Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Tree sap on awning

i find awnings are best to tfr them let it soak in then wfp them with piping how water with a flocked brush some need a more agresseve clean in this case ill take the awning home and pressure wash it if its canvis and realy dirty a biocide will keep it cleaner for longer and kill the organic growth so price accordinglyĀ 

Are you trying to p!ss us off posting pictures like thisĀ ? 8 degrees and raining hereĀ ? I think @tench0771and @Pjjhave some experience of cleaning awnings. Where they are based it's probably seagullĀ  :1f4a9: rather than tree sap though

We do one for a large hotel on the coast itā€™s made like ships sails does look quite stunning I didnā€™t take any pictures of it unfortunately but when Ime passing will try and take some if I remember ,Ā and surprisingly itā€™s green as grass every spring we softwash it as you cannot get any pressure with wfp on it comes up like new , yes @Part TimerĀ gets lots of seagull ??????as well????, and some tree sap as the hotel does have large trees overhanging the entrance wayĀ 

Anybody have experience removing tree sap from awnings? My problem is specifically palm tree sap. I've used a degreaser but it hasn't completely removed all the stains. Any advice or suggestions. View attachment 14946View attachment 14947View attachment 14948

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Yes you need to softwash it it will come up like new , I always used to say no to jobs like this untill I was introduced to softwashing as I did a few and wasnā€™t happy with the results ,a degreasing chemical will not work on things like this you need to kill the algy , mould and mildew this is what tree sap turns into when it sticks to an awning hope this helpsĀ 

I've been window cleaning for myself about 2 months. I bought the round and the guy who had it before did awnings as an add-on and I've sort of inherited it. So far they have been pretty straight forward, until now. So please excuse my ignorance but "softwash"? As far as I could see there is no mould or algy. It's just a black gunge. I'm far from an expert so I'm not arguing with you just explaining what I perceive. I really do appreciate your help with this@Pjj
@tench0771 unfortunately I'm not set up for hot wfp (glass is already pretty hot [emoji16]) and taking the awning is not feasible.

I've been window cleaning for myself about 2 months. I bought the round and the guy who had it before did awnings as an add-on and I've sort of inherited it. So far they have been pretty straight forward, until now. So please excuse my ignorance but "softwash"? As far as I could see there is no mould or algy. It's just a black gunge. I'm far from an expert so I'm not arguing with you just explaining what I perceive. I really do appreciate your help with this@Pjj
@tench0771 unfortunately I'm not set up for hot wfp (glass is already pretty hot
emoji16.png
) and taking the awning is not feasible.

Ā 

The picture you have put up looks like black mould to me itā€™s common on awnings especially if they are wound in wet they grow mould , the best way to clean it is kill the mould by softwashing, softwashing is a sodium hypochlorite mix ( bleach) , but to be fair you do need to know what you are doing as you can harm yourself and the the product if you use to strong a mix look on YouTube there are a lot of videos on there also google it and do some reasearch and try a test patch on an area thatā€™s not easily seen if you canĀ 

Back