Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Picking up work

seasider92

Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of starting up and it's all started pretty well picking up work.

I'm just wondering, is it a lot harder to pick up business approaching the Christmas period as it is with other trades?. I would assume it wouldn't be the same as it isn't a huge one of payment anyway. (just wanted to check)

Reason I'm asking is providing I can keep picking work up at the same pace I will be looking to quit my current work in November. Just want to make sure I'm not going to be up s**T avenue in December if work suddenly dries up.

I have a lot of inquiries for cleaning just before christmas. But the period we're entering is the slow one, especially if you're living in a cold place with sub zero temperatures regularly.

I don't know your situation, but maybe cut your other job down to half?

That said, several people on here started out a year ago and did well.

I first started my business in December 5 years ago and picked many customers up through the winters months back then. If people are looking for a window cleaner I don't think it matters what time of year it is they'll take you on if they want a regular window cleaner.

Thanks for the response guys! I thought that might be the case.

Nudel - my initial plan was to go part time in my job. But if I stay in my current job for much longer I may have to check myself in to a mental hospital. Besides, currently moved back home so can have a few months of reduced income no problem at the moment.

We started in the last week of october 4 years ago and canvassed right the way through til march, it was a generally wet and windy winter, but we picked up a lot. What i’ve noticed however is that the calls don’t come in for window cleaning in winter months. If you go out looking for it, the chances are you’ll get it.
I dont canvass at all anymore as its one of my pet hates. Dont expect every day to be the same though, some days we went out, canvassed and picked up a lot of houses. Another day i went out, canvassed 6 streets of terraces and only picked up a single one off.
The best day for canvassing is saturday 10:30-2:30 i found.
Once we had our base rounds people start approaching you in the street and recommendations start coming in. Gutters were almost always the next thing people asked for. We then pumped as much money as we could in to ad-on equipment & by April/may we were surviving, first 6 months it was beans on toast and a real struggle.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

You would be either brave or stupid to quit your job in the winter to become a full time window cleaner. The amount of effort you put in would decide which one it is.

I started last year. Didn't do any canvassing at first as I worked a full time job. I dropped some leaflets one Sunday which brought in a few, I cleaned some friends and then leafleted the street which got me a few more as well as a few walk ups. Freebies for friends were really good for polishing my skills. By the time I went full time in April I had 45 customers. A couple of weeks back I passed 200 regular for the first time. Customers come and go, there's a lot of learning to do along the way both about customers and the job. As people have said you can pick up customers in winter but you need to be willing to relentlessly knock doors. You need to be ready to be out in the pouring rain and ice cold temperatures otherwise you ain't buying many xmas presents this year.

If you're happy in your current job and can hold off until February I would do that. Gives people the time to get over xmas and you are ready to go for spring! Not many people walk up to you in winter, not many people call because the sun isn't reminding them how dirty their windows are. Good luck whatever you decide, any questions you know where to come!

Thanks guys! I guess i'll just see how the first few months go in regards to picking up work.

If I'm feeling confident I may take the dive, but have no issues holding off till February anyway!.

Cheers!

Ryan

Im in a similar boat buddy! Been a self employed bathroom fitter for over 10 years and I've had an absolute gut full. Cant wait for a new challenge and would desperately love to just jack in the bathrooms and go all in, however with a mortgage and young family to support I'm planning to slow down and faze out the bathrooms over the next 6 months to keep a bit coming in while growing my round.

I guess now is a good time to get everything in order, including mastering the craft and we can be ready to hit the ground running in the spring!

Encouragingly I already have 20 customers through word of mouth. Its amazing how word does spread!

Good Luck!

Im in a similar boat buddy! Been a self employed bathroom fitter for over 10 years and I've had an absolute gut full. Cant wait for a new challenge and would desperately love to just jack in the bathrooms and go all in, however with a mortgage and young family to support I'm planning to slow down and faze out the bathrooms over the next 6 months to keep a bit coming in while growing my round.

I guess now is a good time to get everything in order, including mastering the craft and we can be ready to hit the ground running in the spring!

Encouragingly I already have 20 customers through word of mouth. Its amazing how word does spread!

Good Luck!
You're in a good trade for word to spread too. Customers trust tradesmen to recommend window cleaners.

I think winter is a cracking time to start. Although you won't pick up the customer base to go full time you will experience possibly the hardest part of the job.... The freezing cold mornings when you can't feel your fingers. The pipes freezing in the back of the van because of the sub zero temperatures... Get some good gloves. If you make it to February/ March time you can make this work.

Good Luck!
Ah that's a decent start then! goodluck to you!

I'm not currently tied down with mortgage and other commitments ( yet ). So could probably just go for it.

But have decided to just build up gradually now and then i'll quit around February as P4dstar recommended.

Be interested to see how you get on over the next few months so be sure to leave a post somewhere on here!

Latest Posts

Back