Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Managing Round To Complete More Work

WCF

Help Support WCF:

GGCleaningServices

I have quite a compact round which is spread over an average of 4 miles. 

It's worth is approximately £3,500 a month but due to health issues (RSI) and some sizeable jobs I am always late for some jobs or worser still I find myself skipping work.

I have over the last few days tried a method of having days where I clean my front only customers and other days where I clean my all round customer jobs only. 

For instance:

Monday - Fronts

Tuesday - All Round 

Wednesday - Fronts

Thursday - All Round

Friday - Fronts

I'm hoping this method of planning my work will help me complete more jobs every month.

Does anyone else here do this or have tried this?

Everyone is different my works considers of 4or 8 weeks I do have some fronts only but they get done at the same times as the ones that have backs also if they are next to each other no way would my compact work be separated due to fronts only that day if that makes sense, what I have done is sat back and look at your set up and see what can be improved to make you more efficient and speed up your working day without knocking your boollixs out. 

For exampke lighter equiptment, electric reels etc this really makes a massive difference.

I'm in the middle of making some changes to my round to free up more space. I can't see that doing fronts only and all rounds will make a difference. You need to plan a route to optimise your round. 4 miles is a long way if you're going to the same street or area several times. There's a free app for your smartphone called Route 4 Me. Put all of your customers in and optimise the route. This will give you the fastest possible route around all of your customers. Once you have them all in order just work out how long each should take 1/2 hr, 45mins, 1 hr etc. Planning to give yourself some lunch and a break in morning just plan each day. I would suggest between 8 & 4 that way you know you will always be able to finish before it gets dark.

If your work is well priced then you aren't full and can probably plan some down days in there to let yourself rest. These days can also be used as catch up if it's been awful weather. If you stick to one route then you will never miss anyone, you may run late for all of your work but you will never miss anyone. If you are having a bad day with your shoulder or whatever then you can just stop and pick up where you left off the next day!

A bigger help with RSI would be new equipment as @Den suggested!

Everyone is different my works considers of 4or 8 weeks I do have some fronts only but they get done at the same times as the ones that have backs also if they are next to each other no way would my compact work be separated due to fronts only that day if that makes sense, what I have done is sat back and look at your set up and see what can be improved to make you more efficient and speed up your working day without knocking your boollixs out. 

For exampke lighter equiptment, electric reels etc this really makes a massive difference.

I am definitely thinking the hose reels or causing my pain and making me tired quicker than they used too, that and age. 

I'm in the middle of making some changes to my round to free up more space. I can't see that doing fronts only and all rounds will make a difference. You need to plan a route to optimise your round. 4 miles is a long way if you're going to the same street or area several times. There's a free app for your smartphone called Route 4 Me. Put all of your customers in and optimise the route. This will give you the fastest possible route around all of your customers. Once you have them all in order just work out how long each should take 1/2 hr, 45mins, 1 hr etc. Planning to give yourself some lunch and a break in morning just plan each day. I would suggest between 8 & 4 that way you know you will always be able to finish before it gets dark.

If your work is well priced then you aren't full and can probably plan some down days in there to let yourself rest. These days can also be used as catch up if it's been awful weather. If you stick to one route then you will never miss anyone, you may run late for all of your work but you will never miss anyone. If you are having a bad day with your shoulder or whatever then you can just stop and pick up where you left off the next day!

A bigger help with RSI would be new equipment as @Den suggested!

With this Route 4 Me can you import your jobs or do you have to manually type in every job address. 

Thanks for your input guys.

With this Route 4 Me can you import your jobs or do you have to manually type in every job address. 
No you would need to input all the postcodes manually. The app isn't something I would suggest using daily, just to plan initially.

As @HALTON has said you can use the @Squeegee App but I believe it only has a route planner for the days work that you have already put in

No you would need to input all the postcodes manually. The app isn't something I would suggest using daily, just to plan initially.

