Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How much money?

Jones

Hi all newbie to window cleaning & the forum.

Iv recently started my window cleaning business trying to get it off the ground whilst still working my full time job i mainly trad but also recently brought a wfp backpack which seems great so far.

But my big question is how much money can I expect to earn??

I’d love to be able to start window cleaning full time just need to build up my round I’m just worried my window cleaning will never match my full time job wage. I know it might be a personal question but how much do people earn a year? Or how much can I expect to earn once I have a full round.

Thanks for replies in advance [emoji106]

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

It's like how long is a piece of string well priced compact work can earn you more than spread out working in and out of the van driving around etc. 

Everyones earnings will be different mate and probably wont want to state it on a public forum.

One way of looking at it is.... you will have your own idea of what you want to charge, work out your average price per job. You will know roughly how many of these jobs you can do per day. So then multiply your avg price by how many jobs per day which will tell you roughly what you couldd be getting as a day rate. If trying to get a figure then say you think you can do 10-15 jobs a day, base it on 10 jobs a day, always better to under estimate than over estimate. Anything over your estimation that way is a bonus! From your day rate work out your weekly, then multiply that by 46 (4 weeks holiday + 2 weeks when weather doesnt allow you to work. It will never be 52 weeks working)

Youll then have a near enough figure I reckon

Iron Giant makes a very good point. Make sure you factor in travel time between jobs to know how many you can realistically do in a day

Thanks for the replies lads I know it’s a hard question to answer as it’s down to myself really I live in a small town so all work is relatively close which is a bonus. This Xmas will be my 1st window cleaning so hope I can manage through it & be steady as will be tough working full time aswel then hopefully in the new will try smash out the advertising & fingers crossed this time next year il be full time window cleaning if not part time ?

I work full time. 40 hours per week 4 days a week. So I know where you’re coming from and how you feel!
I’ve been going 9 months. I’ve got a nice steady round and taking on average £450 a month working about 3-4 days a month. That’s without addons.

I’ve moved to WFP half way through the year because of some large commercial jobs I got. Now invested in a gutter vac too. It’s entirely possible to earn an extra 1,000-1,500 per month whilst working full time. I’ve done it. It’s hard work but it’ll be worth it in the end!

Last edited by a moderator:
I work full time. 40 hours per week 4 days a week. So I know where you’re coming from and how you feel!
I’ve been going 9 months. I’ve got a nice steady round and taking on average £450 a month working about 3-4 days a month. That’s without addons.

Remember however that this is turnover. You need to deduct the cost of window cleaning equipment, fuel costs, website costs etc... etc... Also you won't get paid bank holidays, holidays, sick leave, pension contributions etc....

Although turnover is important it's really profit that we should look to increase.

Having said that £450 a month for 3 to 4 days a month after only 9 months in business is a good start...

That’s without addon work. This month I worked 5 days. Took about 1100. Spent close to 300-350 because I had to hire my brother and a van for a couple of days. I’ve worked hard but it’s been worth it.

Usually I’d only spend close to £100 on month to month running costs. I.e insurance, water production, website, email etc. Plus a little bit of fuel if the missus ever drives me around.

I know everyone is in different situations about out-goings. It all depends on your personal circumstances. I don’t own a van, or drive, so I don’t need to factor in fuel, insurance or maintenance every month. But I’m looking at getting a van and trying to scale quickly and take on a lot more work.

If you have a full time job you can afford to take it slow-time like I have. I’ve let the work come to me rather than going out canvassing.

And I have purchased the things I have needed as I’ve gone on.

You can make as much money as you want by working as much or as little as you want. As long as you make back your monthly outgoings, it’s all fine!

Your out going is not much for a compact Trad round to begin with. Once you get fully committed to it, then don't expect much change out of £10k with all the add-ons. I guess I've spent close to £10k and only need to buy a descent vac now, which will be £2.7k for the one I want. It all adds up but once you have it all and its paid for then you are swimming with the tide. You can make £200 a day fairly easy once you get established.

Your out going is not much for a compact Trad round to begin with. Once you get fully committed to it, then don't expect much change out of £10k with all the add-ons. I guess I've spent close to £10k and only need to buy a descent vac now, which will be £2.7k for the one I want. It all adds up but once you have it all and its paid for then you are swimming with the tide. You can make £200 a day fairly easy once you get established.
You're definitely a hobbyist ? I can't understand how you have spent that much money on equipment, in all honesty,  I haven't spent that in over 18 years just on equipment for the job but I haven't gone into doing loads of add-ons really don't see the point of spending £1,000's on equipment and having loads of equipment for various jobs when a really decent wage can be made just doing windows.   

You're definitely a hobbyist ? I can't understand how you have spent that much money on equipment, in all honesty,  I haven't spent that in over 18 years just on equipment for the job but I haven't gone into doing loads of add-ons really don't see the point of spending £1,000's on equipment and having loads of equipment for various jobs when a really decent wage can be made just doing windows.   

What we are finding up here is:- the window cleaning customer wants a one stop shop. They want their window cleaner to clean the PVC, conservatory, gutter and anything else that needs cleaned. Old timers say no and they need to get someone else and we eventually get the windows as well. Old cleaner not willing to change and slowly loses customers. That's what we are witnessing up here. I was over 4 grand for my PW stuff, £700 to get my vans alarm fixed, Website £600, Van signed and other signs, £700, Grand for checkatrader, SLX pole and 2 backpacks plus rest of stuff over a grand, Ladders, chemicals and clothing gear 600. Not to mention my van (which I already had) insurance, license, cards, flyers and bits and pieces. Yes over £10k and I still want a 3 grand vac. Yes, window cleaning is changing and the old timers are getting left behind. In life one must be flexible and move with the times or you usually get squeezed out. That's my take fwiw.

I reckon your pressure washer didn't leave much change from £10k it took them so long to get it to you haha

I'm getting better at building things, my new Vac system was less than a grand and it has a camera. Three miserable days up here for rain, begun Sunday and will end Tomorrow night. :1f644:

Only thing I have left to do is my van. Fit a tank and one hose reel but I will add a hot system. You can buy a 6l Fastar heater for £50 on ebay. Quite cheap to build your own system for less than a grand if you know how or know someone who can do it. I know someone up here from the forum when I choose to do it. :1f609:

Back