Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What size wheelie bin

Carts69

Hi all, just wondering what size wheelie bin I need to keep a 21 litre washer going, I see many sizes available 140 litre, 240 litre etc, I’m looking for the smallest practical one as room in the van is limited, let’s base it on good pressure feeding the bin?

Either mate but keep an eye on which ever one you pick to make sure the flow rate is enough for continuous use. I always start pressure washing close to where my bin is placed to keep an eye on the tap flow rate. If its terrible I reduce revs or pressure wash for 5 min, stop sweep/bag, wait for it to refill and restart...

Either mate but keep an eye on which ever one you pick to make sure the flow rate is enough for continuous use. I always start pressure washing close to where my bin is placed to keep an eye on the tap flow rate. If its terrible I reduce revs or pressure wash for 5 min, stop sweep/bag, wait for it to refill and restart...
Thank you buddy, good pointer there 

I thought we all use the 240l one that you get from the council. Handy for keeping things in when its in your van. Pick them up for free from the council if you say you are recycling a lot of stuff, the colour doesn't matter unless you are working in a religious area.

We use the 240 ltr and let it fill before starting this helps in areas of low water pressure, also as you said when it’s in the van you can hug hoses or lances in it to save space 

I thought we all use the 240l one that you get from the council. Handy for keeping things in when its in your van. Pick them up for free from the council if you say you are recycling a lot of stuff, the colour doesn't matter unless you are working in a religious area.
Didn’t think of that ? 240 it’s is then, cheers 

This is what I'm struggling with.... A 21 lpm machine is using 1260 lph and even during the summer getting 8 lpm (480lph)from tap can be a struggle.... There must either be alot of time off the trigger or alot of machines running at lower throttle rate...but I have never run a large machine so struggling with this math side of it.

Just as a thought would fitting to a house tap with one of those 2 outlet adapters to fit 2 feed hoses give more or double the amount of water? Or can one tap only allow a certain amount of water/flow?

Last edited by a moderator:
This is what I'm struggling with.... A 21 lpm machine is using 1260 lph and even during the summer getting 8 lpm (480lph)from tap can be a struggle.... There must either be alot of time off the trigger or alot of machines running at lower throttle rate...but I have never run a large machine so struggling with this math side of it.

Just as a thought would fitting to a house tap with one of those 2 outlet adapters to fit 2 feed hoses give more or double the amount of water? Or can one tap only allow a certain amount of water/flow?
I wouldnt like to do that because you cant see how much water is in a tank. It's an industrial machine your contemplating using.

Most people use a 240 litre wheelie bin. Fill it and then work, then keep an eye on it.

For example if the water flow is weak once the bin only has a third left inside get off the trigger, do something else I.e. sweep, tidy up ect. While the bin refills. 

Sometimes that is all you can do or see if the flow of water is stronger from an internal house tap. If you have the correct fittings take it from inside if the customer will let you. 

I do run a 650 litre tank in the van.... I was still confused how to run 21lpm/1260lph machine during a good work day? It's just the math doesn't seem to work.

Lets say you have a 240l wheelie bin and 8lpm feed from the house tap and your machine is sucking and blowing 21lpm.... The machine is 21lpm and getting 8 from house and the additional 13 from the wheelie bin....if this occurs you'll get about 18.5 minutes at this stage the wheelie.bin is empty and you are only able to feed 8lpm.... Can you see how I'm confused? (PS my maths isn't all that).

All I can think is that during a 60 min period there must be alot of non cleaning time which will have a paid member of staff or owner spending alot of time being unproductive

..Me thinks the next van will have a 650 upright and a additional 650 flat tank.

Last edited by a moderator:
We use a 240 ltr bin and just wait for it to fill up if you run out just spend the time moving stuff out of the way or getting ready for the next bit of work , on rare occasion s we join to bins together 

Latest Posts

Back