Welcome guest/lurker! Read more... ×
JM WINDOW CLEANING

How many of you work alone and do you prefer it that way ?

JM WINDOW CLEANING

I’ve been cleaning windows trad for a small amount of customers now who are mainly friends and family. I do this around my full time job as I work on a shift pattern. Around where I live I mainly see small groups of 2-3 window cleaners working together. I got talking to a couple of lads cleaning windows last week and they said they’d never work alone and asked me how I foot my ladder. I explained that I use a ladder m8rix but they seemed shocked that I do it alone. When I explained I only do a small number of houses every 3 weeks they said if I wanted to go at it full time I’d need another cleaner. I was just just wondering what people’s opinions were on this. As I understand it most of you guys work alone ? 

Incheck
I’ve been cleaning windows trad for a small amount of customers now who are mainly friends and family. I do this around my full time job as I work on a shift pattern. Around where I live I mainly see small groups of 2-3 window cleaners working together. I got talking to a couple of lads cleaning windows last week and they said they’d never work alone and asked me how I foot my ladder. I explained that I use a ladder m8rix but they seemed shocked that I do it alone. When I explained I only do a small number of houses every 3 weeks they said if I wanted to go at it full time I’d need another cleaner. I was just just wondering what people’s opinions were on this. As I understand it most of you guys work alone ? 

Yeah most people work alone, i work as a pair, it certainly helps when it comes to ladder work, also big add on jobs get boxed off quickly. And the company is great! Working alone can be a bit demoralizing at times.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

mike007

Am a one man band, and like it, had a mate helping for a week when he was between jobs,was ok and he was a mate so didn,t t*** it o** when helping. When you see two windies working together they probably operate as a pair,sharing everything equally, so not a boss and employee.

JM WINDOW CLEANING
4 minutes ago, Incheck said:

Yeah most people work alone, i work as a pair, it certainly helps when it comes to ladder work, also big add on jobs get boxed off quickly. And the company is great! Working alone can be a bit demoralizing at times.

I agree working alone can be demoralising. However, it seems the most logical if I were to start trying to build up more work with a view to going full time. Do most trad guys have a backpack or trolley for awkward windows ? These guys said if it was too awkward they just wouldn’t clean it. I think cleaning windows is an ideal business because of the fact you can do it alone and build up a customer base off your own back.

JM WINDOW CLEANING
1 minute ago, mike007 said:

Am a one man band, and like it, had a mate helping for a week when he was between jobs,was ok and he was a mate so didn,t t*** it o** when helping. When you see two windies working together they probably operate as a pair,sharing everything equally, so not a boss and employee.

I’m pleased to hear you like it because I don’t think I’d have a problem working on my own on a full time basis. As long as it pays, do you ever have to miss customers due to the weather or do you always catch up with what work you have missed ? How often do you get behind due to the wind or rain etc ? 

Incheck
I agree working alone can be demoralising. However, it seems the most logical if I were to start trying to build up more work with a view to going full time. Do most trad guys have a backpack or trolley for awkward windows ? These guys said if it was too awkward they just wouldn’t clean it. I think cleaning windows is an ideal business because of the fact you can do it alone and build up a customer base off your own back.

Yeah its entirely possible loads of people work alone, as do i if my brother is unwell. On the occasion i’ll drop him off on a pressure washing job while i do a window cleaning round, but usually its just more convenient to work together and youve got the extra pair of hands for lifting, footing, etc etc. you can afford to have a bacon bagel/little break without constantly worrying about the clock as the other is still working. Having someone to pass you items (hoses, drain rods, cordless drills, help move gutter vac about, untangling leads, assistance pulling downpipes off walls and footing ladders on dodgey ground etc, really makes those jobs easier rather than constantly coming up & down the ladder.

Even wfp guys wont clean some windows that are fitted in ridiculous places. Just let the customer know.

Iron Giant
Posted (edited)

I have worked on my own for over 18 years now, first 10 years or so trad then wfp, Some lads just can't work on their own, I enjoy my own company and thoughts.

County Durham Lad

Edited by Iron Giant

JM WINDOW CLEANING
26 minutes ago, Iron Giant said:

I have worked on my own for over 18 years now first 10 years or so trad then wfp, Something lads just can't work on their own and enjoy my own company and thoughts.

County Durham Lad

Are you happy with what you earn ? Did you build up your round yourself or buy it or a bit of both ?

Iron Giant
Posted (edited)

Built it all, almost 100% refined compact rounds and earning  well

County Durham Lad

Edited by Iron Giant
spelling

Dave Shaw

I’ve done a small stint on my own but mostly as a pair, as an employee, a business partner and now with an employee. If your cleaning traditionally then working as a pair is better for safety aspects as someone else has mentioned but overall I’d say it’s down to personal preference. I found it gets boring on your own. You can’t beat a bit of workplace banter to get you through the day.