Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

pump not drawing water, its not far above tank tap.

ks789

As in the title really. Im really hoping its not drawing water because of this ( water is not far above tap in van tank) will find out soon, now producing some more and will fill up tank and try. I fear the worst though as I know its worked before lower than this. pumps working away but none coming through. I really thought I had it cracked when moved pump sideways, no airlocks or problems for months, now this. So i wonder do any of yours not work at this level in the tank?

As in the title really. Im really hoping its not drawing water because of this ( water is not far above tap in van tank) will find out soon, now producing some more and will fill up tank and try. I fear the worst though as I know its worked before lower than this. pumps working away but none coming through. I really thought I had it cracked when moved pump sideways, no airlocks or problems for months, now this. So i wonder do any of yours not work at this level in the tank?
I get this problem sometimes. Chances are the pump just needs purging. Fill the tank above the pump level so the water is at the pump naturally (which is what I think you’re doing). When you turn it on you want to disconnect the hose reel and just let the water flow directly onto the floor. I’ve made myself a connection that allows it to flow right out and bypass the hose reel when I need to do this. I’ve also found if I have the issue in the middle of the day I can purge the pump by blasting it on a high setting even when the water level is below the pump height.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

yeh I have tried that mate, till I was blue. I had this a lot till I positioned the pump sideways and its been faultless for months. But yep its surely air in the system. I think Im gonna work on changing the pipes and attachments in the van to get it better.

yeh I have tried that mate, till I was blue. I had this a lot till I positioned the pump sideways and its been faultless for months. But yep its surely air in the system. I think Im gonna work on changing the pipes and attachments in the van to get it better.
What hose do you use at the min mate? I moved over to John Guest connections for everything a few months back and this problem happens far far less now. I have JG right up to the hose reel. Just before the reel I use a shut off valve and a JG to Barb connection to switch to normal 1/2'' hose. The pressure is much better too. Previously I had to put the controller on 55-60, now 45-50 gives me the same results.

out the tank is just standard garden hose to the pump then from the pump is see through hose which if memory serves me is what came with my 40/21 ro. the fittings on the pump are standard that came with the shurflo. will just try and upload pic, cant find my camera to pc hdmi lead.

Rats, it says you can only upload 4.88 megabytes, its a sony cybershot, aint got camera on my old cheapy phone. But can you picture what I mean? Ive got a feeling that the see through hose going out of the pump to the reel isnt the best for the job. Its thick, good quality hose, but like I say, came with the ro. i think that could be changed for the better. 

Heres what I mean.... Out of the tank I have the John Guest connection which goes straight into the pump. There is a shut off valve in between the pump and tank so I can service the pump while the tank is full of water. The Joh guest continues until just before the hose reel where I had to convert to normal hose. I did search alternatives for this but there are currently no hose reel connections that support speed fit.

Van 1.jpg

I see, yep will try the john guests out, also I do need to change that ro4021 hose from th pump to the reel, as its a right pain anyway. cheers for that bud

I see, yep will try the john guests out, also I do need to change that ro4021 hose from th pump to the reel, as its a right pain anyway. cheers for that bud
Anytime mate. I got my connections from Gardiner's but they no longer sell the connections for either side of the pump, they have a workaround using size extender things though. It's all relatively cheap to be fair. Also worth mentioning that I have some new elbows etc arriving tomorrow to tidy it all up and take the tension off the outlet. I'm aiming for it to look more like one of Doug from Daqua's set ups....

Screenshot 2018-10-28 23.10.17.png

yeh that looks neat. yeh I got brass elbow on the reel, is handy but need to sort out either side of the pump really. Shame the pumps dont come with a tailor made for windies set up, I know its probably straightforward but would make life simpler.

GetAttachmentThumbnail

Ah done it, clicked and pasted it

Ive disconnected from the reel and ran pump full, also put a different connector on so could try and suck airlock out. i think before we even tried pouring water in to clear any lock. in the end we found it worked really well with pump on sideways and its been great for months up till today. Im filling the tank up in morning and see how it goes then, but I dont like the fittings that come with the pump, im sure they could be better.

yeh that clear hose ive got on there is terrible for the purpose, like i say, it came with the ro. It hates being moved eg when you move the reel out onto the road. deffo some alterations in order there. 

It's 100% air in the system what's on the end of that clear hose? Take it off leaving just the hose no attachment turn the pump on full on the controller and keep sucking and it will work then put the connector back on the hose. 

On your pump you should see a manufacturing date. If it’s more than 3 years old I would advise getting a new pump instead of trying to sort it out. If you saw my post about resin beads this is main cause of pumps being damaged. Bit hard to explain but if the resin beads have damaged the diagram then it’s goosed.

Tony the pumps I have worked on have had a strainer fitted. The resin in them is very fine.

You may not have had this type of resin but when you rub the beads they crumble hence why they have made it through to the diaphragm.

I had a call couple of weeks back from someone who was looking for the Flojet strainer as the mesh size is smaller as they were having problems with beads entering their pumps.

Latest Posts

Back