Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Few more questions (again lol)

Joshyouare

Firstly, sorry for the stupid questions ?

I keep getting these marks with my squeegees on the window, I've got a moerman liquidator excelerator bought off eBay with I believe razr red rubber. And also a cheap screwfix squeegee. The Moerman seems to leave more of these marks. Also, these marks seem to clear up spotless so maybe i'm overthinking? Anyway, the image is below (hopefully you can actually see the marks). Plus i'm using fairy liquid or magnum (no idea on the ratios).

I've just got my ladders (on top of the C1?) so I've been driving around today looking at possible areas to start canvassing in. Some of the areas look good but it seems as if most houses have an overhang on the ground floor window meaning ladder positioning is difficult for the window above it. I do have a trad pole but I'm awful at it at the minute and wouldn't want to risk losing customers etc.

Lastly, am I ok to put ladders on grass, pebble drives/surfaces?

Guess it's just a case of getting out there and doing it, would just be great to get it a bit more tuned before I start selling the service.

45455353_515462948924316_7478414763945361408_n.jpg

If the marks are clearing up & leaving the window spotless you've not really got a problem.

As far as ladder placement is concerned the main factor is safety. Grass, gravel drives. pavings etc... all OK. Decking - be very careful! If you're concerned about ruining the customers flower border - just ask them!

TBH -  You could resolve all these concerns and would be much safer by going WFP.

If the marks are clearing up & leaving the window spotless you've not really got a problem.

As far as ladder placement is concerned the main factor is safety. Grass, gravel drives. pavings etc... all OK. Decking - be very careful! If you're concerned about ruining the customers flower border - just ask them!

TBH -  You could resolve all these concerns and would be much safer by going WFP.
Thanks for the ladder and marks advice.

In terms of the ladder placement it's like the picture below - how would you get to the ones on the right? Can you put the ladder at an angle like that?

And yes, I wish I could go WFP but I just can't afford it at the minute, I've bought most of the trad stuff now anyway.

house.jpg

Look like leaded upstairs, gonna be a ballache. Moerman exelerator and fliq on pole, then a fixi clamp holding scrim/microfibre cloth to detail.

Thanks for the ladder and marks advice.

In terms of the ladder placement it's like the picture below - how would you get to the ones on the right? Can you put the ladder at an angle like that?

And yes, I wish I could go WFP but I just can't afford it at the minute, I've bought most of the trad stuff now anyway.

View attachment 15108
That sort of house would have been done by walking accross the top floor on the tiles in my trad days

Normal windows I would have used a trad pole but leaded needs you to be up close and personal

Look like leaded upstairs, gonna be a ballache. Moerman exelerator and fliq on pole, then a fixi clamp holding scrim/microfibre cloth to detail.
Used my fixiclamp all day a few Saturdays ago done two internal conservatory’s next door to each brilliant tools for the plastics save a tonne of time. 

Firstly, sorry for the stupid questions ?

I keep getting these marks with my squeegees on the window, I've got a moerman liquidator excelerator bought off eBay with I believe razr red rubber. And also a cheap screwfix squeegee. The Moerman seems to leave more of these marks. Also, these marks seem to clear up spotless so maybe i'm overthinking? Anyway, the image is below (hopefully you can actually see the marks). Plus i'm using fairy liquid or magnum (no idea on the ratios).

I've just got my ladders (on top of the C1?) so I've been driving around today looking at possible areas to start canvassing in. Some of the areas look good but it seems as if most houses have an overhang on the ground floor window meaning ladder positioning is difficult for the window above it. I do have a trad pole but I'm awful at it at the minute and wouldn't want to risk losing customers etc.

Lastly, am I ok to put ladders on grass, pebble drives/surfaces?

Guess it's just a case of getting out there and doing it, would just be great to get it a bit more tuned before I start selling the service.

View attachment 15107
Razor red rubber = C**p IMO. This time of year get some normal soft rubber. Ettore the best but pricey, Pulex is decent, Moerman is average. Just keep the rubber lubricated to prolong the edges from burn out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Razor red rubber = C**p IMO. This time of year get some normal soft rubber. Ettore the best but pricey, Pulex is decent, Moerman is average. Just keep the rubber lubricated to prolong the edges from burn out.
I only use razr red on leaded windows,and wooden framed windows,as I don't want my soft rubber ruined.
To be honest, I don't really see much difference in results. Maybe razr skips a bit more,as it's a harder rubber?

