Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

2 Very different questions.....

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Robt100

HI all,

Thought I would save some forum space and put these both in one topic ?

1) Vanports
Has anyone hear fitted their own? Ive searched high and low for a video or diagram on plumbing up and how to get it through the van floor but to no success. I assume its just a case of a hole saw and post the pipe through, but what do you guys use to fill the gap and stop the pipe rubbing on sharp/edge metal? Also, whats the best fitting for getting on either side of the port? It will need something to clamp it to the port, so some kind of threaded join, but then barbed to the hose at either end with a hozlock/rectus style join at the port to connect the pipes?

2) RO efficiency

Has anyone got an idea of how water pressure affect RO efficency? Im currently running around 50-60psi but getting only a 93% rejection rate, I just wanted to know if the membrane is shot or if it is due to lower psi (400 in, 26 out) as it was 2nd hand. Also, the waste valve seems very iffy, sometimes stiff, sometimes loose, if i turn from open to its optimum position I get a different pressure to turning it from closed to that position. So I reckon I need a new one, its a daqua 4021 system, couldn't see a spare waste tap/valve on their site, maybe @doug atkinson might be able to point me in the right direction?

IF anyone can help with either problem it'd be much appreciated!
Thanks
Rob

Regarding the Ro efficiency, I would say its more than likely you need a new membrane if its 26 out of 400. Specially as its 2nd hand. I have the daqua 4021 and our tap water is 530 odd and then comes out the Ro at 13 or 14, then into the di and 0 (depending on how much the resin has done) Pressure is not much over 40. The pressure will change if you open/close the valve/tap. Never fully close it, it increases the pressure but not enough waste will get out. When/if you get a new membrane for it, get proper one from daqua, maybe new prefilters too as they have limited life. Then work out what gets the lowest reading after Ro.  Ive found my tap almost has to be closed, gets to around 42-45 pressure, which gives about 3.5 waste to 1 pure. Not bad though, get 250 litres in just under 4 hours, just shame about the waste water.

Yeh thats just the way those taps are. Its good it gets stiffer as closes, else would be easy to accidentally close it totally which is big no no. You prob know this but keep tap fully open for flush before use for maybe 20 minutes. But when you get a new one, flush it fully for several hours, maybe longer Ive heard now. They take time to bed down to get the best efficiency.

I used something similar to these. The hardest part is finding somewhere suitable and free from other gubbins under the van to restrict hose routing. I then attached normal hoselock connectors to the underside of my rear bumper. I don’t use an external hose reel as mine is fixed so mainly use it to fill the van up (I connected 3 fittings). I’ve also insulated the hose under the van - had no issues with freezing from day 1
4a328cdae7eef8f01f0b79d8a81044b1.jpg

With regards To RO efficiency, my membrane has been performing in the mid to low 90% range for a while - without the booster pump the TDS is around 17ppm after RO (water pressure 20-30psi). TDS after RO with booster pump is between 8-10ppm (water pressure boosted to around 80psi for optimum pure/waste ratio).
My input TDS varies massively at the moment as we have a lot of building work in the area - currently fluctuating between 270ppm-400ppm.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Thanks @ks789 @AGlassAct that helps  a lot so far, especially the RO details. knowing my waste gate might not be the only one like it may suggest its normal, but i may get a replacement to be on the safe side.
Those hose barbs look a good idea for getting through the metalwork, reckon at this rate the van floor is gonna be more holes than floor! Got a good idea for routing already though so hopefully shouldn't be too bad.

Latest Posts

Back