Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Best way to load?

Carts69

What’s the best way to load a pressure washer on the van when on your own, surprisingly  heavy, pushing up ramps seems a no no, how do you guys load with ease?

Last week I was working in a house and next door was getting their driveway PW. As I was leaving, the windy cleaner asked me if I could give him a hand by lifting his PW into his van. I said no bother and within seconds it was in his van. That's when I realized it is a two man job lifting it in and out of the van.

Anyway, I received my twin turbo nozzle lance and trigger assembly today from Rutland Pumps (£162) delivered, take a look below.

fo.jpg

Last week I was working in a house and next door was getting their driveway PW. As I was leaving, the windy cleaner asked me if I could give him a hand by lifting his PW into his van. I said no bother and within seconds it was in his van. That's when I realized it is a two man job lifting it in and out of the van.

Anyway, I received my twin turbo nozzle lance and trigger assembly today from Rutland Pumps (£162) delivered, take a look below.

View attachment 15053
Nice lance, putting one on my list shortly, ok regarding 2 men.. I’ve got to find a way of getting this in & out by myself, I’ve noticed you can get a 12 volt winch, I’m thinking I could attach it to my tank frame & winch it in via remote, any views on that idea?

I can tell you how I get my cement mixer into my van by myself if that helps. Wheel it up to the back of van with both handles protruding inside the van. Place a few bits of hardboard or laminate where the handles will come to rest. Then I lift the mixer by the bottom bar and slide it in on both handles. The hardboard or laminate eliminates the friction and it slides in easy. If you sprinkle some kiln dried sand down on the floor it glides in.

I believe a longer ramp maybe in order or a scissor jack of some sort. That's why I just leave mine in the van and run it with the doors open or my knees would be knackard. :1f609:    

View attachment 15053
That looks the job alright!!!!

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Nothing beats the old 2 man lift. I do have ramps in case its dire straits and i found myself alone, but luckily i have my brother with me on all jobs. even with the ramps its far from easy. DONT attempt to lift it on your own. Thats how i done my back. And it wasn’t pretty, had to crawl from where the van was parked to the front door, i was horizontal in agony for 2 days of severe shooting pains, 18 months of great difficulty on the job and only just coming out for the better now 25 months on. Id sooner wait for a hefty bloke to pass by, ask if he’s physically fit, if he is, chuck him a fiver for his assistance and factor that in to the job.

Nothing beats the old 2 man lift. I do have ramps in case its dire straits and i found myself alone, but luckily i have my brother with me on all jobs. even with the ramps its far from easy. DONT attempt to lift it on your own. Thats how i done my back. And it wasn’t pretty, had to crawl from where the van was parked to the front door, i was horizontal in agony for 2 days of severe shooting pains, 18 months of great difficulty on the job and only just coming out for the better now 25 months on. Id sooner wait for a hefty bloke to pass by, ask if he’s physically fit, if he is, chuck him a fiver for his assistance and factor that in to the job.

No chance, lifting it in & out isn’t an option, sounds like you made the wrong choice & that sounds nasty, the back is so vulnerable, such a weak area & can be pulled/tweaked so easily.

i think I’m going to purchase a set of folding ramps & a winch, then experiment with pulling the washer up into the van, simply can’t rely on other people to help me, there is a solution to every problem apparently.

Aye, I would like a winder for my 40m hose, getting fed up wrapping around hooks in my van. If I was doing a PW each week then I would consider it. Also going to cut down a wheelie bin to house my Maxblast Vac in and maybe the poles also. Will post a picture when I do it tomorrow. 

I have found it’s not the pushing of the washer up the ramps to be the problem, but the pushing of it back out down the ramps. The ramps tend to slide and the weight of it moving away from me is more scary whereas when i have my weight behind me pushing it up i felt more confident, so i abandoned the ramps and rely on the old 2 man lift

in an ideal world id have it bolted in like Green pro but we do so little pressure washing its not really a viable option for us, takes up a lot of space when i wouldnt be using it

Last edited by a moderator:
I lift my pressure washer by myself. I been going gym for over twenty years and still lift heavier than most people. One of my best exercises is dead lifting which probably helps with this.

I just pick it up from rear holding the p/w frame and put the tyres basically on my quadriceps and place the front end of the p/w in van first, then the weight is off my back and I just swivel the p/w around using my arms and it's in the back of the van.

Basically just reverse the method when getting it. Let the wheels roll down you legs and get the front end of p/w down on the floor.

I can walk with it like this. Ideally I dont I just wheel the p/w to rear of van. 

I've never had any issues lifting it in an out. 

You could wear a weight belt to help support your lower back by pushing abdominals inwards to improve lower back support while your lifting it.. 

You just dont want to be lifting it and bending your lower back at the same time.

Well this thread gave me a lot of worry before deciding getting into the game, as leaving it in the van just isnt an option.

my conclusion- i shouldnt have worried a thing. 2x 6ft wooden ramps. In and out all day long with no bother whatsoever. Any newbees reading this thread honestly its not an issue 

Back