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I think it might be the rubber for me, changed to some unger rubber from screwfix and i'd say it's better, however I think I must have put it in wrong because I'm getting some weird lines now, and it seems to be catching on the window at the sides.

I only use razr red on leaded windows,and wooden framed windows,as I don't want my soft rubber ruined.
To be honest, I don't really see much difference in results. Maybe razr skips a bit more,as it's a harder rubber?

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Yup you have to put more pressure on the glass when using harder rubber, skipping unless you do that. I do get why you would use it with wooden frames. I could never get along with hard rubber, even on the hot days here in Ireland when the soft rubber can drag a bit.. I still prefer the soft rubber. I would have repetitive strain if I used hard rubber all the time with the amount of pressure you have to apply in comparison to hard rubber. Just not for me, no matter what the brand.

I think it might be the rubber for me, changed to some unger rubber from screwfix and i'd say it's better, however I think I must have put it in wrong because I'm getting some weird lines now, and it seems to be catching on the window at the sides.
This is the thing with window cleaning, unfortunately you have to go through several different brands to find the one suited for you, everyone is individual and will have different opinions. I've spent so much money over the years trying out different equipment and products only to have them gathering dust now. IMO Unger products stagnated for awhile after being the best for years but they have caught back up with the Ninja range which is great but I still think their rubber isn't great.

This time of year soft rubber should be used outdoors ( I use it on shopping malls all year round to be honest). Ettore soft rubber imo is the best but so pricey. Next best imo is Pulex. I use a lot of Sorbo gear which is SPC over this side of the world. The equipment is so well made it will outlast me but the rubber is fairly average sticks and burns out quickly. I only use it because the sorbo channels takes the "T" shaped rubber as oppose to the normal round one & I bulk order that rubber, plus I can't find any wide bodied channel better than the Sorbo. I use 36" channels which most don't bother with, I have four 36" channels from different brands. I could use the Sorbo with the sorbo handle and it won't be as good as the Sorbo with an Unger handle, how annoying is that!!! Yesterday I bought Legend channel (Cut like Liquidator for apparently less detailing) but it is absolute rubbish unless used Ettore rubber and Pulex alumax handle, wtf like!! Like the Moerman Liquidator mix and match other equipment to get it working to optimal levels (check out that thread)It's incredibly tedious swapping and trialling all these different brands trying to find out what actually works as oppose to what I want to smash against a brick wall. Things like angle, grip, technique etc can effect the outcome of your work but also handle, rubber, channel too. 

For me and this is just my opinion, the Unger ninja handles 30 degree is by far the best handle on the market, genuinely no other handle even close imo, so well made and so versatile. The same Ettore rubber, it's just way ahead of everything else. What channel you use is really up for debate, depends on the type of work you do, as I said I use a big wide bodied 36" as I do commercial with large panes of glass but this would be useless for domestic stuff which I would use liquidator or several of my modded squeegees. Angled handles or likes of Wagtail angled attachment or Ledgers are excellent for awkward high jobs with poor leverage, helps you close out. As for trad poles and scrapers, Unger poles are a solid option, I also have an Ettore one which his decent. I use the Unger ninja scraper with holster.. it's brilliant. I have Unger stainless steels blades & Triumph blades which are imo the best. Stainless steel won't rust as quick as Carbon but carbon are sharper. SS from a cost point of view imo. I also have a plastic scraper for surfaces you can't use the blades on, fairly handy actually. Cloth wise I loads but my go to is Vikan & Vermop detailing cloths (I love them!!!), got several sill cloths and large microfibre cloths too. For large glass in commercial I use a large flat head duster and screw/click onto top of pole, so handy for dusting internal windows and saves you from washing tops all the time. Been doing it for decades and now every f**ker is copying me last few years lol.