As [mention=2552]HALTON[/mention] has said you can use the [mention=6180]Squeegee App[/mention] but I believe it only has a route planner for the days work that you have already put in
As@P4dstar: has said you need to input your work in to the app but i am sure they can import it if you ask them depending on the program youv already use to organise your round

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I have a old shoulder injury and manual reel really aggravated it having the electric reel almost eliminated it that was the first and probably best invest I made. 

Light pole and brushes along with going tubeless for extra speed.

Try squeegee app it has a rout planner on it @squeegee app

Thanks il take a look.

As @HALTON has said you can use the @Squeegee App but I believe it only has a route planner for the days work that you have already put in

Ok thanks i'm going to download it now and see what it can do for me.

I have a old shoulder injury and manual reel really aggravated it having the electric reel almost eliminated it that was the first and probably best invest I made. 

Light pole and brushes along with going tubeless for extra speed.

I have an xtreme 25 which has helped loads (with the xtreme brush) but ten years on the job has taken its toll. 

Im thinking earlier mornings so I don't rush around as much Is a must.

If you have more work than you can handle, I firmly believe it's due time to cull your worklist.

The principle being, you're better off, and make more money with full books at 8 weeks and higher price, than 4 weeks at lower price.

The traffic-light-method have been mentioned before, and it's a good one.

Personally last january I took a handful of my domestic customers I always lagged behind with, doubled the prices and told them I could only come four times a year. Lost a few sure, but the ones who stuck around is some of my premium customers now.

If the market supplies more than enough work for me, I retain the right to sift through it and keep the best.

That said, lighter equipment is good for RSI. So go get yourself an extreme pole from gardiners.

Thanks il take a look.

I have an xtreme 25 which has helped loads (with the xtreme brush) but ten years on the job has taken its toll. 

Any questions, we're here to help! 

The squeegee team ?

Yes you would have to have the jobs loaded in for the route optimisation and planner to work. However, if you set up rounds first and set a location and frequency on rounds, when entering new customers and selecting schedule by round, it gives you the best match as a suggestion based on location, so you might want to have a look at this option! ?

I apply every one of your pointsapart from one I have more work than I can shake a stick at ?

The point you make that as never occur to me is offering a few customers 4 cleans a year at a much higher price I like that idea as my rounds are 4 or 8 weekly only but new customers are encouraged to go 8 weekly at a higher rate.

@Den whats the clear stuff over the connections of the yellow to green hose.

Also disconnecting the jg fitting do you have any problems due to pressure build up trying to disconnect them .

Thanks il take a look.

I use an extreme 18  and extreme brushes for 90% of my work apart from one day a month when I use Slx18 personally I only use bigger poles when needed and also the opposite I use my clx4 when doing bungalows This really makes a big difference for me as I’m getting old but still a lot younger than @Part Timer

I use an extreme 18  and extreme brushes for 90% of my work apart from one day a month when I use Slx18 personally I only use bigger poles when needed and also the opposite I use my clx4 when doing bungalows This really makes a big difference for me as I’m getting old but still a lot younger than @Part Timer
Dude most people are younger than PT. I heard his national insurance number is 4.

When I started I used a 27ft pole for everything and some days my shoulders and back would be in agony at the end of the day. I bought a 18ft pole and the difference is massive, pretty much eliminated most of my pain and now only use the 27ft for windows over conservatories. Get some lighter equipment and you will notice the difference.

@Den whats the clear stuff over the connections of the yellow to green hose.

Also disconnecting the jg fitting do you have any problems due to pressure build up trying to disconnect them .

Wrong thread lol, polymorph plastic you put it in warm water and mould the shape you want it’s tiny plastic beads the JG fitting separate easy enough turn pump off and then pull univalve for a second or two that releases pressure then disconnect honestly can’t see why everyone isn’t tubeless it’s so quick and speedy best thing I ever done. 

Back