Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Think They all out to wind me up this week.

Eddie dragon

Only two days in an they both full of annoying people. Started with one yesterday. I turned up to find a painter starting his prep to paint frames. Big house big windows all broken up into tiny squares. I left a note for customer and set about next door. Painter comes over, she's not cancelled m8 crack on an clean the windows. Basically he wonted me to do his prep work. I wasn't having any of that. He got a bit narky over me refusing to clean. (customer wasn't unhappy, would have been if I had cleaned an billed). Then some mothering law looking after a house decided to have a go as I didn't dry the windows. Could not explain that they dry clear or that I have cleaned said windows same way for two years. Left the property with her still saying I threw water at the windows and am ripping people off. (only just managed to stay professional and polite.)  got blocked in a drive by ignorant builders loading rubbish from next door. 

One of my best paying jobs just installed two kissing gates so access to back now loads of fun. First job this morning I spent ages getting a minging conservatory nice and clean. As I finished up the front of the house he started cutting the hedge throwing **** all over still wet conservatory. Thought sod it and posted the invoice.  Finally got into a descusion about who's fault so who's responsible for said cleaning. Plus cost of said cleaning. Customer set up activity table infont of big patio doors. Little darlings have painted doors with pva glue, paint and possibly perminent marker. She was genuinely shocked that I would charge more as its my job to clean the windows. ( it's so hard to stay professional and calm sometimes) so that's my rant over, hope the rest of the week goes smother and everyone's out at work out of my way. 

We should all post our rants. One of my regulars today..... 'when I was in the army....' I turned the other way and whispered feck off to myself then I turned round to listen to the same story I'd heard countless times.  ?

I like the idea of a rant page 

I have one from today.    

First visit crusty.

woman wasn’t in but partner was, had to go back for payment.

Fronts done, go round the back, gate won’t open

guys says come through the house (grrr)

couldnt do back door because of hose

and to top it off, dog comes an sh**s right next to me.   I didn’t see it or the dog lay it, hose goes in it, I stand in it, hose up my leg.   It was everywhere.   ?????

We should all post our rants. One of my regulars today..... 'when I was in the army....' I turned the other way and whispered feck off to myself then I turned round to listen to the same story I'd heard countless times.  ?
I've got one tells me every time ''I was brought up on a farm, me and me brother.....'' Then he tells me how he doesn't have any kids cos w4nkings cheaper. Then he goes on about he turned 70 last week.... problem is he was telling me that for 6 months. In the end I I said ''Graham, you've been telling me that for so long now I reckon you've turned 80''. Poor sods no harm, always pays his bill in cash on the day.

I’ve got one job, been wanting to drop it for a couple of cleans now. But did it yesterday. The actual house is ok priced. But parking is horrendous. I always have to pull out 60metres hose if not more, and it has to go round 3 or 4 corners as the house it down a walk way off the road (if that makes sense) so it honestly takes 4/5 minutes to set up and start on the first window. And then a few minutes again to pack away. 

last time I was a week late (not a big deal in my opinion) and when I rang her the night before to say I’m coming tomorrow she said “My husband ending up doing them, we presumed you weren’t coming”

i nearly said ok no problem and dropped them there & then. But didn’t.

So went yesterday, windows were filthy (it’s 8 weekly but I doubt the husband cleaned them) so they hadn’t been cleaned for 16 weeks really. Job took way longer than it should.

Finally all packed away, went back, I saw them while cleaning in the kitchen so knew they were in. Rang the bell, stood there then realised the ‘bell not working please knock’ so knocked, no answer. Knocked again. Waited no answer. By now I’m in a mood, knocked proper hard, way harder then I would ever feel comfortable knocking. She answers the door, inside it’s silent so not sure why she didn’t hear the first two knocks. “How much is it again?” It’s £20, same as usual, thanks, I reply. She then took ages looking for the money. Got back to the van, someone had boxed me right in. Did a 100 point turn to get out of the close. 

that was the first job of the day. Great way to start! Haha

I’ve got one job, been wanting to drop it for a couple of cleans now. But did it yesterday. The actual house is ok priced. But parking is horrendous. I always have to pull out 60metres hose if not more, and it has to go round 3 or 4 corners as the house it down a walk way off the road (if that makes sense) so it honestly takes 4/5 minutes to set up and start on the first window. And then a few minutes again to pack away. 

last time I was a week late (not a big deal in my opinion) and when I rang her the night before to say I’m coming tomorrow she said “My husband ending up doing them, we presumed you weren’t coming”

i nearly said ok no problem and dropped them there & then. But didn’t.

So went yesterday, windows were filthy (it’s 8 weekly but I doubt the husband cleaned them) so they hadn’t been cleaned for 16 weeks really. Job took way longer than it should.

