Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Major MOT fail on my van

Iron Giant

Staff member
I put my van in 2 weeks early for its mot yesterday really glad I did as it failed on the o/s suspension arm ball joint which was badly worn, could have ended up in an accident would not have been good with 350ltrs of water in the back no warning signs at all, my mate reckons the van could have been clashed up and down kerbs quite a bit previously 

Can't see that would cause damage on that side. Near side is the one you would worry about that with surely? Having said that my wife mounts the kerb each night in the car on that side when she parks.

I thought your van was relatively new? Glad you found it in time to avoid any serious issues mate!

Not looking forward to mine going in, alway a time/ cost in lost revenue etc if something out of the blue comes up.

on the plus side I love the feeling of a newly serviced vehicle.

Can't see that would cause damage on that side. Near side is the one you would worry about that with surely? Having said that my wife mounts the kerb each night in the car on that side when she parks.
I thought your van was relatively new? Glad you found it in time to avoid any serious issues mate!
64 plate it had 58,688 miles on the clock at the last mot it's got 61,559 on it now, makes me think it should have been picked up previously
County Durham Lad

Not looking forward to mine going in, alway a time/ cost in lost revenue etc if something out of the blue comes up.
on the plus side I love the feeling of a newly serviced vehicle.
I had a 4 day week this week so no lost revenue

County Durham Lad

64 plate it had 58,688 miles on the clock at the last mot it's got 61,559 on it now, makes me think it should have been picked up previously
Have you checked the previous MOT to see if it was an advisory? Just out of interest, don't think it will change anything. If you bought from a garage it would be interesting to see if they had a local garage they used to get a straight pass every time.

Have you checked the previous MOT to see if it was an advisory? Just out of interest, don't think it will change anything. If you bought from a garage it would be interesting to see if they had a local garage they used to get a straight pass every time.
Going to check later today, as not sure if Van Monster do in house mot's before selling van's on

County Durham Lad

Only had my van just over a year from brand new. Dropped a pole against it last week putting a bloody great scratch down the drivers door!

Cost me £260 to get it sorted ?

Only had my van just over a year from brand new. Dropped a pole against it last week putting a bloody great scratch down the drivers door!
Cost me £260 to get it sorted [emoji30]
[emoji24] Nothing worse than damaging paintwork more so if you have really looked after it. Thankfully mine wasn't that expensive £196.00 for replacement part and fitting plus interm service and Mot

County Durham Lad

Vans are always a harder buy second hand than cars.. Histories tend to be vague, never looked after well.. Never buy ex van hire companies vans.. If you buy ex lease vans a lot of suppliers demand the vehicle is serviced at an approved garage which might offer a bit more security.

With the increase in leasing means smaller market for second hand vans. Tom second hand vans up here in Glasgow went bust and they have hundreds of ex council vans. I couldn't understand why till I seen the price of a monthly lease new van. If one can lease a new van for £200 a month and don't need to pay for repairs then its a no brainer or am I missing something? :1f644:

With the increase in leasing means smaller market for second hand vans. Tom second hand vans up here in Glasgow went bust and they have hundreds of ex council vans. I couldn't understand why till I seen the price of a monthly lease new van. If one can lease a new van for £200 a month and don't need to pay for repairs then its a no brainer or am I missing something? :1f644:
You do have to pay for repairs and servicing (not just at any garage has to be approved) and if you dent it you pay for that as well before you hand it back.

Vans are always a harder buy second hand than cars.. Histories tend to be vague, never looked after well.. Never buy ex van hire companies vans.. 

Now you tell me ? , Buying any second hand van is like rolling a dice, you just never know how it's been treated when I leased my L200 I really looked at after it and when handed it was literally ready to sell as I polished it and treated all the leather inside. With the warranty, van monster provides it never crossed my mind to have it independently checked over after buying it but it's certainly something I would recommend having done to anyone buying a second hand vehicle as the handbrake cable snapped earlier this year and now the mot fail.

@P4dstar no advisories on the previous mot it was tested in Huddersfield and I bought it from van monster in Darlington, For those that don't know Northgate Vehicle Hire and Van Monster are part of the same company Northgate lease the vans and when the lease is up they sell their vans through Van Monster  

Now you tell me ? , Buying any second hand van is like rolling a dice, you just never know how it's been treated when I leased my L200 I really looked at after it and when handed it was literally ready to sell as I polished it and treated all the leather inside. With the warranty, van monster provides it never crossed my mind to have it independently checked over after buying it but it's certainly something I would recommend having done to anyone buying a second hand vehicle as the handbrake cable snapped earlier this year and now the mot fail.

@P4dstar no advisories on the previous mot it was tested in Huddersfield and I bought it from van monster in Darlington, For those that don't know Northgate Vehicle Hire and Van Monster are part of the same company Northgate lease the vans and when the lease is up they sell their vans through Van Monster  
Thats a strange one mate. You normally get some sort of sign with a fault like that. At least you found it before it became serious.

Back