Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Resin DI vessel Shaking / decantering

jack b

Has anyone had any experience of decantering used resin from a DI vessel and /or giving it a good shake up and then re using it in the vessel. If so, does it last , is it worth doing or would this be a waste of time.  

Water going through the DI vessel can make channels in the resin, so giving the vessel a good shake should disperse the resin beads and make it last longer.

I also use double DI in order to extend the life of my resin (my tap TDS averages out at roughly 65ppm).

Water going through the DI vessel can make channels in the resin, so giving the vessel a good shake should disperse the resin beads and make it last longer.

I also use double DI in order to extend the life of my resin (my tap TDS averages out at roughly 65ppm).
Thanks Cookie. Yes I'm the same here. Tap reading is 55 but I replaced one of my vessels only on 8th Sept reducing it to 0 but today its already showing  2. Thats just 4500 litres = 15 days work !! I've had it last much much longer than that previously. Ill give it a go at the weekend. Cheers

Thanks Cookie. Yes I'm the same here. Tap reading is 55 but I replaced one of my vessels only on 8th Sept reducing it to 0 but today its already showing  2. Thats just 4500 litres = 15 days work !! I've had it last much much longer than that previously. Ill give it a go at the weekend. Cheers
The biggest benefit would be a double DI. Switch round each time so the old resin is at the back and it goes through the new resin last. Take your current position for example, you are getting 2ppm from 55, so that resin is still working just not getting you to 0. Going through that resin and then another will make the new resin last longer. But yeah give it to the kids to kick around the garden for 10mins will help too

The biggest benefit would be a double DI. Switch round each time so the old resin is at the back and it goes through the new resin last. Take your current position for example, you are getting 2ppm from 55, so that resin is still working just not getting you to 0. Going through that resin and then another will make the new resin last longer. But yeah give it to the kids to kick around the garden for 10mins will help too
Cheers P4dstar, I am using 2 di vessels in sequence and have done for years. Thats why I getting just a little concerned with the readings. I am going to have a go a decantering and refilling the same resin when it gets to 10. 

Thanks

Just a little update for anyone that is interested,    I emptied the DI vessel ,containing the oldest resin, into a receptacle over the weekend. Gave it a good shake and refilled the vessel with the old resin. A check on the TDS reading before I emptied it and then after refilling it revealed absolutely no difference. I thought that shaking it about etc may have exposed some previously untouched resin inside the vessel to help purify the water. Alas, the reading was exactly the same as when I started so I guess that decantering and refilling with the same resin makes no difference. Hope this helps someone else who may be thinking along the same lines...   

Just a little update for anyone that is interested,    I emptied the DI vessel ,containing the oldest resin, into a receptacle over the weekend. Gave it a good shake and refilled the vessel with the old resin. A check on the TDS reading before I emptied it and then after refilling it revealed absolutely no difference. I thought that shaking it about etc may have exposed some previously untouched resin inside the vessel to help purify the water. Alas, the reading was exactly the same as when I started so I guess that decantering and refilling with the same resin makes no difference. Hope this helps someone else who may be thinking along the same lines...   
I've never bothered removing the resin from the vessel, I just roll it around the garden, I can normally get a bit longer out of it that way. Personally I would be concerned that whatever I put it into would contaminated the resin. The idea isn't so much that you can find untouched resin, its to remove water channels which may stop the resin from working. 

Back