Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Benefits of a Signwritten Van.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

dmw

I know this topic has often been covered, but when I went Wfp 18 months ago I took my new van Into the local signwriters and had a tidy job done for £180 all in which was a bit of bargain.

Anyway I've had quite a few jobs since then usually getting a phone call or the odd email for Window Cleaning saying they'd seen the van etc.

Interestingly especially this time of year I've had a few enquiries for Fascia cleaning, for example I was at the traffic lights last week when the phone rang and my PA (the wife) answered it, and it was the guy behind me asking for a quote which he accepted and I made £120 for it.

I've probably made around £400 since having it signed up just on having a number on the van.

The only downside I can see is the growing problem with theft from vans as the criminal fraternity seem to be realising how much expensive kit we carry and are keen to relieve us of it.

As it is so far the good outweighs the bad for me.

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

After almost 18 years of trading without a sign written motor,  I got my van sign written this year, I have had to people contact me saying I have seen your van around, the plus for me is that I am the only local window cleaner covering my area to have a signed van so it makes me stand out and ensures that people know I am not just a random van man. 

Looks more professional
Also for thieves I would think they are after quicker thinks to sell and hide ie tools
Not a long pole they have to find another window cleaner to but
Welll that what I hope any way

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

It can actually go in your favour against thieves. They’re after builders vans or unmarked vans (the ones with hand held power tools, drills, saws etc) that are easy to get away with.
Long poles & a couple of squeegees would probably put them off i think. If it says “commercial” on your van they may be more inclined to target it, as poles are often worth a lot more doing commercial work and would still be worth something of significance second hand.
When you park up
Reverse the back doors right up against a wall or as tight as possible to the front of a neighbours vehicle. have the side door facing your house rather than on the road side so that you can see simply by looking out the window. Put a steering lock on so that they can’t take the van itself. If you have the luxury of a driveway with a garage, park the back doors up against the garage, and the side door close to the wall.
Drive an older van!! Half the time they’re after the van itself, not your tools. And don’t leave obvious things in the cab (rucksacks, cash wallets, *** packets, sunshades etc) some teenage kid on a bike smashed the cab window in on somebodies vehicle just to grab a pair of shades, so you can be sure they’ll do it to grab a pack of cigs or something.
Simple things like this will inconvenience their attempts.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

The only people looking to rob other window cleaners expensive carbon poles are dodgy cleaners.

County Durham Lad

Why don't you fit Deadlocks? I fitted one to the back doors and one to the side door, £300. Then I got my alarm fixed. If you don't make it difficult for the thieves then expect a visit. Always try and park you van so you can see the back doors. I had an opportunist thief try my back door when I was on a job. He reversed his van up to the back of mine and got out and tried my back door. I was lucky as I always lock my doors. The first I knew about it was when I went back to my van and a neighbor shouted me over and told me what had happened. I had seen them driving about looking at everything in a non-signed white van. I am keeping my eyes open so I can take down their reg number and hand it over to the police. There really is bad people out there. 

Also have to say customers don’t all ways look
I had my old van sign written and somebody smacking into it
I got a new one still haven’t had it sign written and for about two years I still had customers saying you have got a new van 24 cleans and they still dident notice a different van

It always makes me chuckle when a mate will tell me not to bother with the van signed or advertising. I usually tell them to tell all the biggest companies in the world to stop wasting their money on advertising. The reason they do it, is because they know the power of advertising. Our van is our best bit of advertising we have as long as we keep it clean and tidy. If one is not doing anything at the weekend then may I suggest you park it in a free carpark where everyone is coming and going. You will be surprised when someone calls you up for a quote. :1f609:

Another good thing about have you van sign written is when you get the people all ways stopping you working asking for a leaflet to never call in the past people have ask if I have a leaflet with a number on and I have replied have you got a phone they answer being yes so I replay take a photo of the van
Not being funny with the person and 9 time out of 10 I do get a call back from that

I hand out loads of leaflets when asked I just think they like something to read while on there walk

Another good thing about have you van sign written is when you get the people all ways stopping you working asking for a leaflet to never call in the past people have ask if I have a leaflet with a number on and I have replied have you got a phone they answer being yes so I replay take a photo of the van
Not being funny with the person and 9 time out of 10 I do get a call back from that

I hand out loads of leaflets when asked I just think they like something to read while on there walk

Had people follow me for my number lol and always getting asked for leaflets cards especially when I’m coming out of shops/supermarkets, or it could just be my good looks why people want my number lol 

Mine was £240 professionally fitted, paid for it self in the first 3 months easily I reckon.   

My favorite is my T-Shirt, I wear it everywhere, big as possible WINDOW CLEANER on the back, a stroll around a large tescos on a sunday usually adds a customer or two. 

i payed £180.00 for mine -  design and putting it on the van as well

Last edited by a moderator:
Paid £60 on my first van, £85 on my second. DIY job but it looks spot on IMO. Didn't go with any services the second time round, just made it as clear as possible that i'm a window cleaner. Both times the sign writing has paid for itself. I did nick ''Frames, Doors & Sills included as standard'' from someone though for the second one.... Sorry Darren ?

I got more than one in ten calls from people who ask for a card but a few months back I changed tact, i just ask where they live and tell them I can give them a free quote, pop over when i'm done and voila, a new customer!

Back