Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Kirksheridan

Hi all,

Just started out recently, just Trad to start with maybe/hopefully build up to warrant a WFP system.

I’m fortunate in that I’m in the Army and got a good little job where I work 4 days on 4 days off, so planning all my work on days off.

Too start with I’ve just dropped off 400 flyers (600 left) and gained 12 clients so far so going well (I think) couple of questions/queries,

should I expect many walk up customers from neighbours when on jobs?

What’s a reasonable amount of customers domestic to manage monthly?

Pricing wise I’m charging £15 first clean and £9 standard 3 bed semi (2 doors 8/9 windows) in Plymouth, Devon

Regards

Kirk

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Yes, expect plenty of walk ups. Especially if you're covering an area with no window cleaner already there. Personally, a lot, actually I would say most of my customers have either been walk ups, neighbours catching me 'can you start mine' or people over road watching me then coming over. You will most also likely get recommendations where either their friends or family will also be looking for a window cleaner. Once there, then their neighbours will be most likely coming out asking you. Again, a ton of my customers have been me being in the right place at the right time I hardly done any canvassing in the early days. 

As for pricing, only you can decide what you want to work for. And what the going rate are for your part of the country.

Cheers for info Suhrly thought as much that’s how I got my old window cleaner years ago before he just disappeared.

Will try and get myself established over next year or so then invest in expanding (hopefully)

Just starting out so it’s a steep learning curve at the moment but I’m enjoying it (might change my enthusiasm over winter months) ha ha

Regards
Kirk

should I expect many walk up customers from neighbours when on jobs?

What’s a reasonable amount of customers domestic to manage monthly?

Pricing wise I’m charging £15 first clean and £9 standard 3 bed semi (2 doors 8/9 windows) in Plymouth, Devon
You may get some walk ups, depends on how much the area is in need of a window cleaner. You'll get alot more by knocking on your customers neighbors doors though. 

Average is about 300 residential but varies a lot depending on size of houses and how spread out the work is.

Pricing seems ok but it really depends on how much you want/need to earn an hour so really price for how long the house takes (including travel)

Cheers Skxawng,

Yeah 300 seems a good number on domestic work, might be a little bit of a push on trad work as that’s a good 75 a week.

Pricing wise I’m going to slowly see how much I can up it over time to find the limit on new clients as when I say my pricing to all my customers so far they have snapped my hand off so might start changing my arm a little more.

Regards
Kirk

Your way to cheap.
Honestly I'd be looking at £15 front and back for a 3 bedroom semi with no conservatory.
IV mates round my area charging £6 front and back for the same size house then are gob smacked I get £15.
I get at least 8 out of 10 quotes as customers to.
I recently started a road that had a windy till he left earlier in the year.
He charged £4 front £8 front and Back. These custys were used to low prices so were shocked by my prices.
I still picked up about 60 houses over 3 road's .
I hear he had about 70 houses over the 3 road's.
Not bad as I only canvassed it a month ago and still getting calls from the roads.
I fully expect to keep these jobs to as they were all used to having a windy

It will be very difficult to increase the price once you have agreed it with a customer . You should probably try to get as much as you can from day one. All you guys appear to be working rather cheaply. I deal in Euro here in Ireland and a 3 bedroom semi is €30 without a conservatory. Translate that to pounds , it's about £28.

It will be very difficult to increase the price once you have agreed it with a customer . You should probably try to get as much as you can from day one. All you guys appear to be working rather cheaply. I deal in Euro here in Ireland and a 3 bedroom semi is €30 without a conservatory. Translate that to pounds , it's about £28.

What is the usual cleaning interval with €30 over there? Would that be a one off or regular service?

No, you want to demand £20 a month, try and encourage them that monthly cleans is the way forward. I only do monthly's and everyone is happy with it. OK, I understand commercial and massive houses or churches may want 3 monthly cleans but domestic certainly not.

Back