Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Protective coverings for metal frames/lead roof porches?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Incheck

Hi guys, only softwashed patios and drives so far. Potentially got two house cleans coming up. I’ve heard that hypo is no good to metal frames or lead roof porches, how do you guys get around this issue? Do you cover them with tarps/tape them up? Any advice appreciated, much thanks in advance!

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Hi depends what type of metal it is and what coating it has on it ie paint ,anodised , plastic coated etc , hypo will turn lead brown , best thing to do is wet the whole area down with the garden hose then apply your hypo mix then wet down the lead again as the hypo is working this will stop it affecting the lead . If it’s more dilicate things like alarm system boxes ,door bells security cameras then mask them up with tape and pplastic and be careful around them with hypo mix , what type of metal are you dealing with ? If it’s plastic coated panels like industrial buildings a weak hypo mix is fine but what ever surface you are cleaning make sure you rinse it down well with copious amounts of water after , you are welcome to give me a ring during working hours if you need any help 07855462204 Paul  

I had a similar situation in the summer, just with lead though. A lead flashing under a render wall, just soaked the led with water, applied Hypo all over the wall, then instantly rinsed the lead again. Was completely fine. 

Hi depends what type of metal it is and what coating it has on it ie paint ,anodised , plastic coated etc , hypo will turn lead brown , best thing to do is wet the whole area down with the garden hose then apply your hypo mix then wet down the lead again as the hypo is working this will stop it affecting the lead . If it’s more dilicate things like alarm system boxes ,door bells security cameras then mask them up with tape and pplastic and be careful around them with hypo mix , what type of metal are you dealing with ? If it’s plastic coated panels like industrial buildings a weak hypo mix is fine but what ever surface you are cleaning make sure you rinse it down well with copious amounts of water after , you are welcome to give me a ring during working hours if you need any help 07855462204 Paul  
Thanks Paul you’re a legend, the frames are the aluminium anthracite grey type. Seem to be becoming very popular. And the porch roof is lead. I’m umming and aahing about the window frames job as the house is enormous and split over multiple levels up to about 40 ft. It’s like a green house there’s so much glass and all the frames are of that type. Would need scaffolding right the way round just to tape all the frames up and that would take a day or two. Leave it to a big company who’s equipped to deal with it i think!
The job with lead i’m not so worried about as it’s just the porch roof to consider pretty much

Thanks Paul you’re a legend, the frames are the aluminium anthracite grey type. Seem to be becoming very popular. And the porch roof is lead. I’m umming and aahing about the window frames job as the house is enormous and split over multiple levels up to about 40 ft. It’s like a green house there’s so much glass and all the frames are of that type. Would need scaffolding right the way round just to tape all the frames up and that would take a day or two. Leave it to a big company who’s equipped to deal with it i think!
The job with lead i’m not so worried about as it’s just the porch roof to consider pretty much

Perhapse a silly question but why do you want to hypo it ?? Would virosol not do the job ? I have used softwashing on alloy windiwframes numerous times with out any issues but wouldn’t want to say it would be ok without seeing the job , why not try a test patch ? As I say give me a ring tomorrow if you want to discuss it 

Perhapse a silly question but why do you want to hypo it ?? Would virosol not do the job ? I have used softwashing on alloy windiwframes numerous times with out any issues but wouldn’t want to say it would be ok without seeing the job , why not try a test patch ? As I say give me a ring tomorrow if you want to discuss it 
Do you know what...i never even gave that a thought. I suppose even de-greaser or ubik might do the trick instead of hypo. worth a try actually. I haven’t taken the jobs on yet, the customers aren’t exactly in a rush to have these things done but they have enquired in the past. It’s all about thinking outside the box as you have made clear. Maybe sometimes hypo just isn’t required [emoji848]

Back