Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Hot water system

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Kleenwell

Hi guys.  

Thought I would inform Thoses of you who would like a diesel fired hot water system, that it can be done for less than £200!

i am in the process of setting up a boiler and once it’s up and running, I will upload pics of the setup and how I did it for the keen diy’ers who would like to give it a try ??

image.jpg

I now have my system up and running.  Still mounted to the test rig as I’m still using my car and not a van.   But I have used it a few times on jobs now.  And I’m chuffed to bits with it 6FF8232F-AF09-43CF-88D4-2F2F8992FDB7.jpeg

Yep. Still working a dream.   Constant heat, no failed starts.    Love it.   

That's a very small heat exchanger you are using.

The advice I got years ago was that a small 22kw 10 plate heat exchanger was more than adequate but when you look at the commercially made units they are massive in comparision.

I did buy a 10 plate. I tested it out with hot water from the header tank at home through one side and pumped water from the van through the other side. It was crude as setup but it worked. I didn't take any temperature figures but the water was warm coming out of the brush head. The wife kicked off about all the hot water I had wasted. ?

When I put that test rig together with 3 heat exchangers and the Webasto Thermo Top C, I opted to buy much larger heat exchangers to copy what the commercial suppliers fit as I thought they must have a reason for fitting bigger units.

how did you manage to spend less than £200?
Second hand parts and shopping around 

That's a very small heat exchanger you are using.

The advice I got years ago was that a small 22kw 10 plate heat exchanger was more than adequate but when you look at the commercially made units they are massive in comparision.

I did buy a 10 plate. I tested it out with hot water from the header tank at home through one side and pumped water from the van through the other side. It was crude as setup but it worked. I didn't take any temperature figures but the water was warm coming out of the brush head. The wife kicked off about all the hot water I had wasted. ?

When I put that test rig together with 3 heat exchangers and the Webasto Thermo Top C, I opted to buy much larger heat exchangers to copy what the commercial suppliers fit as I thought they must have a reason for fitting bigger units.

I chose that 15 plate unit as it was the same size that we fitted in a mates boat to his engine to give hot water at the tap.  Geese did it give hot water . 

I have found i can have 40 degrees at the brush at a pump controller setting of 40 and not loose too much heat in the boiler.   Some might want hotter. But 40 is good for me.     You say you were recommended a 22kw exchanger,   That’s what mine is. 

fair play to you mate...just shows you what can be done if your a good diyer and shop around...i wouldnt have a hope in hell of building one myself.....i dont have the inclination either......

fair play to you mate...just shows you what can be done if your a good diyer and shop around...i wouldnt have a hope in hell of building one myself.....i dont have the inclination either......
I would say the most complex thing would be the wiring.   But for me, electrics are like breathing.       I did get slated for having it mounted on wood and strapped in a car. But I don’t care.    I use my car as I don’t have a van yet (spring time maybe).  

I have measured temperatures everywhere.  Nothing gets too hot.  All wood surfaces never reach any more than 35 degrees.  So no chance of fire or scorching 

Back