Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

TAX....BOO. THE BORING BIT

OK. I've started up my window cleaning and i'm now earning. The horrible bit of telling HMRC is done and now it comes down to expenses and earnings. The majority is simple, but from what Ive heard, your SET UP FEES can only be used for up to 3 years. Am I right. I have a van on HP over 5 years so I am telling myself for SELF ASSESSMENT that the value (expense ) of the van is £6354 divided by 3 = £2118 and the interest (expense) is £2041 divide by 3 = £680

Am I on the right track everyone, or am I miles off...……..

You don't need to do a return for a year, I'd wait until you know where you're at at the end of March and then have a word with an Accountant. Years since I set up but I think you can continue to claim for your van until the contract is up. 

Nahh, claiming for a van doesn’t work like that. Counted as an asset. Get some advice from an accountant for sure.

Your tax year is from the date you went self-employed so 19th October 2018 to 18th October 2019, as for the van as you won't be doing many miles then you simply put through each monthly payment as an expense each month as this would be a more beneficial way to reduce your tax liability as you're a fledgling business, but as a above speak to an accountant or HMRC to be 100% certain   

Your tax year is from the date you went self-employed so 19th October 2018 to 18th October 2019, as for the van as you won't be doing many miles then you simply put through each monthly payment as an expense each month as this would be a more beneficial way to reduce your tax liability as you're a fledgling business, but as a above speak to an accountant or HMRC to be 100% certain   
Great advice thankyou..I have thought of this method also like you suggest but as my direct debits each month add to just £162, I'll hit that quite easily and be tax liable quite quickly on the rest... accountant next step me think too..[emoji16] thanks again

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Great advice thankyou..I have thought of this method also like you suggest but as my direct debits each month add to just £162, I'll hit that quite easily and be tax liable quite quickly on the rest... accountant next step me think too..
emoji16.png
thanks again

As you are also in paid employment which I just realised I would definitely speak to an accountant to be fully aware of the tax implications based on your own situation

You can choose weather to do it like that or you can fall in line with the regular tax year so from Oct 19th - 5th April. It also depends on which method you choose to do your accounting. If you choose traditional accounting you will probs claim for your van as a capital allowance and if you use cash basis you can use the simplified expenses scheme. Like others have said if your not sure then best to speak to an accountant.

Unless he's a Limited company his tax year ends April 6th 

? , If he is limited he should have defo spoke to an accountant as it's not as beneficial as it used to be and my accountant advised me against as it would cost me more in accounting fees and hardly save me any more money in terms of tax liability  

Your tax year can end any time you like within the first 12 months of trading.

With regards to working PAYE somewhere while you're self employed I know what the situation entails as my wife did this in her first year of trading. Your two incomes are combined and make your net income. Your net income is your taxable income and you pay tax as you would if it was all earned in one job, so if you earn less than 11K or whatever the tax free amount is nowadays you pay no tax but you do pay class 2 NI. You pay basic rate tax on a second PAYE job as it is assumed a person with 2 jobs will normally have exceeded the tax threshold in their main job. If they don't exceed the threshold on both jobs they are entitled to a tax rebate.

Your two incomes are combined and make your net income. Your net income is your taxable income and you pay tax as you would if it was all earned in one job, 

Should this not read,

Your two incomes are combined to make your gross income. This is what you are taxed on or submit on your tax return.

Your net income is your take home pay after taxes and deductions. 

Your net income is then what you budget your lifestyle on, household expenses etc, or at least that’s the sensible way.

You will have a tax code for your regular job, you will then have to fill out a self assessment and part of that will include your P60. Usually your regular job will take up your £11k tax allowance. You will therefore pay 20% tax on any profit from your window-cleaning business 

Should this not read,

Your two incomes are combined to make your gross income. This is what you are taxed on or submit on your tax return.

Your net income is your take home pay after taxes and deductions. 

Your net income is then what you budget your lifestyle on, household expenses etc, or at least that’s the sensible way.
Probably. In my head I was thinking the figures after you have taken out the costs of running the window cleaning business.

Just remember....

Jesus lived near the sea. He spent a lot of time fishing, preaching, and ate fish. Mohammad lived on a mountain, farmed goats and married an 8 year old...

And that is the difference between gross profit and net profit.

Becoming Ltd is beneficial for ta reasons once you are earning above £30k per annum. 

Regarding the van (check with accountant) if it's on HP you can claim full whack year one. If it's on lease hire then only the monthly payments.   

Back