Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How much a month.

Hydie331

How much from month to month is the average window cleaner making I have read some crazy figures from £200 a day to only £50.

Sorry if this is a personal question and isn't allowed on here.

Everybody will have different answers depending on there own business ...... Is the answer is how much do YOU want to earn per month ..... There's no shortage supply of windows to clean ... How much you charge and how many you clean per day , per week , per month is entirely up to you

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Everybody will have different answers depending on there own business ...... Is the answer is how much do YOU want to earn per month ..... There's no shortage supply of windows to clean ... How much you charge and how many you clean per day , per week , per month is entirely up to you

I guess you are correct as there is to many variables to work out an average, I personally am looking to be able to clear my current earning of £3000 a month take home. 

I guess you are correct as there is to many variables to work out an average, I personally am looking to be able to clear my current earning of £3000 a month take home. 
That's all you need to aim for is your own personal target and if you exceed that your Win win [emoji106]...... How fast you get to your target again is entirely up to you ....Good luck

That's a big lump to exceed, with holidays, pension contributions and costs you'll you'll need to get to circa £55k a year turnover. Not saying it's impossible but you'll need to put the hours in, good luck. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Some days you make good money but when theres a gale blowing outside or if you get sub-zero temperatures then you aint making a daamn thaaang. If i had a job on 36 grand a year take home, id be very content with that. Consider yourself lucky lol.

Getting to 3k per month is a steep hill to climb,especially if you are starting from point zero.What a one man operation can earn per day will depend on the effort put in as well as a bit of luck and more importantly, which part of the Uk you operate in.In the suburbs of london a WFP van will do 20 - 25 jobs a day on a good compact round 8am - 3:30pm off a base rate of £20 per job, down the road in Clacton, using a mixture of trad & pole, a van will do 16 -20 jobs per day off a base rate of £10 per job.If starting from scratch, buying an existing round or paying a canvaser may be an option to get up and running.

Getting to 3k per month is a steep hill to climb,especially if you are starting from point zero.What a one man operation can earn per day will depend on the effort put in as well as a bit of luck and more importantly, which part of the Uk you operate in.In the suburbs of london a WFP van will do 20 - 25 jobs a day on a good compact round 8am - 3:30pm off a base rate of £20 per job, down the road in Clacton, using a mixture of trad & pole, a van will do 16 -20 jobs per day off a base rate of £10 per job.If starting from scratch, buying an existing round or paying a canvaser may be an option to get up and running.
Getting to 3k per month is a steep hill to climb,especially if you are starting from point zero...... Totally agree with this I started from nothing and 18 months later I'm not at that amount just from Windows.. admittedly I've not canvassed as hard as maybe I should have , BUT I have other stuff going on besides window cleaning and so a slow build has been to my choosing

As said this answer varies. I’m still not completely full every single week. Over the course of 6 weeks, I still have 2 weeks of just 2 days work in them. But I’m getting there. Obviously I need to earn a certain amount to pay my bills, and have a little spare money for myself.

But I actually focus more on my hourly rate, rather than monthly income. 6 months ago I thought £25 a hour was fine and average (for my area) for someone with all the gear etc but now I’ve put up a couple of jobs, picked up a few new better priced ones and really want to be earning £30 per hour minimum every hour by next summer. 

I know that if I work a majority of the working hours in a week, I’ll always earn enough. But yeh each month is different for me, between April-August I probably do  2 (and some of my houses are quite big) gutter clear & cleans a week extra. So the income those months is always more than say November-March.

In order for it to be scientific you’ll need a sample of minimum 33 customers I believe, then add up total income from the 33 and divide it by the number of customers (33) then you have your average price per customer. you’ll need to work out how many jobs you plan to do each day, you multiply the two figures together (average price x hours worked) then you get your estimated daily rate,  decide how many days a month you plan to work and you’ll come to your estimated monthly income.

we vary so much in our plans or way we choose to work. I played with figures as I was picking up customers in the early days to make estimations to convince myself that I was on the right path and found that this method wasn’t too far off my estimations. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice guys, By the sounds of it will be hard to match my current income with window clean etc 
It's not impossible but it is alot of commitment and hard work to put in ...... If possible and this is the path you wish to choose maybe drop your job to part time so you maintain an income while building window cleaning ??

Thanks for the advice guys, By the sounds of it will be hard to match my current income with window clean etc 
It will be hard to match it in a short period but it depends on your area as well. You might be in an area where the standards are low and a professionally run business might hit the ground running. All we are trying to say is it isn't a cake walk so be prepared to work very hard.

I left a job where i was earning a basic salary of £30k and after bonuses I would take a minimum of £36k. Not quite your salary as that was before tax.

I became a window cleaner last year but I only went full time in April. I don't earn what I used to earn yet. When I say that I am talking about the value of my regular customers on the books, i.e if I did no further work than what I had regularly. Some months I have brought home more than I used to earn but the first clean might be FSG and a conny roof at £200 where as the next clean might only be £15. 

It cost me circa 10k to set up with good kit and that was with a DIY van system not a customer built one. I have just this evening spent another £350 on upgrading some kit and replacing a damaged hose reel.

On a good wage you will have become accustomed to a certain lifestyle. In order to make it work you would more than likely need to make some sacrifices and I imagine you will want to get some money behind you. I fully intend to earn more than you are earning now in the long run, I know a lot of guys on here do.

Earning £36k after tax I imagine you are an intelligent, possibly educated person. If there are no opportunities for you to progress and better your life within your current company then window cleaning could be a fantastic option. Some one with a bit of drive and intelligence can make a good living out of this. If you want to go beyond the one man set up there is a lot of money to be made. You will need to deal with the negativity from friends or family thinking you have taken a step backwards in your life to become a window cleaner.

