Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

is a four way swivel possible

Up and down as well as side to side,to keep brush head at the right angle

One of the big problems you have is stability of the brush head on the glass. Many years ago before swivels where available from suppliers there was a cleaner who did this and used to sell them. He used to cut the sivel off a salmon floor brush and attach it to a Salmon brush that worked ok for window cleaning. I haven't a good photo of it but what he had to do is fit a 'stop' to prevent the brush head flopping forward and backwards beyond a fixed point.

Gaz's brushes.jpg

Unfortunately Salmon stopped making that particular swivel, replacing it with another. Some of us had paid orders in for them which were never supplied and the guy disappeared from the forum.

I later tried to use a swivel cut from a later brush but I failed to get it to work.

deck-scrub-brush-a7305-700x700-228x228.jpg

Bought one of these to play with for that very reason a few weeks ago. Dual pivot but unlike the doodle bug style it has a tensioning lock on it. Off, and it’s your normal floppy doodle bug style. Lock on, adds tension in both directions and makes it very controllable on glass, especially at height. In my opinion this mechanism is ‘the missing link’ on the waterfed Wagtail Wave. 

90E002A1-2311-4616-873C-69E87968CE8D.jpeg

Bought one of these to play with for that very reason a few weeks ago. Dual pivot but unlike the doodle bug style it has a tensioning lock on it. Off, and it’s your normal floppy doodle bug style. Lock on, adds tension in both directions and makes it very controllable on glass, especially at height. In my opinion this mechanism is ‘the missing link’ on the waterfed Wagtail Wave. 

View attachment 14849
Don't tell H Man that. ?

The simple answer is that you can't use a dual axis swivel on a WFP brush. Unlike the flat surface of a sanding application, the bristles on a WFP brush remove that contact stability. You would require a certain amount of tension on the vertical axis (like eric above) to get it even close to being usable- at best. The vertical axis presents multiple problems/issues to the point that I believe even if you got one to a degree of function it would present more negative issues than positive. 

The simple answer is that you can't use a dual axis swivel on a WFP brush. Unlike the flat surface of a sanding application, the bristles on a WFP brush remove that contact stability. You would require a certain amount of tension on the vertical axis (like eric above) to get it even close to being usable- at best. The vertical axis presents multiple problems/issues to the point that I believe even if you got one to a degree of function it would present more negative issues than positive. 
Totally agree. The only way a dual pivot would work effectively is with a block as illustrated. With pad? No issues at all. But 4cm bristle is simply going to put too much stress on the vertical plane.

Back