Iron Giant

Major MOT fail on my van

Iron Giant

I put my van in 2 weeks early for its mot yesterday really glad I did as it failed on the o/s suspension arm ball joint which was badly worn, could have ended up in an accident would not have been good with 350ltrs of water in the back no warning signs at all, my mate reckons the van could have been clashed up and down kerbs quite a bit previously 

P4dstar

Can't see that would cause damage on that side. Near side is the one you would worry about that with surely? Having said that my wife mounts the kerb each night in the car on that side when she parks.

I thought your van was relatively new? Glad you found it in time to avoid any serious issues mate!

BigFoot

Not looking forward to mine going in, alway a time/ cost in lost revenue etc if something out of the blue comes up.

on the plus side I love the feeling of a newly serviced vehicle.

Iron Giant
Can't see that would cause damage on that side. Near side is the one you would worry about that with surely? Having said that my wife mounts the kerb each night in the car on that side when she parks.

I thought your van was relatively new? Glad you found it in time to avoid any serious issues mate!

64 plate it had 58,688 miles on the clock at the last mot it's got 61,559 on it now, makes me think it should have been picked up previously

County Durham Lad

Dave Shaw

Our vehicles do take some stick don’t they. My intercooler hose split this week so a nice little job for me this morning. Also due a timing belt. Never had one replaced before and was quite shocked when I priced it up.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Iron Giant
Not looking forward to mine going in, alway a time/ cost in lost revenue etc if something out of the blue comes up.
on the plus side I love the feeling of a newly serviced vehicle.
I had a 4 day week this week so no lost revenue

County Durham Lad

P4dstar
30 minutes ago, Iron Giant said:

64 plate it had 58,688 miles on the clock at the last mot it's got 61,559 on it now, makes me think it should have been picked up previously

Have you checked the previous MOT to see if it was an advisory? Just out of interest, don't think it will change anything. If you bought from a garage it would be interesting to see if they had a local garage they used to get a straight pass every time.

Iron Giant
Have you checked the previous MOT to see if it was an advisory? Just out of interest, don't think it will change anything. If you bought from a garage it would be interesting to see if they had a local garage they used to get a straight pass every time.
Going to check later today, as not sure if Van Monster do in house mot's before selling van's on

County Durham Lad

wee man
Going to check later today, as not sure if Van Monster do in house mot's before selling van's on

County Durham Lad

Better watch mate cause over here as soon as your van fails mot it should be of the road till it passes, doesn't matter how long is left on the old mot. I only found this out a few years ago.

THL4KEL
28 minutes ago, wee man said:

Better watch mate cause over here as soon as your van fails mot it should be of the road till it passes, doesn't matter how long is left on the old mot. I only found this out a few years ago.

I think that new rule only came May this year.

Part Timer
1 hour ago, Iron Giant said:

I had a 4 day week this week so no lost revenue

County Durham Lad

But you missed meeting me, priceless 😂

steve garwood

Only had my van just over a year from brand new. Dropped a pole against it last week putting a bloody great scratch down the drivers door!

Cost me £260 to get it sorted 😩

Iron Giant
But you missed meeting me, priceless [emoji23]
I had to cry myself to sleep that night 🤣, I would have like to have met up with you always another time [emoji106][emoji106]

County Durham Lad

Iron Giant
Only had my van just over a year from brand new. Dropped a pole against it last week putting a bloody great scratch down the drivers door!
Cost me £260 to get it sorted [emoji30]
[emoji24] Nothing worse than damaging paintwork more so if you have really looked after it. Thankfully mine wasn't that expensive £196.00 for replacement part and fitting plus interm service and Mot

County Durham Lad

RWCleaning

Sorry to hear that. I’ve never owned a new vehicle. So I always expect to pay out £200-£300 every year. 

