Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

New Brush Advice

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I want to order a new brush. I originally started with the Ultimate brush - Medium Bristles. After a few months I invested in a flocked sill brush which I used for conny roof and gutter cleans, it wasn't ideal because of the weight to be honest, I also found all of the bristles clumped together. I then bought The Super-Lite compact brush with flocked bristles which I find is much better for gutters and fascias. I got fan jets on this one, the previous two had pencil jets. I use this one for pretty much any PVC cleaning and conny roof cleaning now. I only crack out the sill brush if I need the long bristles to slide into gaps etc. The latest I bought was the ultimate with medium soft bristles, I used it for about a month before I went back to my original Ultimate with medium bristles....

I am looking to get a brush that can get into corners easier but I don't really want to go for another sill brush because of the weight, is there an alternative. While we're on the subject if anyone can recommend one that would be better than my super-lite compact flocked one for PVC and conny's I would be happy to give something else a go.

Get ready for 40 or more different answers!!!! I personally use the Gardiner universal brush for FSG and Conny Cleaning - the edge bristles and general length of the stock bristles get in all the books and crannies you could expect. As my main window cleaning brush I still have the phantom DuPont brush on, to be honest it’s a bit of a brick so was going to order the Gardiner version next time I need something else, I just hope the bristles are as long on the Gardiner one as they are perfect on the phantom - not used it with hot water yet as my LPG heater has self destructed (another story for another day!!) so cant comment on the DuPont used with hot.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Get ready for 40 or more different answers!!!! I personally use the Gardiner universal brush for FSG and Conny Cleaning - the edge bristles and general length of the stock bristles get in all the books and crannies you could expect. As my main window cleaning brush I still have the phantom DuPont brush on, to be honest it’s a bit of a brick so was going to order the Gardiner version next time I need something else, I just hope the bristles are as long on the Gardiner one as they are perfect on the phantom - not used it with hot water yet as my LPG heater has self destructed (another story for another day!!) so cant comment on the DuPont used with hot.
I can pick out the bits I need haha. That was one the options I am considering, the problem is its actually heavier than my current flocked sill brush. I know you can get them in stiff and medium soft etc. I think the biggest part of the problem with my Sill brush was it being flocked, I assume thats why all of the bristles clump together ? It just seems pointless having bought the SLX for the reduced weight only to go and whack a heavy sill brush on it

I use the Super-Lite® Brush - 0° Splay - Flocked Bristles from gardiner, because it doesn't splay its good for getting into corners, great on leaded glass.

I found brushes that splay ( I've recently bought the Super-Lite® Brush - Medium Mixed Bristles, used it for a month as everyone seems to think it's one of the best all round brushes) are a bit messy.

The Super-Lite® Brush - 0° Splay - Flocked Bristles is the one I always go back too.

I can pick out the bits I need haha. That was one the options I am considering, the problem is its actually heavier than my current flocked sill brush. I know you can get them in stiff and medium soft etc. I think the biggest part of the problem with my Sill brush was it being flocked, I assume thats why all of the bristles clump together ? It just seems pointless having bought the SLX for the reduced weight only to go and whack a heavy sill brush on it
I find you have to compromise on something- I clean quicker with a universal brush when doing FSG due to the longer bristles and - when used with the swivel - you don’t have to keep adjusting the angle of the brush to be able to get in to the tight spots. I’ve tried using a normal brush and because the bristles aren’t as long and you don’t have the edge brows you have to adjust the angle more often which takes longer and fatigue sets in. Everyone works differently but for me the universal brush - although heavy - smashes through the work quicker than a sill brush or a ‘normal’ brush. I used to use the Vikan hedgehog brush - now that is a brick!!!!

I have a few brushes, it depends what mood I'm in to which I use. Mostly the extreme, around 90% of the time.

I would recommend getting a few different brushes, there is no one size fits all.

I have a box next to my reels with 8 different brushes in, I know which one to use where and just pop it on before I start.

