Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

The Round

Not if you're average is £5 and you have a £1k month mortgage. It very much depends on your personal circumstances, living at home with your parents and averaging £20 then 100 would be enough. 

I played around with figures when I was first starting out and decided what I was going to charge then after a while worked out how many I could comfortably clean in a day and multipled the two to work out what my daily would roughly be. Then you’ll have a better idea of what you can earn when fully booked. There will be bumps and hiccups along the way but if you are determined you’ll get there. Pen, paper and calculator was my best friend in this process, it kept me motivated while dealing with the rejection that comes with starting a round from scratch.

I played around with figures when I was first starting out and decided what I was going to charge then after a while worked out how many I could comfortably clean in a day and multipled the two to work out what my daily would roughly be. Then you’ll have a better idea of what you can earn when fully booked. There will be bumps and hiccups along the way but if you are determined you’ll get there. Pen, paper and calculator was my best friend in this process, it kept me motivated while dealing with the rejection that comes with starting a round from scratch.
Yeah I guess it's a bit of a difficult question to really answer... everyone is different..I maybe thought people who say they've got 80 or 150 or 200 ..I know to balance my books completely around 220 paying £8 upwards and I'm dependant. For now I'm looking at the extra income as a way to plummet into a bit of finance outstanding and that will even up the playing field

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I’ve had this debate with myself for the last 8 years now. My boss knows about my windows (I actually do his) . He let me cut down a day to help me continue to do both jobs. I am trying to convince him now to give me another. I’d love to be able to go full time with the windows but with the mortgage being so high in too scared. And I fecking hate my other job!

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

depends. 

in my previous job i was earning £1100 take home.

I had a part time job until i got to around 100 customers then went full time but i was also doing a couple of hundred aweek valetinn cars

I’ve had this debate with myself for the last 8 years now. My boss knows about my windows (I actually do his) . He let me cut down a day to help me continue to do both jobs. I am trying to convince him now to give me another. I’d love to be able to go full time with the windows but with the mortgage being so high in too scared. And I fecking hate my other job!

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums
Feel for you... nothing worse than doing something we don't like...

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

No matter the number on the books, it,s just paper numbers until you clean them!!!!! you can say you have say 200 on the books averaging £8, so £1600 per month, so say you earn £80 a day for 5 day week. this month you lose 1 day a week to weather etc and do not catch up due to short days, your £1600 on paper monthly earnings are are more like £1300.

This is the thing being  a self employed windie, you do not clock on at the factory, or turn up at the office and start getting a hourly rate whether or not you are productive.You have to actually do the panes for the gains.

We all start out with rose tinted glasses about the window cleaning  life, but there are hurdles daily and at the end a lot is about what you earn per day/month that decides whether you carry on as a windie. Numbers of customers are just numbers, a lot of them when you start you get because no one wants them because of access issues etc.

Hope this is not a dampener, just a bit of reality.

No matter the number on the books, it,s just paper numbers until you clean them!!!!! you can say you have say 200 on the books averaging £8, so £1600 per month, so say you earn £80 a day for 5 day week. this month you lose 1 day a week to weather etc and do not catch up due to short days, your £1600 on paper monthly earnings are are more like £1300.
This is the thing being  a self employed windie, you do not clock on at the factory, or turn up at the office and start getting a hourly rate whether or not you are productive.You have to actually do the panes for the gains.
We all start out with rose tinted glasses about the window cleaning  life, but there are hurdles daily and at the end a lot is about what you earn per day/month that decides whether you carry on as a windie. Numbers of customers are just numbers, a lot of them when you start you get because no one wants them because of access issues etc.
Hope this is not a dampener, just a bit of reality.
No I think you've pointed out very real and valid points. I understand there's going to be down days and ,'yes, it's getting bums on seats to pay the bills' Challenges ahead I totally understand. Thanks for your input. Appreciate

Pleasure, being a windie in the Summer is different to being one this time of year....one reason when you knock and find out the customer says"had a chap and he just stopped coming" alot.

Pleasure, being a windie in the Summer is different to being one this time of year....one reason when you knock and find out the customer says"had a chap and he just stopped coming" alot.
Yeah hard n harsh reality I guess..each to their own tho...I'm passionate about this...I'm a runner and not adversed to weather.. admit you probably can't clean in heavy rain..but as long as I get something somewhere and steady flow, the bills will come down and hopefully by spring a jump off shifts

That’s true but it’s becoming apparent with a lot of customers why he “just stopped coming” and it’s because they cancel if there are more than 4 clouds in the sky. Don’t get me wrong I haven’t cleaned any windows since last Thursday with the wind and rain we’ve had. Weather forecast was good for today but I’m currently sat in a car park watching my van get battered with rain! It would be easy for any windy to say sod it at this point but it’s often the case that the customer try’s to dictate to them too.

On the plus side even in an afternoon I can normally earn what most do in a day!

That’s true but it’s becoming apparent with a lot of customers why he “just stopped coming” and it’s because they cancel if there are more than 4 clouds in the sky. Don’t get me wrong I haven’t cleaned any windows since last Thursday with the wind and rain we’ve had. Weather forecast was good for today but I’m currently sat in a car park watching my van get battered with rain! It would be easy for any windy to say sod it at this point but it’s often the case that the customer try’s to dictate to them too.

On the plus side even in an afternoon I can normally earn what most do in a day!

I had a client like that, he must have wondered why I stopped cleaning his windows despite cleaning most of the houses in his street, I assumed he worked it out for himself [emoji23]

County Durham Lad

We were lucky & escaped most of the weather, most of wales took a right hammering but we just had the odd bit of flooding in lower parts of the city. You have to treat foul weather as a blessing in itself...in small doses...wind blows **** on to the windows, rain makes people notice the gutters need seeing to, you lose short term to gain long term.

But its a bit different when storms roll in one after the other, week on week, as we have had in the past. And when its sub-zero for a few weeks with snow on the ground its easy to get agitated and worry about the bills then

Latest Posts

Back