Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Yell Advertising

Pit Creature

So I just got convinced to sign up for advertising with Yell and have since read on here some pretty negative stuff about them.

Has anyone managed to get any customers through Yell or have I just wasted my money?

I stopped advertising with them about 8 years ago got a handful of called over a year nothing worth doing all one off jobs on one bed flats type of property, don’t advertise anymore just web site this produces more work than I can keep up with 

i have just looked on yell and my buisness is still listed there haven’t paid for 8 years , I  assume it’s been on there all this time not had a single call for years from it  so I guess it’s a waist of time ???

Last edited by a moderator:
Nowt wrong with a free add it all helps although I've only had 1-2 calls in 10 years or so, But if you have signed up for a paid add I would get on the phone asap and cancel 

You have a business to business contract with Yell once you say yes, so no cooling off period and no consumer rights apparently  

I received a call from Yell and thank goodness I was too busy to advertise. I thought they had went bust or something because I haven't seem the yellow pages for years. Website and Google is the way to go, if you want business. I have enough work till next year so no point advertising. I read advertising is taking a big hit at the moment which usually means a recession is coming because that's the first thing a business will cut back on.

Just as an update... after panicking that I’d wasted my money initially i’ve had 5 enquires in the last 2/3 weeks off the back of this advertising. Ended up with £51 monthly from 2 jobs and a £30 one off. I haven’t even paid my first payment for it yet. For £10 a month + vat it’s looking like a good investment so far.

I've been using Yell for a few years now though only with a paid advert for last year. They are linked to Google so when a potential customer looks for a window cleaner in a certain area my details will pop up on first page on both sites though not in the top three they're normally taken by larger companies that pay big bucks to be at top of the page. This doesn't worry me as a business because its highly unlikely that my target audience will be attracted to a company that's based twenty or so miles away!

I pay £20 a month and get approx. ten calls a month from it.

On 07/06/2019 at 08:01, Green Pro Clean Ltd said:

Those that recoup their expense with a directory are extremely lucky.  I think geographical location plays a big part in it too. 

I must be in a good location for it because I’m getting loads of enquires through  my Yell advertising. Pound for pound it’s been the best advertising I’ve tried so far.

I knew a couple of cowboy roofers who had a great website done through Yell. They ended up getting phone calls everyday regarding surveys for new work. They never got repeat business or word of mouth work because they were rubbish. My mate was working for them and we couldn't believe the work they were getting. In the end they took on 5 jobs and couldn't finish any of them because no one would work for them so their company went bust in February this year. It still amazes me how much work they got through Yell. In the end, any advertising is good economic sense or BMW, Mercedes & VW wouldn't do it.

I must be in a good location for it because I’m getting loads of enquires through  my Yell advertising. Pound for pound it’s been the best advertising I’ve tried so far.

Glad it's working for someone.

any advertising is good economic sense or BMW, Mercedes & VW wouldn't do it

I haven't looked but I doubt you'll find Mercedes or VW taking ads in Yell. 

In the old days they would have a full page spread in the Yellow Pages sure but doubt it now.   

A few years back we spent over £700 on adverts on Yell,from the first day it went live all we had was companys trying to sell us things, Never had a single customer from it....... would never do it again.

I think it all comes down to what one is advertising. Manual work seems to be pretty good because Yell is always on the front page. I spend nearly a grand on Checkatrade a year and one day job I received £600. Think I have received about 2 grand back now so I'm happy with their service. I get work that I would never receive otherwise. I'm too busy at the moment to advertise on Yell but I might do it just for window cleaning and maybe Gumtree as well. It one wants their business to grow then you have got to advertise in the right places. When I get a tank fitted then I may try Gumtree, Yell and local paper to see what happens.

Back