Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Canvassing new estates

AJ Fry

I’ve got new estates popping up all around me at the moment, not sure if it’s now I’m window cleaning im tuned in to all but the development in the area is crazy. I’m talking 1000s of new houses within 30 minute of me. I guess living 20 minutes in between 2 cities is prime real estate. 

Anyway with all these developments in various stages of completion when is a good time to get in there? Wait till you see cars on the drive or get in there sooner in the showroom and try and leaflet before occupation? 

If anyones had particular success doing it a certain way  that would be great. I’m sure im not the only windy in the area  licking his lips at these new developments 

You will get loads and I mean loads of messers on new build estates. 40% will be social housing, some of the benefits drongos think it’s ok not to pay for the service. Then the ones who you think are on board for the long run drop you like a stone when someone cheaper comes along. I’ve had it happen quite a lot. I’ve also dumped quite a few due to having issues like non payment, or they have to be home because the dog wrecks the house.......

Go for it but don’t expect it to be plain sailing!!

Appreciate the honest reply@Tuffers

Can imagine a lot of undercutting happens with all the local windies wanting a piece of the pie.

I’ll approach with caution and see what comes out in the wash.

All good fun!!

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

I picked up my mum's friend as a customer because their windy was messing them about. When I did it her neighbor asked me to do hers. So on Friday I leafletted the whole street, 100 odd houses. Today got my first reply, customer said the same, the windy never came back. So I might end up getting whole street and on Friday I will leaflet another street next to it. Sometimes you just need an edge.

Most of my work is on new private estates and at least around here I've had a lot of success and a very good retention rate with them. One I'm focusing on at the moment I've canvassed as people move in, as fast as possible! Usually within a few days of them moving in (they put a bow on the door a couple of days before moving day that gives me a head up. Plus I used to ask the builders when various houses were getting occupied).

Of the 147 houses built I've picked up 113 customers and lost 11 over the last 2 years leaving me with 102 active customers. Good customers mainly.

New estates can be pretty good. Though new council estates I'm not sure about.

I picked up another customer just a few minutes ago. Did the flyers on Friday and got 2 customers to do on Friday, first cleans. I was told the window cleaner is unreliable and don't think he is coming back. Its a street of 100 customers 4 in a block type and next to each other. I now have 4 customers but will probably get the rest because I'm reliable as sin, always have been. I realized from an early age that reliability is top of the list.

I have over 200 customers on new build estates; I find that new builds attract the type of people that like to keep their house neat and clean. Just stay away from the social housing; 90%+ are messers.

I’ve got new estates popping up all around me at the moment, not sure if it’s now I’m window cleaning im tuned in to all but the development in the area is crazy. I’m talking 1000s of new houses within 30 minute of me. I guess living 20 minutes in between 2 cities is prime real estate. 

Anyway with all these developments in various stages of completion when is a good time to get in there? Wait till you see cars on the drive or get in there sooner in the showroom and try and leaflet before occupation? 

If anyones had particular success doing it a certain way  that would be great. I’m sure im not the only windy in the area  licking his lips at these new developments 
You need to get in there asap as almost every window cleaner within 30 minutes of you will have already started leafleting or canvassing those estates already, basically, you snooze you loose door knocking is best and will yield the best results

I picked up my mum's friend as a customer because their windy was messing them about. When I did it her neighbor asked me to do hers. So on Friday I leafletted the whole street, 100 odd houses. Today got my first reply, customer said the same, the windy never came back. So I might end up getting whole street and on Friday I will leaflet another street next to it. Sometimes you just need an edge.
yeh this can happen. if your timings right you can clean up, literally. you know the score, a lot of these chaps aint in it for the long haul, or they get nicked drink driving, or fall off a ladder which happened to me in 2003. hospital for a week and just let my round go. moved onto other jobs but the wfp got me thinking and i find it great 

I have over 200 customers on new build estates; I find that new builds attract the type of people that like to keep their house neat and clean. Just stay away from the social housing; 90%+ are messers.
yep i dont have many, nothing against them but round my way most of the social housing is single mums and after they paid out for the kiddies there aint a pot left.

We don't canvass on new builds but that's because as mentioned above they have already been saturated with window cleaners. 

Also with the first time buyer scheme the life span can be quite short when all of a sudden the have to start paying the Government back for the interest as well as the mortage. 

Much prefer getting a foot in on established estates and building from there. 

The social housing is obvious on new estates 90% of the time as it will usually be the tiny two and 3 bed terrace stuff they cram into corners. 

Nothing wrong with social housing, I grew up in it however when the belt needs tightening the luxury services have to be first to be axed.  

Back