Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

water fed pole equipment

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Depends what you need?... Equipment to make the water as well? A van system:/tank? 

Also what is your budget roughly?

First if I were you buy a TDS water metre (about £10) measure the TDS reading from your tap water, and let us know.

How will you be working? Tank from a van with a long hose? (Easier. More expensive)

Or a mobile backpack with a few containers of water from a car? (Harder work. A lot cheaper)

You can start by looking at a pole. You’ll need minimum 18ft but ideally 22ft pole.

They vary in price BUT ALSO QUALITY.

•Gardiner Pole Systems 

•Brodex

•Pure freedom 

•Ionics

•X Line

•Unger

(I’ve probably missed some out, but the above they all sell poles. My preference is Gardiner Pole systems) @Alex Gardiner Is on here if you have any questions, or email them. 

I would prefer to go with a tank and hose, I would also have to invest in a van. I have so many questions, I don,t know where to start.......?

Grippatank are very very good with systems google them and give them a ring try and speak to Oliver he is very good and would give you various options on what you need without the hard sell. Gardiner pole systems are very good for all poles ,hoses ,brushes and most of the other things you would need , again give them a ring . Any other questions just ask on hear , but as has already been said get a tds meter and cheak what reading you are getting from your tap water 

Have you cleaned windows before traditionally @erain? Your profile says you are thinking about window cleaning so possibily no is the answer.

If you haven't cleaned windows before then investing in a complete system to start really takes courage as all the equipment including a van can be a big outlay. Then you have to look at getting a customer base.

Perhaps the best place to start is to try to find someone who is willing to let you work along with them to get an idea of what cleaning windows with a pole is all about.

We were fortunate as my son knew a window cleaner and that cleaner showed him how to clean windows traditionally. He then gave my son a small round that was surplus to his requirements that would take him 3 Saturdays a month as my son was working full time then in a warehouse. My son then showed me the ropes when I lost my job in the motor trade. We grew the business from there. Then my son bought a round which consisted of mainly dormer houses so we were 'forced' to go wfp.

I have started to think along those lines, I think my eyes are opening up a bit as to what is involved.

It's really helpful to hear from people like yourself, so I am not jumping in blind.

Thanks for your advice.

I know I'm probably treading on thin ice here @erain ? presuming by your profile that you are a lady. If that's correct then we have a number of successful ladies cleaning windows. @Beccy comes to mind and she's in Scotland. She comes on here from time to time. She started off with a bicycle and trailer as her mode of transport. In the early days her young son also used to come out with her and sit on the trailer as well when she couldn't find a sitter for him. If memory serves me she had a 22' pole.

Now from my own personal experience, my wife didn't have the upper body strength to use a 22' pole although she has a lot of body strength. So when she briefly came out with me she did bottom windows with a short pole and I did all the tops. We passed some work onto a husband and wife team a few years ago. She struggled with using an 18' SLX. In recent times I've seen him around in his van on his own without her although they are still together as a couple. This applies to some blokes I've also seen trying to clean windows.

We live on Teesside and apart from the couple I mention I don't know of any other lady window cleaners using wfp in our area. Its not a profession that is friendly to women for all sorts of logistical reasons.

Over the years we have come across numerous traditional window cleaning couples. I was talking to a husband and wife team last night. They have a big round and only do trad. She also has her own ladder.

If you are on your own then I would also be a little concerned from a safety point of view. I'm a South African so I tend to be overly sensitive when it comes to personal safety, especially with a woman on her own. There are some weirdos around, even in a supposedly 1st world country like the UK.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know of two women who Wfp with their husbands, both of them said it’s hard at first, but you get used to it.

But yes, male or female, a strong or not so strong person, if you can do a couple of days with someone just too see what it’s like helps.

If that’s not possible, you could buy a 22 Clx Gardiner Pole, and a Gardiner Back (combined £300ish) then you’ll have what you need to practice on your own & close friends or possible near by family home. 

Is there anyone near you who sells Purified water?

If your PPM tap water reading is fairly low (below 120 maybe) then buying a D.I vessel & resin isn’t too expensive to set up. But easier to buy the water locally just to see what you make of window cleaning first. But up to you 

Hi Erain and thanks Spruce for tagging me and getting me back on here!!  Been so busy I haven't been on in ages ?

You've had some really good advice Erain.  With regards to the strength issue, of course it's true that as a general rule men are stronger, but it's a sliding scale and only you will know whereabouts you are on that scale.  I work 6 days a week and regularly clean high stuff with my SLX-30 extended to it's maximum (lots of big tall Georgian townhouses where I work) and I also do a couple of hotels that require the big yellow beast of a pole (can't remember it's real name haha) I pay someone to help me with that as I'm not tall enough to extend it myself, but once it's up to height I can handle it perfectly well. 

One thing I do do though, which may be different to how the guys operate.... as soon as I've done the top floors, I always switch to a lighter pole at the first opportunity.  This has two benefits... I get a break from the extra weight, but even more important for me is my hands are more comfortable with the smaller grip size that you get with a shorter pole.  My hands are the part of me that struggles the most.  

Good luck with it all, and shout if you need any more info ?

Hi Erain and thanks Spruce for tagging me and getting me back on here!!  Been so busy I haven't been on in ages ?

