Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

New to the game

Doddy111

Your Real Name: Matt

The Location You're In: Manchester 

How Long You Have Been Cleaning: 0 years 

Brief intro about yourself:

Just graduated from uni with the intention to be a PE teacher but now looking at going into WFP.

Bought my van last week, I’m going for a DIY van set up so you’ll find me lurking in the forum trying to learn as much as I can.

A couple of questions to begin with I’m not on a water meter and my TDS reading is 27, would everyone go with DI vessels? 

Would these be put on the van so I fill the tank up with my tap water? Or is it better to run it through the DI vessels in my back garden and store it in a large container then transfer it to the van? 

Thanks in advance 

Your Real Name: Matt
The Location You're In: Manchester 
How Long You Have Been Cleaning: 0 years 

Brief intro about yourself:
Just graduated from uni with the intention to be a PE teacher but now looking at going into WFP.

Bought my van last week, I’m going for a DIY van set up so you’ll find me lurking in the forum trying to learn as much as I can.

A couple of questions to begin with I’m not on a water meter and my TDS reading is 27, would everyone go with DI vessels? 

Would these be put on the van so I fill the tank up with my tap water? Or is it better to run it through the DI vessels in my back garden and store it in a large container then transfer it to the van? 

Thanks in advance 

Di in van
Water to tank then di then pump to hose reel

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Are you sure your water TDS is only 27, seems very low for a urban area. It's only 400 lower than mine [emoji26]
You lads have got me worrying now, I’m assuming this is right and I’ve not messed it up somehow (reading 28 now)
842ddf000ddc7a7fdb943bca54d8d1ca.jpg

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

We need another Mancunian to confirm that TDS, it just appears to be very low. If you were in some remote area then it is possible but usually in a densely populated area it would be higher methinks. No expert on TDS meters but I've never seen one like yours. 

You got a filtration system in the house?

Sent from my iPad using Window Cleaning Forums

No I’ve never had one put in.. I’ve heard you can take your water to a aquatics shop and they’ll test it for you so I’ll try that tomorrow I’m hoping it’s right [emoji1374]

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

Even bottled water is twice that number, sure your meter is working?
Bottled water is in the hundreds.  Once tested Evian and Coke. Coke had a lower TDS.   Bottled water is crammed with minerals. 

Fill and old water bottle from the tap and go find another window cleaner that can confirm it for you. Never met a windy not happy to help out. 

We're just the other side of Motram Pass from you and ours is 147ppm.  

Bottled water is in the hundreds.  Once tested Evian and Coke. Coke had a lower TDS.   Bottled water is crammed with minerals. 

Fill and old water bottle from the tap and go find another window cleaner that can confirm it for you. Never met a windy not happy to help out. 

We're just the other side of Motram Pass from you and ours is 147ppm.  

Yep I tested a bottle of smart water and the TDS was over 500 so I presumed my TDS meter was knackered.

Postman’s just delivered my new one so I’ll test it now.

I’d love to find a WFP windy round my area I’ve never seen one they’re all trad guys by me.

df96a92801c1dc58fa74dcb0eb861648.jpg

Driving me mad this ones reading 27 the others reading 39 [emoji35] I’m off to an aquatics shop now to get it tested

df96a92801c1dc58fa74dcb0eb861648.jpg

Driving me mad this ones reading 27 the others reading 39 [emoji35] I’m off to an aquatics shop now to get it tested

If one of the tds meters is a cheap fake off ebay then you can't guarantee the reading is accurate. If the other one is from a reputable wfp supplier then go off that reading.

County Durham Lad

If one of the tds meters is a cheap fake off ebay then you can't guarantee the reading is accurate. If the other one is from a reputable wfp supplier then go off that reading.

County Durham Lad

I use the cheap fakes from eBay, normally get the same reading as that from my in line TDS meters. I honestly think the suppliers just take the same ? and re-package it to sell it for £15. 

The one on the left in the picture is an eBay special, Gardiners sell a similar one which I assume its made to look like.

Next time I place an order with Gardiners I'm gonna get one of the meters they sell and see if we have any difference.

Latest Posts

Back