Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Working for sombody else?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Jones

Are most people on this site self employed windies? Or do some of you work for sombody else or have done window cleaning?

Only curious as I’m considering applying for some windowing cleaning jobs in the next town along from me which are available. As I try & build up my own round along side it back in my town. Plus points would be I would gain more experience window cleaning as id be given my own round to run & equipment provided & to see if it’s actually for me before I fully commit. Just trying to see what other people’s experiences have been in this position?

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

You intend to apply for a window cleaning job, learn from your employer and build a round in your spare time and once ready jump ship. I wouldn't be very happy if someone I employed did that and I suspect neither would you.

I think it depends on the employer. If its a guy with one or two employees who works hard to train you it could seem more unfair, but then I also know guys with multiple vans who will proudly tell you "You know such and such? He use to work for me, I trained him!" A lot of the employers I know understand that guys will eventually build up their own round and move on. Maybe a good way to do it is this: Work for a company that does mainly commercial, and build up your own work doing domestic. Then your not stepping on their toes. That's just a idea, no hard and fast rule.

Maybe I will get shot down in flames, but surely anyone employing someone to window clean is aware there is a very good chance of them jumping ship. In my eyes it's fair game. You're the one who has to pay your bills. One of the reasons why I am staying as a one-man band. 

This can work to an advantage.

I had one of my best mates (Danny) working for me for years on the understanding we would build the round up enough for two full time workers.

Once this was achieved, Danny bought his half of the round for a substantial sum.

He now has his own successful round and my bank balance is healthy.

I now have a young lad working with me 3-4 days a week, so every one is happy ? 

I started out employed doing mostly commercial and intended (discussed and agreed upon with my employer of course) to start my own business with subcontracting my current work and building up a domestic route. Certain circumstances and a car accident put that on hold though.

Then I moved country years later and started out cleaning again, first I was employed but it hindered taking on offerings of other subcontract work, thus I (and the wife) started by ourselves. We did mostly subcontracting for up to five different companies at a time, so that was kind of stressful.

Last year a mate moved off the islands and we bought his company, cancelling all subcontracts expect one.

If you are up front about your intentions I don't see the problem.

Back