Finally all packed away, went back, I saw them while cleaning in the kitchen so knew they were in. Rang the bell, stood there then realised the ‘bell not working please knock’ so knocked, no answer. Knocked again. Waited no answer. By now I’m in a mood, knocked proper hard, way harder then I would ever feel comfortable knocking. She answers the door, inside it’s silent so not sure why she didn’t hear the first two knocks. “How much is it again?” It’s £20, same as usual, thanks, I reply. She then took ages looking for the money. Got back to the van, someone had boxed me right in. Did a 100 point turn to get out of the close. 

that was the first job of the day. Great way to start! Haha

Why do you not use a backpack for that house?

It’s a £20 house, I wouldn’t have enough water in one. Plus I find them really heavy when you have to walk with them for a little bit 

Strap 2 onto a sack barrow, that's what they do up here. You could trad the ground floor but I wouldn't go through that rigmarole. Probably better not going back, they obviously don't respect all the hassle you do for them.

Strap 2 onto a sack barrow, that's what they do up here. You could trad the ground floor but I wouldn't go through that rigmarole. Probably better not going back, they obviously don't respect all the hassle you do for them.
I like your ideas, but it would be the only job where I would really need a sack barrow. And to wheel that, carry a pole and carry my trad gear, yeh agreed not worth it. 

It wouldn’t be window cleaning without all the excitement!
Somebody once rang me about 10 oclock on a friday night when it was belting it down with rain (not a customer) i had no idea who they were. Foolishly i answered. She said something like “my partner has conveniently locked himself out of our 2nd story flat and we have no spare key, he’s on the balcony & i’m down here, do you reckon you could come out so we could borrow your ladder please?” I nearly passed out. For one i certainly wasn’t going up there in the pitch black and what if one of them decided to do a fatty lewis and chuck themselves off the ladder?! I’m a window cleaner not an emergency service!
Another time i had a load of students ring me at 3am asking if i wanted to go clubbing with them. These are the reasons i no longer drop leaflets & make good use of the “do not disturb” outside of working hours

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

It wouldn’t be window cleaning without all the excitement!
Somebody once rang me about 10 oclock on a friday night when it was belting it down with rain (not a customer) i had no idea who they were. Foolishly i answered. She said something like “my partner has conveniently locked himself out of our 2nd story flat and we have no spare key, he’s on the balcony & i’m down here, do you reckon you could come out so we could borrow your ladder please?” I nearly passed out. For one i certainly wasn’t going up there in the pitch black and what if one of them decided to do a fatty lewis and chuck themselves off the ladder?! I’m a window cleaner not an emergency service!
Another time i had a load of students ring me at 3am asking if i wanted to go clubbing with them. These are the reasons i no longer drop leaflets & make good use of the “do not disturb” outside of working hours

Students ringing you at 3am - that's absolute quality ? ??

You accepted the invitation right? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Students ringing you at 3am - that's absolute quality [emoji23] [emoji23][emoji23]
You accepted the invitation right? 
Blocked the number, unblocked it the following morning and rang it at 7am, student answers “uuggghh””
I said “hiya i had a phone call off you last night at 3am but it was a bit off peak for me so i’m just returning the call”
Another reply of “uuuugghhh”
Hahaha. Welcome to ya hangover !!

Rant of my week. THE FLU..........REAL FLU.............rang my first customer Monday a gutter job and said not coming sick, I couldn't speak sounded like Barry White he told me I had to come as a storm was coming this week and his gutters were full. He is 83 on his own, so my wife said you better go. I was not amused, staggered out did the job and then staggered back with a raging temperature and sweating and thats been my week. £50 earnt.................dont tell me I was soft and should have told him where to go I know but I am a nice kind person....................

Rant of my week. THE FLU..........REAL FLU.............rang my first customer Monday a gutter job and said not coming sick, I couldn't speak sounded like Barry White he told me I had to come as a storm was coming this week and his gutters were full. He is 83 on his own, so my wife said you better go. I was not amused, staggered out did the job and then staggered back with a raging temperature and sweating and thats been my week. £50 earnt.................dont tell me I was soft and should have told him where to go I know but I am a nice kind person....................
Well done. Credit to you. But i wouldn’t make a habit of it. you’ve got to be realistic man. In that condition, you’re nothing but a risk to yourself and everybody around you. Illness affects driving ability, co-ordination, any ladder work is a no go. If you’re out for the count you’re out for the count you know. Its good to be friendly with a few businesses local to you. Theres one or two companies i put work on to...e.g. high access jobs where a mobile crane is required, and another company similar to ours, he covers an area i dont, takes on commercial work that im not interested in, and in return he sends us a few residential driveway cleans every now and again as he no longer does pressure washing. They are good reliable companies who have more staff than we do therefore probably always hungry for work so if i was ill i would probably send it their way [emoji4]

Over the years I've had most of the aforementioned issues, Gates I don't climb and they now get charged full price if access isn't provided as agreed, Lazy dog owners, whingers and messers get sacked off and bad payers don't get a look in. 

Back