Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Muskuloskeletal disorder

lucky10150

Hi everyone, i'm new here, and i've got a lot of questions.

First of all, i'm french so excuse my english. I used to work as a window cleaner every summer since this last five years. I worked in the same company because it's my father's company.
But now i'm an occupational therapist student and i'm working on the question : "how a occupational therapist can prevent musculoskeletal disorders in window cleaners ?"

So i made research, and experimentations with the team of the company. In my researchs, i found that every single worker in the team (they are 17) feel pain at work (some every day, and every time and other only 1 time in a week). The pain is located at the shoulders, neck, and wrist.
We're trying to find some solutions, technics, materials, new organisation to improve well being at work.

So i come to you because i wan't to share on this subject with you.

so my questions are :

- do you experiments pain in same way than my team ?

- do you know about preventing pain in your company or in general ?

- have you got some advice for me on the technic, material, etc.

I will answers of any questions you'll have. thank for the read and sorry for my english again.

Lucas

Hi Lucas

I think window cleaners should have an ice bath like the footballers after a game, as its a strenous job n i think controlling the inflammatory response somehow quickly n effectively.  

Its maybe something already used, but a belt like big fisherman use to cradle the rod maybe could be used for water fed pole, to hold the weight of it.  I think there is a contraption called a wazpak? 

To avoid injury we should all be starting the working day with at least fifteen minutes of stretching exercises.... I don't but I used too when I worked in the oil and gas industry.. Every morning we had a tool box meeting, covered safety and then finished with stretching.. Plus we had to attend every year a muscoskeletal training session.

Very interesting thread this, we all really should do doing a slight warm up in the morning. Currently I have chronic bursitis in left shoulder and tendonitis in right forearm/bicep so I am actively warming up and stretching in the morning at throughout the day, it's tedious but I have to do it. I go the gym now and do some palettes, stretching, swimming etc but am so busy with work that hard to rest my injuries. My back goes every so often so that's why I use 36" squeegee to lessen bending down so much, the flip side to that though is it's heavier and more awkward than smaller squeegees and wrists and forearms that the brunt of it.

This is the thing about we what do, you have to manage your body, especially if you are a one man band, no work = no money. All my ailments are from repetitive strain injuries and not looking after myself properly.... hoping to shake these off or get them under control and be a bit more conscious and smarter about how i manage myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep think a lot of us will relate with this. I’ve been a plumber and bathroom fitter for 12 years and although I’m only 35 it’s already catching up with me through me not looking after myself. My hips and lower back have been a problem for me this year and as a result I’ve had to make changes.

I now hit the gym in the morning doing pretty low intensity stuff but I see it as a warm up, I also swim a couple of times a week which is really helpful.

Rest is certainly important but building strength in those vulnerable parts of our bodies is crucial.

I’ve also only heard good things about Pilates from mates in the trade. All about core strength.

Important thread this boys as we have to look after ourselves

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

I use a wrist brace to avoid strain when working with the long pole (47feet).

And I use belay glasses to take strain off the neck.

They are now an essential part of my work day and I couldn't get by without them.

Back