All of the negativity and challenge aside it is a really rewarding job. You will have freedom that working for the man doesn't give you. Being self employed you can put things through as a business expense such as part of your water bill, rent, gas/electric etc etc etc. This kind of thing can help you bridge the gap a little. The biggest reward for most people I think would be the freedom working for yourself gives you!

Oh dear... this will start a riot... ?

You should be doing at least £2k per month within 3 months and onto £3.5k plus within six months with upper levels only limited by imagination and effort. And this is regardless of where you are in the country.  

I know this is going to start an onslaught of people claiming this variable and that variable but before you do please remember just a couple of factors...  I have canvassed professionally for window cleaners up and down the country and we also own a company designed solely for generating leads and business nation wide so when it comes to round building (and really don't want this to sound egotistical) that is almost more of our speciality than window cleaning. 

No I of course don't share all of our secrets and tips but I will give you the main key factor..... TREAT IT AS A BUSINESS.  Start at 8am no clocking off before 5pm  so what if there's no more windows  to clean, knock doors, drop leaflets stand outside Tesco handing out business cards.... reward is only limited by effort.   

I will now go clean windows and wait for the onslaught. ???

Oh dear... this will start a riot... ?

You should be doing at least £2k per month within 3 months and onto £3.5k plus within six months with upper levels only limited by imagination and effort. And this is regardless of where you are in the country.  

I know this is going to start an onslaught of people claiming this variable and that variable but before you do please remember just a couple of factors...  I have canvassed professionally for window cleaners up and down the country and we also own a company designed solely for generating leads and business nation wide so when it comes to round building (and really don't want this to sound egotistical) that is almost more of our speciality than window cleaning. 

No I of course don't share all of our secrets and tips but I will give you the main key factor..... TREAT IT AS A BUSINESS.  Start at 8am no clocking off before 5pm  so what if there's no more windows  to clean, knock doors, drop leaflets stand outside Tesco handing out business cards.... reward is only limited by effort.   

I will now go clean windows and wait for the onslaught. ???
Well I agree with you, please don't die of shock. I believe in the north south divide but as my home town is in a diprived area of the north west I also think the guys up north will be able to complete a much higher number of houses due to their close proximity. Also Northerners value clean windows more than these soft southerners, every 2 weeks in my home town still!

Treating it as a business is important too, sound advice. The financials are achievable. I'm not sure you would be able to reach the relative safety of 3.5k of regular work within 6 months but you can certainly be brining in 3.5k including gutter clearance, conny roof cleans and a bit of pressure washing.

I'm not sure you would be able to reach the relative safety of 3.5k of regular work within 6 month

You don't need to be sure mate.  The fact that we've achieved this on more than a few occasions speaks for itself. ??  - dying of shock! 

Blimey Darren it’s gonna proper kick off now....If there was a bar stool near me, I’d throw it out the window now! Haha

Na i I agree with the treating it like a proper business, if you finish early then yeh canvassing/posting leaflets etc. 

But I personally disagree about how much you should or shouldn’t be earning by this date or by that date. Says who? Yes setting goals is good. But some people have different circumstances, commitments, motivation levels, some people get right place right time, others wrong place wrong time etc etc.

What happens if the next guy comes on here saying you should be doing 2.5k by 3 months & 4K by 6 months. Then you’d be wrong like everyone else. 

But I personally disagree about how much you should or shouldn’t be earning

WOOAHHH -- STOP RIGHT THERE MATE!!   I NEVER -- I REPEAT NEVER -- (and yes the all caps was deliberate) said anyone SHOULD be earning this or SHOULD be earning that -- If I ever typed those words it was NEVER meant in that fashion.  

What I said is that those numbers ARE achievable regardless of where you are and in that time frame specified above. 

Yes needs and must, personal circumstance etc all plays major rolls in it.   Some will have been laid off and need to replace a level of income to maintain a certain lifestyle and expenses,  some will be retiring from a former career with bank behind them and be looking to a round to 'keep busy' as opposed to earn a certain income and others again will be looking for a part time gig to better suit family life etc.  

When I read of lads (or lasses) starting out I always assume (and yes we all know what assumption makes) that it is a full time enterprise they are jumping into and perhaps because I myself run a full time enterprise.  

What I stated above is that those numbers ARE possible, and quite easily achievable,  Not that they SHOULD be any kind of figures that one MUST hit just that they are doable and within the timeframe specified.    

Hope that clarifies it. 

As you know however I have always been more interested in the development and growth of rounds and as such invest a lot of my time and resources in to doing so, this is the side of the business that interests me more so than the actual window cleaning side of it which is why we have nor franchised the company and also  have our lead generation program and our soon to launch digital canvassing service both of which having been tried and tested to death produce better ROI for anyone than traditional canvassing or purchasing existing rounds. 

For the record I am never nor have ever been against purchasing rounds as long as the deal is right and keep a continual eye on what rounds are for sale in my area and by whom as there are a few I would not mind acquiring and would pay a handsome price for.  

Blimey Darren it’s gonna proper kick off now....If there was a bar stool near me, I’d throw it out the window now! Haha

Na i I agree with the treating it like a proper business, if you finish early then yeh canvassing/posting leaflets etc. 

But I personally disagree about how much you should or shouldn’t be earning by this date or by that date. Says who? Yes setting goals is good. But some people have different circumstances, commitments, motivation levels, some people get right place right time, others wrong place wrong time etc etc.

What happens if the next guy comes on here saying you should be doing 2.5k by 3 months & 4K by 6 months. Then you’d be wrong like everyone else. 

Your in the sh1t now laddy. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Back