Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Moving from Traditional to Water fed

Johnb1888

Hi there ,I’m currently in transition from traditional to water fed and would appreciate any advice in doing first cleans and dealing with customers on the subject ,your experience would be appreciated .?

Hi John. Regarding first cleans this is what I do. Firstly, get yourself some TFR. I personally use Screwfix Degreaser but others use UBIK etc. First thing I do is give the window and good wetting up. I then spray my brush with the degreaser and then give the window a good scrubbing with it with the water off..including the vents! Once the window is covered, I let it dwell and work it's magic while I move onto the next window and do exactly the same. Once the second is done and dwelling, I'll then move back to the first, turn the water on and give it another good scrub. Once I can tell that it's clean I'll start the rinsing and give it a damn good rinse. Check it over and repeat if needed. Move onto next window etc.

Regarding customers...firstly you'll more than likely lose some..expect it! I suspect you'll already have an idea on your 'fussy' customers right? I transitioned back in February and found there's 3 types of customers reactions. 1) The ones that will instantly drop you as they 'dont like the brush' or *insert excuse here*. 2) The ones that will come out and seem worried about what this alien contraption is cleaning their windows but with education and a good explanation they'll be happy to try it out. - They also may drop you after 2/3 cleans. 3) The ones that won't give a rat's behind what you're doing and are just happy to have their windows cleaned by whatever means.

For me personally, I found things to settle down after about 5/6 months. Once everyone gets to know the method and see it does a good job it's highly unlikely they'll drop you for 'using the brush' after 6+ months. Also brand new customers will know from the start the method you'll be using so it gets easier.

It's the best thing I've ever done personally. The great folks on here give me great advice and that last push to change over as I made a post just like yours here. Do it and don't look back, you may have the odd day of regret especially if you have a few cancel in one day. Hold your nerve and stick with it. Good luck.

Hi John. Regarding first cleans this is what I do. Firstly, get yourself some TFR. I personally use Screwfix Degreaser but others use UBIK etc. First thing I do is give the window and good wetting up. I then spray my brush with the degreaser and then give the window a good scrubbing with it with the water off..including the vents! Once the window is covered, I let it dwell and work it's magic while I move onto the next window and do exactly the same. Once the second is done and dwelling, I'll then move back to the first, turn the water on and give it another good scrub. Once I can tell that it's clean I'll start the rinsing and give it a damn good rinse. Check it over and repeat if needed. Move onto next window etc.

Regarding customers...firstly you'll more than likely lose some..expect it! I suspect you'll already have an idea on your 'fussy' customers right? I transitioned back in February and found there's 3 types of customers reactions. 1) The ones that will instantly drop you as they 'dont like the brush' or *insert excuse here*. 2) The ones that will come out and seem worried about what this alien contraption is cleaning their windows but with education and a good explanation they'll be happy to try it out. - They also may drop you after 2/3 cleans. 3) The ones that won't give a rat's behind what you're doing and are just happy to have their windows cleaned by whatever means.

For me personally, I found things to settle down after about 5/6 months. Once everyone gets to know the method and see it does a good job it's highly unlikely they'll drop you for 'using the brush' after 6+ months. Also brand new customers will know from the start the method you'll be using so it gets easier.

It's the best thing I've ever done personally. The great folks on here give me great advice and that last push to change over as I made a post just like yours here. Do it and don't look back, you may have the odd day of regret especially if you have a few cancel in one day. Hold your nerve and stick with it. Good luck.

Hi there ,I’m sure the advice will be invaluable in the coming weeks and months ,you’ve taken a bit of time to reply in the depth you have and it’s really appreciated .

I wish you well and thank you ?

If for example, you are doing a detached house or semi and have ease of access to the front and back then do all the frames of the upstairs windows first and then all the frames of downstairs windows and doors this will allow time for the water and dirt to run down off the tops of the frames, 

My method is to spray some diluted Ubik-2000 onto the brush head and then start on the first window rinsing the top of the frame until the water runs clear I then nip the pole hose to stop water flow and then scrub the top of the frame then move onto window 2 and do the same then back to the first window and rinse the top of frame rinsing away the rest of the dirt that has been shifted and rinse the bubbles down the glass and scrub the sill and blast out any dirt has built up between the bottom of the frame and the sill then onto window 2 and repeat around all the window frames you will need to keep spraying the brush head with the detergent of your choice and each window then once all the frames are done then go to your first window and do the glass. First cleans will take 2-3 times longer than a regular clean  

And the above can be disheartening to a point as it will take a lot longer to do your rounds but you could do it in phases depending on how full your rounds are, But getting wfp right the first time by putting the extra graft and the very beginning will pay dividends longterm, then moving forward it will get easier over time and you will get quicker and any new jobs you pick up charge them between 50% and 100% more for a first clean depending on what you feel you can charge in your local area. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there ,firstly thanks for your response and taking the time to do so ,the methods you have said are the way in which I’m doing so it’s taking a lot more time than I thought but like you say will be worth it in the long term ,I have had issues with spotting and I know this is due to **** being released from the seals after I’ve left the job ,it’s pretty minimal though .

Ive had all sorts of comments ,from it’s a lazy mans tool lol ,to I just don’t think it will work .

On the plus side the majority have been receptive to the change .

The one thing if you could help with is where to purchase a scraper attachment for bird poo as I’m finding it very stubborn to remove now and then ,I’m using an ova 8 pole so I’m no sure if one fits all or what ?

Thanks again for taking the time to respond and in passing on your experience it’s much appreciated .??

Hi there ,firstly thanks for your response and taking the time to do so ,the methods you have said are the way in which I’m doing so it’s taking a lot more time than I thought but like you say will be worth it in the long term ,I have had issues with spotting and I know this is due to **** being released from the seals after I’ve left the job ,it’s pretty minimal though .
Ive had all sorts of comments ,from it’s a lazy mans tool lol ,to I just don’t think it will work .
On the plus side the majority have been receptive to the change .
The one thing if you could help with is where to purchase a scraper attachment for bird poo as I’m finding it very stubborn to remove now and then ,I’m using an ova 8 pole so I’m no sure if one fits all or what ?
Thanks again for taking the time to respond and in passing on your experience it’s much appreciated .[emoji4][emoji106]
Depending on what pole you have Gardinerpolesystems.co.uk sell a scraper which fits to their poles

County Durham Lad

It’s a streamline ova 8 pole I have and can’t find a universal that would fit ,I’ve seen the gardiner one now though and I’ll purchase that and see how wee go ,for all it costs .

Nice one thanks .

Back