Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

This Weeks Work

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Doddy111

I’m 95% finished and can’t wait to get started.. The vans been insulated, ply lined, sealed and had a coat of that rubber paint.

Just need to connect everything up, wire up the relay, bolt the frame down and then for the hardest bit get some customers.

b582139f586236ffc024e949bc3b4bc7.jpg

c9cf421826eb2a0a969dbb3aea19ae5d.jpg

cba2e68dc49806b399736ba5aa4646f4.jpg

99086a54de263ef4480caaf67fca2b5e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

If anyone could give me a clue as to what type of cable I need to run from the vans battery to the relay it’d be much appreciated I’ve not got a scooby doo when it comes to electrics

A bulkhead would protect you from anything flying into the font of the cab if you had to stop very suddenly and would probably help with insulation to a point. Also stops people seeing what's in your van when parked up. I was lucky to find a full metal one on ebay.@Spruce would be the best guy to advise on the wire you need for the relay

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

The relay normally comes in a kit. There are loads of vids on YouTube about installing it. 
I have a mpower 140amp vsr (voltage sensing relay) and the cables that were supplied as part of the kit were 70amp cables. I'm currently working on a replacement van and I've fitted 110 amp cables. It's a work in very slow progress at the moment.
If your van is one of those with regenerative braking then you need a battery to battery charger.

I have a mpower 140amp vsr (voltage sensing relay) and the cables that were supplied as part of the kit were 70amp cables. I'm currently working on a replacement van and I've fitted 110 amp cables. It's a work in very slow progress at the moment.
If your van is one of those with regenerative braking then you need a battery to battery charger.

Thanks for getting back to me spruce. The system I’ve bought has this split charge relay on it. I imagine it’s just a case of connecting the positive from the van battery to the positive coming of this box but as I’m completely useless with electrics I don’t know what cable to use or if that’s even correct.

As mentioned above I’ll search YouTube and if it comes down to it I can ring the company tomorrow and get them to guide me through it.

Also no need to worry about regenerative braking or anything fancy like that in my van the CD players about as hi-tech as it gets [emoji85]

8d55b0a1b97a4899f8c388383913829e.jpg

If you go onto the antares website there is a pdf data sheet on which you will find an easy to understand wiring diagram.

http://www.antares.co.uk/original-split-charge.html

A leisure battery generally won't accept a high charging rate. You could easily get away with 70 amp cable but you will also need the cable to be fused as close to both positive battery terminals.

My first split charge relay was a small 15 amp one. I used 15 amp cables. When that unit packed up I replace it with the current system (70amp) cables. My same leisure battery didn't charge any faster with the bigger capacity cables. Although the battery takes an initial charge surge of around 20 amps when first starting the van after a days graft, it settles down to 7 or 8 amps within a short period of time. By design, a leisure battery will only accept a limited charge rate which reduces as the battery gets more fully charged.

If you want to go with 70amp cable, you want 16mm cable (pricey).  Personally, I would just go with 30amp as your battery won’t accept any where near that but gives you head room should you need to run your engine to give you more juice.

as said, fuse at both batteries. 

8mm (preferably 10mm) cable will suite 30amp

Back