Emmm what else, degreaser (screw fix and likes of b and q one in spray bottle), hard water stain remover (winsol), Unger rub out (Brilliant!). I can't think of anything else off the top of my head but that's mostly what I would use on a day to day basis, not that you need all of that.. I just like trying new products in the hope of making the work easier and quicker. I know i keep saying IMO (in my opinion) through post but everyone is individual and likes different sh*t so it is each to their own and there are loads a top tradders on here that would use completely different stuff to me. Long winded post but if any of that helps then it was worth it. Ask as much questions as you like on this forum as the wealth of info is amazing and I would say 99.9% percent of your questions could be answered by folk on here, helped me out no end and i've been cleaning windows since the 90's.

This is the thing with window cleaning, unfortunately you have to go through several different brands to find the one suited for you, everyone is individual and will have different opinions. I've spent so much money over the years trying out different equipment and products only to have them gathering dust now. IMO Unger products stagnated for awhile after being the best for years but they have caught back up with the Ninja range which is great but I still think their rubber isn't great.

This time of year soft rubber should be used outdoors ( I use it on shopping malls all year round to be honest). Ettore soft rubber imo is the best but so pricey. Next best imo is Pulex. I use a lot of Sorbo gear which is SPC over this side of the world. The equipment is so well made it will outlast me but the rubber is fairly average sticks and burns out quickly. I only use it because the sorbo channels takes the "T" shaped rubber as oppose to the normal round one & I bulk order that rubber, plus I can't find any wide bodied channel better than the Sorbo. I use 36" channels which most don't bother with, I have four 36" channels from different brands. I could use the Sorbo with the sorbo handle and it won't be as good as the Sorbo with an Unger handle, how annoying is that!!! Yesterday I bought Legend channel (Cut like Liquidator for apparently less detailing) but it is absolute rubbish unless used Ettore rubber and Pulex alumax handle, wtf like!! Like the Moerman Liquidator mix and match other equipment to get it working to optimal levels (check out that thread)It's incredibly tedious swapping and trialling all these different brands trying to find out what actually works as oppose to what I want to smash against a brick wall. Things like angle, grip, technique etc can effect the outcome of your work but also handle, rubber, channel too. 

For me and this is just my opinion, the Unger ninja handles 30 degree is by far the best handle on the market, genuinely no other handle even close imo, so well made and so versatile. The same Ettore rubber, it's just way ahead of everything else. What channel you use is really up for debate, depends on the type of work you do, as I said I use a big wide bodied 36" as I do commercial with large panes of glass but this would be useless for domestic stuff which I would use liquidator or several of my modded squeegees. Angled handles or likes of Wagtail angled attachment or Ledgers are excellent for awkward high jobs with poor leverage, helps you close out. As for trad poles and scrapers, Unger poles are a solid option, I also have an Ettore one which his decent. I use the Unger ninja scraper with holster.. it's brilliant. I have Unger stainless steels blades & Triumph blades which are imo the best. Stainless steel won't rust as quick as Carbon but carbon are sharper. SS from a cost point of view imo. I also have a plastic scraper for surfaces you can't use the blades on, fairly handy actually. Cloth wise I loads but my go to is Vikan & Vermop detailing cloths (I love them!!!), got several sill cloths and large microfibre cloths too. For large glass in commercial I use a large flat head duster and screw/click onto top of pole, so handy for dusting internal windows and saves you from washing tops all the time. Been doing it for decades and now every f**ker is copying me last few years lol.

Emmm what else, degreaser (screw fix and likes of b and q one in spray bottle), hard water stain remover (winsol), Unger rub out (Brilliant!). I can't think of anything else off the top of my head but that's mostly what I would use on a day to day basis, not that you need all of that.. I just like trying new products in the hope of making the work easier and quicker. I know i keep saying IMO (in my opinion) through post but everyone is individual and likes different sh*t so it is each to their own and there are loads a top tradders on here that would use completely different stuff to me. Long winded post but if any of that helps then it was worth it. Ask as much questions as you like on this forum as the wealth of info is amazing and I would say 99.9% percent of your questions could be answered by folk on here, helped me out no end and i've been cleaning windows since the 90's.
Yeah thanks very much for that. Does all rubber fit every squeegee, this unger rubber in my liquidator channel seems a bit short in width, maybe it's just me.

Yeah thanks very much for that. Does all rubber fit every squeegee, this unger rubber in my liquidator channel seems a bit short in width, maybe it's just me.
It's probably the length of the channel less the end clips? I know that Ettore rubber is thicker at the bottom than the others so can be a real squeeze into some other channels too.

Back