You've had some really good advice Erain.  With regards to the strength issue, of course it's true that as a general rule men are stronger, but it's a sliding scale and only you will know whereabouts you are on that scale.  I work 6 days a week and regularly clean high stuff with my SLX-30 extended to it's maximum (lots of big tall Georgian townhouses where I work) and I also do a couple of hotels that require the big yellow beast of a pole (can't remember it's real name haha) I pay someone to help me with that as I'm not tall enough to extend it myself, but once it's up to height I can handle it perfectly well. 

One thing I do do though, which may be different to how the guys operate.... as soon as I've done the top floors, I always switch to a lighter pole at the first opportunity.  This has two benefits... I get a break from the extra weight, but even more important for me is my hands are more comfortable with the smaller grip size that you get with a shorter pole.  My hands are the part of me that struggles the most.  

Hi @Beccy. We've missed you. Its great to hear from you and also good to hear that you are doing well.? Time goes by so quickly; your youngster is probably in high school now. ?  With regard to pole changes for lower heights; yes I also do that. The diameter of the base of my 40' SLX pole is also uncomfortable for my hands so go back to my SLX22 as soon as I can. I also notice the weight difference. Using the SLX40 makes me appreciate my SLX22.

There were a couple of ladies cleaning windows together in the more southern regions. They had a fully equiped wfp trailer which they towed with an old Landrover. They also disappeared from the forum they posted on. I seem to remember the last we heard from them they were wanting to go to a van mount.

The van mount makes a big difference to me too. Obviously the bike was really hard work, but it was also how I really got my name in town as it made me really visible. The car trailer which came next was a really good step as it could carry far more water but it was hard lugging it out of the garden in the mornings when it was full. The van is wonderful in every way! And carries enough water for 2 of is to work a day together which is great at the round just continues to grow :)

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Thank you, Beccy. My budget is too small for me to be able to buy a van.

I am wondering if you know of a way to use the pole system, but running it from the car somehow?

I am wondering if you know of a way to use the pole system, but running it from the car somehow?

Lots of people operate their WFP system using their cars. Look into getting a backpack from companies like Gardiners. You use the backpack as a portable 'tank' to clean the windows. Many people use a backpack on a trolley system so maybe look into doing that. However you're still gonna need a way to produce your pure water to then store in barrels to then use with the backpack. I would say you won't need more than 8 barrels if you're just starting out. That's if you can't buy pure water near where you live btw.

Can I ask, do you already have some customers or are you starting from scratch? Also, have you ever cleaned windows professionally before?

Yeh a majority of people I know, including myself, started by using a Gardiner back pack. Quite heavy to lift around (approx 25kgs full)

but a back pack, 22ft pole, 7 or 8 25litre barrels, traditional window cleaning gear for inside windows & a small fold up ladder will get you going no problem and shouldn’t cost more than £400 (and all that equipment used to fit in the back of my old Peugeot 206)

Is there anywhere near you that sells purified water for window cleaning ? @erain

2 local lads use trolleys with 25 liter plastic containers filled with water. Both have about 15 x 25 liter containers which they fill and transport them in a trailer hooked to the back of their family car.

Here is a system from PureFreedom which includes a r/o system for filtering water.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PURE-WATER-FED-POLE-TROLLEY-WINDOW-CLEANING-SYSTEM/260965038342?epid=1888186566&hash=item3cc2ba7906:g:jUcAAMXQoiJRgQyY:rk:20:pf:0

I don't like the pole though and would recommend a Gardiner CLX22 or a stiffer SLX22.

Many have been able to procure 25l plastic containers from car washes who are only too please to get rid of them. They will just need to be cleaned out.

The PF system is top of the range but there are cheaper alternatives available off Ebay.

Here's an example;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WINDOW-CLEANING-TROLLEY-SYSTEM-4LPM-100PSI-12AH-HI-SPEC-LUCAS-POWERED-SYSTEM/113323285058?hash=item1a62981a42:g:ATAAAOSwtBZbzRa~:rk:21:pf:0

You would need the buy an r/o system and a pole.

We would generally process water into some storage tank such as a recycled 1000 liter IBC tank. 600 liter versions are also available but they are much more expensive. You will also need a submersible pump and a length of transfer hose to transfer water from storage to 25 liter containers.

If you are going to use a car them you need a trolley that will fold down.

In all due honesty, The Gardiner backpack on a sack truck is also a cheaper alternative. My son prefers to use the backpack and a charge lasts all day. But its too heavy for me to lug around.

Of course you will need a tds meter and a di vessel filled with resin to polish off the remaining particles in the pure water that were too small for the membrane in the r/o to remove.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I don't want to sound rude or sexist, I'm probably being both, but to hump backpacks and 25 litre drums in and out of a car is very hard work. Put on top of this the walking and pushing a pole up and down all day might be a bit much. Unless you can get a system where you can transfer the water out of drums in to the backpack then a tank is the only feasible option in my sexist opinion.

I don't want to sound rude or sexist, I'm probably being both, but to hump backpacks and 25 litre drums in and out of a car is very hard work. Put on top of this the walking and pushing a pole up and down all day might be a bit much. Unless you can get a system where you can transfer the water out of drums in to the backpack then a tank is the only feasible option in my sexist opinion.
Sexist lol, Old timer does have a point lugging 25kg barrels isn't easy going ?another suggestion is to get a pumpbox and hosereel that way you can empty each barrel with ever lifting them that what My son does. 

Can you not find someone local to you to help out, who would be willing to show you the kit needed?

like most jobs its hard work and often dull ?

Back