THL4KEL

Vans are always a harder buy second hand than cars.. Histories tend to be vague, never looked after well.. Never buy ex van hire companies vans.. If you buy ex lease vans a lot of suppliers demand the vehicle is serviced at an approved garage which might offer a bit more security.

scottish cleaning service

With the increase in leasing means smaller market for second hand vans. Tom second hand vans up here in Glasgow went bust and they have hundreds of ex council vans. I couldn't understand why till I seen the price of a monthly lease new van. If one can lease a new van for £200 a month and don't need to pay for repairs then its a no brainer or am I missing something? :1f644:

THL4KEL
32 minutes ago, scottish cleaning service said:

With the increase in leasing means smaller market for second hand vans. Tom second hand vans up here in Glasgow went bust and they have hundreds of ex council vans. I couldn't understand why till I seen the price of a monthly lease new van. If one can lease a new van for £200 a month and don't need to pay for repairs then its a no brainer or am I missing something? :1f644:

You do have to pay for repairs and servicing (not just at any garage has to be approved) and if you dent it you pay for that as well before you hand it back.

scottish cleaning service

I thought there must be a catch with leasing. I would like a new sprinter van. If I continue to be this busy then it may happen.

Iron Giant
15 hours ago, THL4KEL said:

Vans are always a harder buy second hand than cars.. Histories tend to be vague, never looked after well.. Never buy ex van hire companies vans.. 

Now you tell me 😜 , Buying any second hand van is like rolling a dice, you just never know how it's been treated when I leased my L200 I really looked at after it and when handed it was literally ready to sell as I polished it and treated all the leather inside. With the warranty, van monster provides it never crossed my mind to have it independently checked over after buying it but it's certainly something I would recommend having done to anyone buying a second hand vehicle as the handbrake cable snapped earlier this year and now the mot fail.

@P4dstar no advisories on the previous mot it was tested in Huddersfield and I bought it from van monster in Darlington, For those that don't know Northgate Vehicle Hire and Van Monster are part of the same company Northgate lease the vans and when the lease is up they sell their vans through Van Monster  

P4dstar
14 minutes ago, Iron Giant said:

Now you tell me 😜 , Buying any second hand van is like rolling a dice, you just never know how it's been treated when I leased my L200 I really looked at after it and when handed it was literally ready to sell as I polished it and treated all the leather inside. With the warranty, van monster provides it never crossed my mind to have it independently checked over after buying it but it's certainly something I would recommend having done to anyone buying a second hand vehicle as the handbrake cable snapped earlier this year and now the mot fail.

@P4dstar no advisories on the previous mot it was tested in Huddersfield and I bought it from van monster in Darlington, For those that don't know Northgate Vehicle Hire and Van Monster are part of the same company Northgate lease the vans and when the lease is up they sell their vans through Van Monster  

Thats a strange one mate. You normally get some sort of sign with a fault like that. At least you found it before it became serious.

Iron Giant
4 minutes ago, P4dstar said:

Thats a strange one mate. You normally get some sort of sign with a fault like that. At least you found it before it became serious.

That was the worrying thing that there were none of the usual signs, no vibration or noises when driving it has been as quiet as a mouse since I bought it in January.  

Cghwindowcleaning

Buying brand new doesn't guarantee no problems.I know people that have brand new vans and have no end of problems.

I wouldn't look in to it to much the damage could have been caused by pot holes and speed bumps.

Window cleaning vans tend to be pushed to there limits.A lot of have medium vans  with 5oo litre tanks and ladders maxing out the payload constantly day in day out wear and tear is inevitable.

P4dstar
1 minute ago, Iron Giant said:

That was the worrying thing that there were none of the usual signs, no vibration or noises when driving it has been as quiet as a mouse since I bought it in January.  

🧐

If you had it MOT'd at a place that also does repairs I would get a second opinion mate. I've had an advisory before about a badly worn ball joint on a couple of vehicles in the past and had a tapping sound both times. I don't remember if it was the same joint and I don't know enough about the mechanics of a vehicle to say if there should be a sign to be honest. 

Iron Giant
🧐

If you had it MOT'd at a place that also does repairs I would get a second opinion mate. I've had an advisory before about a badly worn ball joint on a couple of vehicles in the past and had a tapping sound both times. I don't remember if it was the same joint and I don't know enough about the mechanics of a vehicle to say if there should be a sign to be honest. 

It's a garage with a good reputation and a as the replacement part has been fitted, there isn't anything a second opinion would be able to see I wouldn't have thought. Also a mate of mine is an ex mechanic and I have spoke with him about it and he and he was fine with it and said if I had left and waited for a second opinion the worse could have happened.

County Durham Lad