Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Steel/bronze Wool

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Apes

Hi peeps!

I've just been wondering, since watching the US Vs UK series on youtube, and comparing other UK/US channels; do many people use wire wool in the UK? and if not, are there particular reasons to that? 

Bronze wool might be worth a mention too - as used in conjunction with WFP by some.
(Just saw previous posts where glass was scratched? But perhaps that that could be due to lack of care/technique/pad maintenance?)

Just very curious, if anyone has any generalisations or significant experience. 

Many thanks! ?
Jack  

Have used steel wool a-lot mainly on builders cleans - has to be 0000 grade pros & cons - never known it to scratch very effective - always use wet - but will rust quickly - so replace often - a pain if leave in belt pouch and forget - but always keep on van aa part of kit

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

A reminder to myself must keep in plastic bag and tear off as needed

As to Scratching - test on bottom corner of glass 1st - I'm not saying it wont - more likely if a bit of grit in wool so use wet and keep clean

Have used steel wool a-lot mainly on builders cleans - has to be 0000 grade pros & cons - never known it to scratch very effective - always use wet - but will rust quickly - so replace often - a pain if leave in belt pouch and forget - but always keep on van aa part of kit

A reminder to myself must keep in plastic bag and tear off as needed

Bronze wool can be effective in changing a hydrophobic window into a hydrophilic window. It’s the microscopic scratches that don’t allow the water to bead up.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Hello,

what i would like to know is in which situations fine steel wool (0000 grade) is useful and in which other situations is fine bronze wool (grade 0000) useful.

If both are sold for the wimdow cleaning industry, there should be a reason, no?

thanks for infos, comments and reviews !

I use it, it's the most abrasive materiel you can use use safely on most panes.

Dont use on tinted, dont use on toughened (toughened has a British standard kitemark in the corner of the pane)

2 hours ago, paul alan said:

I use it, it's the most abrasive materiel you can use use safely on most panes.

Dont use on tinted, dont use on toughened (toughened has a British standard kitemark in the corner of the pane)

Thank you for your answer Paul.

But do you use STEEL wool or BRONZE wool or both ?

Thank you for your answer Paul.

But do you use STEEL wool or BRONZE wool or both ?
I have both, you can buy a big bag of steel wool 0000 for the same price as 1 bronze wool pad, so although it only lasts a for a couple of hours continuous use you just chuck it away and get fresh. Bronze wool lasts a lot longer but then your always using the same piece .

I feel as though the steel wool is more aggressive, I use that on big builders cleans, the bronze wool on maintenance work as a last resort.

Latest Posts

Back