted will do that easily.

thats brilliant the only problem i reckon would be the bristles on them brushes are soft so no use for birdmuck and the likes

Ya right there mate, does clean but not brilliantly. Does mine great but they been done trad previously obviously.

Didn't want to butcher a good one though to fit the little jets I made out of the wand.

taking over the world

Nah still playing with this idea, I found some mint 40 litre containers that I plan to convert by ripping the guts out of one of these. Make a trolley out of it.

Got the Chapin one still to do but I know it's pheasable now and if i can do a trolley system at 90 psi I'm laughing.

Not as much as the toy I was testing with sadly, that pushed out 6litres on a full pump up in 6 minutes but this one pushes out around (I'm having to think about this one lol) 1litre a minute still but only 4 litres per pump up.

I've got the toy in bits this afternoon and gonna use the piston pump out of that to try in the 40 litre container I'm gonna convert next, got some free time lol.

you might change your mind when you feel the weight of a 40l drum full .im using a pf trolley with 20l drums and that can be awkard enough

I was playing around with my youngest over the week end and he has got a battery powered Nerf gun must shoot about 20ft for ages he has the same but it is not battery powered and that must go nearly 30ft great fun but not for long i will look forward to you toy pump spray

True but it's one of those it's there so it's got to be done moments lol, I have a good solid 20l as well so may try both. Thats the thing it's got to be able to take the pressure and the 40 is stronger than the 20 so gonna try that first.

I have to add this is really only viable for the odd window here and there, it couldn't be used to do loads of windows because of the fact it has to be pumped for every window but it works and it's another option for a tradder or in case of equipment failure maybe.

Oh and it would spray virosol at least to 4th floor windows as well because of the increased flow.

Back