Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

SETTING IP IBC!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Stallion

Hi fellas

Ok got my 1000 litre ibc tank

RO is 450gpd with an 11 litre DI vessel

Setting this up in the garden

Don’t have any garage or any indoor space I can put it so going to leave it outside

What I d like to know is how to protect my ibc from the cold winter months being left outdoors!

So for now I’m going to use a heavy duty car rain cover to cover it and some plastic sheeting to protect it and maybe in the minus temperatures will use one of them rad heaters!

Anything else anyone can recommend to protect and prevent water from freezing?

Appreciate advice fellas!

Thanks

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Even in the coldest weeks last winter my ibc only froze once and that was only 2cm all round the outside and inside that was fine

For the ro and di I would get a keter storage box or similar from argos or b&q and insulate that and drill 3 small holes for the input, pure and waste pipes

Should be fine then

You could even buy a small tube heater designed for reptile tanks etc to ensure it stays warm

Even in the coldest weeks last winter my ibc only froze once and that was only 2cm all round the outside and inside that was fine
For the ro and di I would get a keter storage box or similar from argos or b&q and insulate that and drill 3 small holes for the input, pure and waste pipes
Should be fine then
You could even buy a small tube heater designed for reptile tanks etc to ensure it stays warm

Cheers mate
Where do you get them tube heaters mate?

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I built a little wooden shelter, with 3 walls, literally 5x5 foot. £170ish all in. A few lengths of 2x4s wood, 5 sheets of ply which I covered in fence paint then pva glue to make water proof, then covered it all in shed felt. Actually came out look quite smart, thought it would be a eye sore lol. But definitely having something that keeps the rain & frost landing on it really helps.

Thankfully in Bournemouth we don’t get too many weeks where it’s well below zero, but during that beast of the east week, I drained my tank down, then turned my R.O on from tap without booster pump to fill the tank again (it was very slow due to cold weather and terrible psi without booster pump) I tested the temperature of the water from garden tap, even when it was -3 outside in the evening, water was still 6.5 degrees coming out of the tap! So a good thing to do is try and keep the R.O running when it’s going below. Oh and a big thick quilt over the tank & R.O helps as well.

Thankfully I have all mine in a shed, last weekend I insulated the sides of the shed and the roof with foil therma-wrap it has the same insulation properties as 150mm of fiberglass insulation I picked up a cheap stapler from B&M's and just stapled it to the inside of the shed, It was more to protect my R/O and booster pump and to stop the water freezing in the hoses overnight.

Thankfully I have all mine in a shed, last weekend I insulated the sides of the shed and the roof with foil therma-wrap it has the same insulation properties as 150mm of fiberglass insulation I picked up a cheap stapler from B&M's and just stapled it to the inside of the shed, It was more to protect my R/O and booster pump and to stop the water freezing in the hoses overnight.
Yes good idea. I did the same But around my tank forgot to mention it. Even 3 or 4 days into the beast of the east week where it was minus day and night the water in the tank only got down to 3 I measured 

I was considering fish fish tank heaters, if anyone use them at all? 

Yes good idea. I did the same But around my tank forgot to mention it. Even 3 or 4 days into the beast of the east week where it was minus day and night the water in the tank only got down to 3 I measured 

I think Green Pro clean said he use themin his van mount in one of his vids...he may chip in.

I have two aquarium heaters. I’ve pushed them through some industrial foam so they float in the water and the foam acts as a bumper so the hot heater can’t touch the plastic of the tank.

The heaters are put in the tank overnight and will warm the water, but won’t make it hot.

I like it as it’s a good start before it goes through my gas heater

Back