Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Suggestions for an important piece of kit

WfpTen

Here on the forum we talk about our vans, poles, gloves and brushes. However I haven't found any thread talking about one of the most important pieces of kit, footwear.

So what do you use? What can you recommend? What is important for you quality or price? Do you buy online?

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Here on the forum we talk about our vans, poles, gloves and brushes. However I haven't found any thread talking about one of the most important pieces of kit, footwear.

So what do you use? What can you recommend? What is important for you quality or price? Do you buy online?

Surely it must also depend on where you are working.

On some commercial sites you aren't allowed entry without steel toe capped boots. My son says the last pair he got were Workwear from Aldi and they are the best he has worn so far. I think they were 14.99. The previous pair came from Sports Direct and they didn't last anywhere near as long as the pair he wears now.

I have an unopened pair in the cupboard because I hate wearing them. Over the years my work shoe has been ordinary walking shoes by Karrimor. When I need them I go to Sports Direct. I generally buy a couple of pairs at the same time as they don't last that long. Prices differ quite a lot for the same pair depending on what they are try to sell at the time. The waterproof quality of some are better than others of the identical shoe.

Pair of trainers in the summer, and a pair of redback dealer boots in the winter to keep my feet dry.

I had a nasty fall from a ladder some years back because I was wearing a pair of regular trainers. I hated wearing heavy work boots and the trainers were nice and light. But when we had a passing shower the soles got wet and they became quite slippery and I paid the price. Thankfully I wasn't seriously injured though it was painful. I thought I'd caved my skull in I remember that much.

Since that point I've always gone with good quality walking shoes as these are usually designed for all weathers. I don't use ladders now but I still stick with the walking shoes. I go through about one pair a year.

In the summer months or when dry we  ware scarpa trainers good grip but don’t last long , winter months or when wet harkilla  stalker walking boots very expensive and a bit heavy but the only boot apart from welly’s that I’ve found to be 100% waterproof. Good grip and comfort is the most important thing to me price isn’t an issue I were them 8 hours a day so need decent stuff 

I wear walking shoes or trail running shoes as have a good grip, last about 6 months. In winter I use a set of army issue extreme cold weather boots, heavy but waterproof, warm and they're still going after 3 years on the windows and 2 years abuse in the army, with no wear on the soles

Maskot safety boots. But I change the inlay sole for a professional, more expensive type.

Have lasted me three years, but they are pretty much worn out now.

I bought them when I did ladder work, as I wanted the heel to stand against the rung, and the steel toe to drop/rest the ladder on.

They are completely waterproof.

Will try out a type that are a tad lighter next time.

Keen Targhee walking boots most of the year except when it's warmer they usually last 6 months before I walk the soles flat they are a lightweight, comfortable boot to wear all day and they are waterproof, I wear trainers also they need to really comfortable on feet as I have issues with my metatarsal bone.

Karrimor walking boots from sports direct for me.
Good grip ankle support normally last about 6-8 months.
Also need a size 15 which they do and not too expensive ?
emoji106.png

Size 15!!!! What are you, Sideshow Bob ?

New Balance Trainers for windows/gutters/fascia

Rigger Boots/pressure washing

Stopped wearing steel toe cap boots unless site requires it as I have lost feeling in a fair few toes. Doctor said its from wearing them......

Karrimoor for me also walking shoes don't last that long but very comfortable and waterproof. 

Just replaced a pair of 10yr old Lowa goretex for a pair of Altberg. Worn all year round. Really water proof and breathable.

https://www.altberg.co.uk/product/warrior-microlite-black

Paired with memory foam insoles.

https://www.altberg.co.uk/svartz-footbeds/product/svartz-memorex-footbeds/

Considering the amount of time spent on our feet they are definitely not worth scrimping on. Look after these boots and they will last 8-10 years.

They're not waterproof?

Latest Posts

Back