Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Heater for back of van

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Viggers

Hi, I have gone from pure freedom trolley system to van mount, and as winter is approaching i'm looking at running an extension lead from my garage into the back of my van and plug into some kind of heater, im looking for one that switches itself on when it gets to 4 degrees or less. In order to stop the pumps and controllers and pipework from freezing. Was wondering if any of you guys that have been van mount for a few years can recommend a heater that would do the job and wont cost a fortune to run. I appreciate any replies Thanks 

Hi, I have gone from pure freedom trolley system to van mount, and as winter is approaching i'm looking at running an extension lead from my garage into the back of my van and plug into some kind of heater, im looking for one that switches itself on when it gets to 4 degrees or less. In order to stop the pumps and controllers and pipework from freezing. Was wondering if any of you guys that have been van mount for a few years can recommend a heater that would do the job and wont cost a fortune to run. I appreciate any replies Thanks 
Most use an oil filled heater with a frost stat.

I use an old 800 watt skirting board heater. I salvaged 3 from a skip 28 years ago outside a hose refurb in Johannesburg on my way home from work. They were about 20 years old then. One didn't work but the other 2 did. I welded up metal frames with wheels and they each went in the children's bedrooms. 

I added a frost stat to each of them about 10 years ago. I use one in my van and we drain the pump down on son's van to protect the pump from freezing up. My frost stat kicks on at 2 degrees and off at 5 degrees. We have had a couple of bad winters and haven't had anything frozen in the past 10 years.

My pumps are fitted to the tank frame about 1/2 way up. I have a duvet over the tank which covers the pumps and hose reels. Filling the tank with water at 8 or 9 degrees also helps to keep the pumps from freezing up.

I use an old 800 watt skirting board heater. I salvaged 3 from a skip 28 years ago outside a hose refurb in Johannesburg on my way home from work. They were about 20 years old then. One didn't work but the other 2 did. I welded up metal frames with wheels and they each went in the children's bedrooms. 

I added a frost stat to each of them about 10 years ago. I use one in my van and we drain the pump down on son's van to protect the pump from freezing up. My frost stat kicks on at 2 degrees and off at 5 degrees. We have had a couple of bad winters and haven't had anything frozen in the past 10 years.

My pumps are fitted to the tank frame about 1/2 way up. I have a duvet over the tank which covers the pumps and hose reels. Filling the tank with water at 8 or 9 degrees also helps to keep the pumps from freezing up.
And you actually shipped them to the UK ? I know you don't like to throw things away but @spruce even you must admit that's extreme ?

That's what I like about you Spruce, you don't waste anything[emoji1] [emoji1]

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

An oil filled radiator costs around £35, I haven't a clue what they cost to run but it will save you a fortune in lost hours compared to if the reels do freeze 

I never got on with the oil filled rad, I found the heat went straight out of the roof above it. 

I use a 2Kw fan heater, it clicks in at 2* but circulates the warm air better.

Hi mate, I got it from B&Q.

not sure on running costs as it flicks in and out. Through the winter months on a Friday afternoon I connect it up and unplug it on the Monday morning 

Ive got a vw Transporter . it didn't cone with a roof linieing.I take my gear out,sling a bed in the back and go a way for a few dys.In the winter though,put yer hand on the steel roof your know what cold realy feels like. so you know guys insulate their camper vans,so I put some insulation on my roof 1/4"" aprox Foil coated oneside,very sticky tother high density rubber from ,HARRISONS TRIM this stuff,s the real deal, and the difference, was great 5 maybe 6 degrees,i put an oil heater in van but saved money iam sure.

@spruce you take ''make do and mend'' to the next level. Fair play to you!

steptoe.jpg

I have throw a old duvet over my tank and reel and also use a small oil fill radiator. 

@spruce you take ''make do and mend'' to the next level. Fair play to you!

View attachment 14867

I'm afraid I'm from another generation. The world has changed and I've been left behind in the old one. I grew up in a world where you had to fix something when it broke as a replacement could be 3 to 4 months away. It was like that on the Copperbelt on the Congo boarder in the late 1950's and 1960's.

I have an industrial Bosch battery drill/screwdriver which is about 12 years old. The batteries are Nicad. (Some of the younger ones might not know what those are. ? But I can tell you in the late 1980's they were cutting edge technology that we were so excited about in the power tool industry.) It just bugs me that the cost of upgrading/replacing 2 battery packs is more than a new drill with 2 lithium battery packs.

This throw away market is something you younger ones see as normal. My son's flat screen Samsung TV set packed up a couple of months ago. We opened it and I pointed out a couple of swollen capacitors. A few pence, solder and a soldering iron could fix that. No, he went out and bought a new bigger TV and took the old one to the tip.

Whilst they awaited their new tv the grandkids were rather upset with not having a TV to watch. So we loaned them an old small flatscreen we had upstairs for a few days. I put new batteries into the remote for them. Did the GKs moan about this 32" TV being too small! To add insult to injury, they nicked the batteries from my remote as they didn't receive batteries with their new TV when it was delivered. ?

I have a perfectly good Bosch sabre saw (PFZ550 all purpose saw Bosch calls it) in the garage. It needs a new armature. A replacement armature with new carbon brushes is a similar price as a new machine.

Back