I use the Super-Lite® Brush - 0° Splay - Flocked Bristles from gardiner, because it doesn't splay its good for getting into corners, great on leaded glass.

I found brushes that splay ( I've recently bought the Super-Lite® Brush - Medium Mixed Bristles, used it for a month as everyone seems to think it's one of the best all round brushes) are a bit messy.

The Super-Lite® Brush - 0° Splay - Flocked Bristles is the one I always go back too.
Never used one but that 0° brush looks like an acquired taste. Would be good for some sash windows I do though.

I find you have to compromise on something- I clean quicker with a universal brush when doing FSG due to the longer bristles and - when used with the swivel - you don’t have to keep adjusting the angle of the brush to be able to get in to the tight spots. I’ve tried using a normal brush and because the bristles aren’t as long and you don’t have the edge brows you have to adjust the angle more often which takes longer and fatigue sets in. Everyone works differently but for me the universal brush - although heavy - smashes through the work quicker than a sill brush or a ‘normal’ brush. I used to use the Vikan hedgehog brush - now that is a brick!!!!
I was considering that one for windows though, not so much the FSG. I like how its shaped to get into corners etc. It was really a toss up between that and a Dupont Hybrid effort.

I have a few brushes, it depends what mood I'm in to which I use. Mostly the extreme, around 90% of the time.

I would recommend getting a few different brushes, there is no one size fits all.

I have a box next to my reels with 8 different brushes in, I know which one to use where and just pop it on before I start.
I knew our resident brush collector wouldn't be able to recommend just one ?

Never used one but that 0° brush looks like an acquired taste. Would be good for some sash windows I do though.

I was considering that one for windows though, not so much the FSG. I like how its shaped to get into corners etc. It was really a toss up between that and a Dupont Hybrid effort.

I knew our resident brush collector wouldn't be able to recommend just one ?
I can't even make my own mind up mate.

I've just been eyeing this up, its 200g with what sounds like good scrubbing power, really like the look of it. Only thing puts me off is the last x line brush I bought I never used.

I may just have a punt at it, anyone tried one?

Can see this one has a rinse bar, wouldn't go for one of them though.

https://www.xline-systems.co.uk/en/xline-shop-2/water-fed-brushes/dupont-brushes/stiff-bristle-premium-rectangular-26cm-brush-detail

Stiff-Bristle-rectangular-Xline-Brush-web.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If you like the sill brush but not the weight, why don’t you hold fire for a while.

Gardiners are bringing out an extreme sill brush soon.

I will be ordering 3 for all of my poles. Love sill brushes personally 

If you like the sill brush but not the weight, why don’t you hold fire for a while.

Gardiners are bringing out an extreme sill brush soon.

I will be ordering 3 for all of my poles. Love sill brushes personally 

We have sill brushes in every style from Gardiners.  I personally don't understand (and don't actually want an explanation) as to how any one gets along without sill brushes.  Sill brushes are great for windows with sills and work on windows without sills. 

But like most things brush choice is personal.  

We have sill brushes in every style from Gardiners.  I personally don't understand (and don't actually want an explanation) as to how any one gets along without sill brushes.  Sill brushes are great for windows with sills and work on windows without sills. 
I’ve been saying that for years. It’s almost impossible to clean right into the corners on some of the wider upper sills with a normal rectangle brush unless your stood about 20 foot out from the building which is unlikely. You probs can’t see this as I’m probs still blocked[emoji6] but something we actually agree on[emoji106]

I have a sill brush, flocked one. The bristles clump together. I used to use it for first cleans I just don't like the weight of it.

My son loves the 45cm flocked brush, Gardiners have stopped selling them, uses it all day. 
I have one of those. Only ever used it once, on that cladding job the other week. I had four jets on it, they kept getting caught on things. The 2 end jets snapped so I looped them back on themselves i just ran with 2 for the second half of the job. At the very end another one went and I had to switch to a small brush! It's a good brush but blooming heavy fully extended!

Back