Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Power wash or soft wash composite decking?

cloudnine

Have been asked to clean a composite deck that is a bit green / dirty.

Wasn't sure on the best method for cleaning composite decking?

Any tips welcome..

Definitely not with a jet wash- a customer of mine did this and it’s brought up the ‘pile’. I cleaned a small area with ubix which seemed to come up nicely. I’d be a bit cautious using anything stronger unless you can do a fast patch. From memory the deck I saw was green again a couple of months later so a biocide if some form would be a good idea, som rid these composite decks have quite deep ‘grain’ so it’s no wonder they hold the dirt and water

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Definitely not with a jet wash- a customer of mine did this and it’s brought up the ‘pile’. I cleaned a small area with ubix which seemed to come up nicely. I’d be a bit cautious using anything stronger unless you can do a fast patch. From memory the deck I saw was green again a couple of months later so a biocide if some form would be a good idea, som rid these composite decks have quite deep ‘grain’ so it’s no wonder they hold the dirt and water

He said composite decking  I assume he means plastic ????? We have pressurewashed it but not on full power, you could also softwash it but make sure it’s a weak mix or you might bleach the colour from it 

Thanks... So..Im thinking  diluted screwfix HD degreaser (as i already have some) mixed with a bit of Hypo added (5% ish) sprayed on and then scrubbed with a soft brush and rinsed with a hose be best?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks... So..Im thinking  diluted screwfix HD degreaser (as i already have some) mixed with a bit of Hypo added (5% ish) sprayed on and then scrubbed with a soft brush and rinsed with a hose be best?

I wouldn’t mix degreaser with hypo : one it’s illegal, only chemicals specifically formulated to be mixed with bleach should be put in it , and two some chemicals when mixed with hypo are potentially cancer causing use one or the other , if it’s green with algy I would use a hypo mix , if it’s just general dirt road grime then virosol, or similar will be ok apply by spray or brush leave it to dwell for up to 40 muinits ( hypo mix not degreaser ) light scrub with wfp rinse well with garden hose job done ?

He said composite decking  I assume he means plastic ????? We have pressurewashed it but not on full power, you could also softwash it but make sure it’s a weak mix or you might bleach the colour from it 
Some ‘composite’ decking uses a mixture of recycled plastic and wood, god knows what else as they seem to Chuck all kinds of delights in ‘recycled’ products these days.

Latest Posts

Back